homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Pursuit of Happyness (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pursuit of Happyness
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 19:17      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I haven't seen the movie but I'd like to point out that, depending on where you live, $1000/month isn't necessarily a windfall, especially if you have a family of any sort. That's what I was paid on some of my summer internships, and it was hard to stretch that over rent and food and living expenses and still try and save something back. And I was all by myself and living in pretty cheap places - no kids, no pets or anything depending on me.

$1000 barely pays for the rent where I am.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 21:24      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
... THe movie "The Secret" is about the law of attraction. That movie glorified consumerism/materialism. The big secret was, fantasize about getting stuff so you'll be happier.

I think those are pretty lame messages.

There's a bit more to the underpinnings of "the law of attraction" (regardless of whether it's labeled "The Secret", various Eastern religious beliefs, or any of a dozen other things). Worded a little differently, it says your thought has power and manifests things in your life, regardless of whether you believe it does or not. In essence, the thoughts you have every moment of the day contribute to shaping your life in a very tangible way. The goal of "The Secret" and other like-branded techniques is to proactively direct that power to bring about things you consciously choose. And I'd guess that the vast majority of people reading about the Law of Attraction choose to use it for exactly the ends you mention: getting "stuff" with the intent of becoming happy. What a trifle.

So let me pose a question: if you knew that focused and directed thought -- believing without doubt that something is already true -- could manifest a change in yourself, your life, or the world, what thoughts would you focus on? What would you "believe"? Put in that context, fantasizing about material wealth seems so...squandered.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 22:36      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, hasn't anyone focused on world peace yet?

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 07:11      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
So, hasn't anyone focused on world peace yet?

If we would all focus in the same direction...

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 08:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$1000/mo won't even make my mortgage payment much less food, insurance, car, power, water, gas, tv, etc.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 09:29      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to remind the users that "Happyness" was set in the early 80's, where $1000 would be worth around $2,400 a month.

There are quite a few families living on 2400 a month today.

Therefore, arguments that his wage would not cover the cost of living are irrelevant and obsolete.

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 11:25      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameGod:
I would like to remind the users that "Happyness" was set in the early 80's, where $1000 would be worth around $2,400 a month.

There are quite a few families living on 2400 a month today.

Therefore, arguments that his wage would not cover the cost of living are irrelevant and obsolete.

From what I can tell, this was set in San Francisco, so $1000 would not go far, not even in the '80s. The Bay Area is not a cheap place to live, and I understand it can be quite difficult to find any housing, much less anything affordable.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 13:28      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never implied that he lived comfortably.

What he could get with $1000 a month in the 80s is subsidized housing, or renting, (the place does not have to be a mansion), as well as food. Only the needs for a living, no luxuries.

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture