homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Apocalypto

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apocalypto
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 15:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this thoroughly entertaining. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] I got my money's worth watching this movie, though I wasn't expecting that.

I don't know all the critical elements of movie-making, but I know by the time I leave the theater whether I've been adequately entertained for the admission price. This one packs a lot of interest for the price. From the opening quote by Will Durant to the end it had our attention rivetted to the screen.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 21:06      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AGREED! All of the factors of a great movie were there:

- Great story
- Awesome acting and stunts
- Relevant message
- Excellent costumes (must have been cold)
- Elements of surprise
- Amazing sets and camera shots

I liked it also for the reason that it dealt with issues of culture. The people lived so close together, and yet they were so different and treated each other as complete strangers. I also liked the relevance of the structure of classes, and how the people in the city looked down on the people of the jungle. It is very much how many people and the media tend to treat those with cultures foreign to us. I also felt sad at the end when they said they were searching for new beginnings, but we know what will eventually happen in history. History repeasts itself all the time, even today.

Loved it. How is this movie rated? Would love to recommend it to my grade 12s!

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture