homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Spandexy!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spandexy!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 09:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was innocently looking up old bands on YouTube and I did a search on Cameo. I didn't know they had ever made videos other than the one for Word Up

I'm half blind now and you can be too, just click here

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 20, 2007 10:14      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sinister disco years... everything was possible.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 11:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
...innocently looking ...

When coming from you, Steen, this phrase would be correctly labelled an oxymoron.

As for the video, I guess I should thank you. Few things recently have reminded me so much of growing up at home, and my brothers....

This just in from the Idaho Potato Growers Association (aka: The Spud Pushers) - "Put a potato in for a thrill. It should go in the front."

Just tryin' to help out here.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 12:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't clicked yet..perhaps later.

I'm going to pre-emptively counter with a link to this:
http://folk.uio.no/tsandvik/fun/learn_disco.mpg

(Yes, that's a somewhat dated link.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 14:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudder*

Shame on you Steen, some of us lived through that era, and have no wish to be reminded.

Modern video clips have far better costumes

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 20, 2007 14:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I haven't clicked yet..perhaps later.

I'm going to pre-emptively counter with a link to this:
http://folk.uio.no/tsandvik/fun/learn_disco.mpg

(Yes, that's a somewhat dated link.)

Thanks Dman! Disco is missing from my dancer's booklet, but now I can dance it too! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 14:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
Shame on you Steen, some of us lived through that era, and have no wish to be reminded.

Sorry about that... if it helps, try to remember that there were far better artists who somehow pulled off the spandex look fairly well and will never be remembered without thinking of them strutting around in it.

(I love looking up old artists on YouTube... it's like a personalized version of MTV)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 15:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
try to remember that there were far better artists who somehow pulled off the spandex look fairly well and will never be remembered without thinking of them strutting around in it.

While watching that video, the elder druidling came up, looked at the screen, and asked "is that a boy or a girl".

Out of the mouths of babes...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 15:47      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the weird vinyl-on-vinyl farty noises that the synth is playing iin the Pants song that gets me laughing the most. At first I thought that was added, but I really think it's part of the song.

And Queen? Um, wow. That black-and-white unitard . . . no words. I just, it's like Tim Curry as Dr. Frank-N-Furter playing a harlequin or something.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 15:51      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not (always) spandex, but the King of Glam Rock Fringe . . .

David Lee Roth in "Panama"

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 16:48      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh, dear old Freddie - oh how we miss you!

No one seems able to come close to his greatness these days

Justin from The Darnkess had a stab at it - but he couldn't stay the distance sadly.

I am not a huge fan - but to be honest only Robbie Williams seems to have the sort of stage charisma Freddie did...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 16:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add my favorite spandex clad artist of that period (although she wore leather a lot more often): Joan Jett

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2007 03:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They may not be wearing spandex, but these aussies have a message many GCers can relate to [Wink]

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2007 09:43      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that one [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture