homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Necro-posting:...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Necro-posting:...
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 10, 2007 05:50      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... When does it bug you?

How long does a thread need to be dead for it to be revived, in your opinion?

Does the topic matter, or is it all the same kettle of fish?

Where the heck does the phrase "same kettle of fish" come from?

I was thinking about this. The issue comes up every now and then, but it actually can be kind of confusing, especially to noobers.

What are your thoughts? [Smile]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:42      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually don't mind them if the person has something to genuinely add to the conversation, however if somone is just necroposting to necropost ("Me Too!" posts for some of you [Razz] )then it can get slightly annoying.

I also have no idea where the term "Kettle of fish" came from... *shrug*

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really bugs me when the one doing it doesn't add anything to the conversation, like a "(quote)" + "same here" or an "any more thoughts on that topic?" or just saying again what someone else already said. Actually, the thread doesn't even have to be old. Just opening a recent thread expecting some new insight and instead finding a waste of bandwidth will annoy me. It just is worse when I find myself reading a whole thread just to notice it is months old and I had forgotten about it. Someone doing it repeatedly will go from mild annoyance to irritating.

As for "how old is too old", I'd say more than a couple of weeks. I would understand that someone was away for vacation and just came back, and wanted to add something. Even a month or so if there's a good reason for the delay. But again, I won't get annoyed if the person adds to the conversation - unless the thread is many months old; then I would prefer a new thread with a link to the old one.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 07:06      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think it only applies when the original thread was kinda stupid in the first place - like someone adding to a welcome thread 6 mos later or some such.

If it's one that's designed to be used that way, I'm all for it. Like say - "New Forum Game"... that one could see weeks with no issue.

Otherwise, I don't really mind necro posting if it's within a year or so.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 07:14      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually don't respond to something that is out of the "Today's active topics"

If it's not intresting enough to be replied to in the last day or two then why bother?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 10, 2007 07:27      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to necropost little, but if a topic is interesting enough for me and has little responses, it worths to revive it.
Maybe I was being to rude to Maxillious, he/she made me discover unseen topics [Smile]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 08:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have mentioned before, I think we should be lenient to necro posters, especially if they are new here. I agree it should be "something to add" in any case but many times people are making thier own judgement on what they think is relevent and new. if you don't want to see necro posts then surf the topics with the "most recently added threads" link.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 08:53      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Threads here usually take a conversational style, so I believe keeping that in mind is your best guide regarding necro-posting. Consider whether you would bring up an old conversation for a similar reason in a "real life" situation. After a couple of weeks to a month, it's going to look a little foolish to start commenting on an old conversation if there isn't a significant reason to do so. Just as in those "real life" situations, not being a part of the original conversation wouldn't exempt you from looking foolish for attempting to revive it unnecessarily later.

I agree with WinterSolstice that there are some threads that don't follow a conversational style, in which case I think that the norms can be relaxed a bit, though they probably still should be left alone after several months of inactivity.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 14:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Necroposting has never really bothered me, though I never really do it.

...and a bit of Googling gave this page as the top answer to where the phrase "same/different/fine/pretty kettle of fish" came from.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 19:53      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Necroposting doesn't bother me. If someone has something to say, they should say it. That's what message boards are for.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 01:14      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

...and a bit of Googling gave this page as the top answer to where the phrase "same/different/fine/pretty kettle of fish" came from.

Looking at this I'd have thought being chucked into a kettle of boiling water was a "pretty kettle of fish" for the fish never mind how the pan looked afterwards!

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 17:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Necroposting doesn't bother me. If someone has something to say, they should say it. That's what message boards are for.

I guess that would be where we disagree. Message boards are for conversation in the context of a community, which isn't simply broadcasting one's thoughts to an audience. It's about the group as well as the self; neither one should get top priority in forum communication by default.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture