homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Amateur Review- Phantom of the Opera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amateur Review- Phantom of the Opera
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 7 posted December 06, 2006 19:34      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this is my first ever review, so I'm probably not very good at this. However, I'm still going to give it my best shot.

The subject is the movie The Phantom Of The Opera, the one with Gerald Butler in it.

Well I have recently seen it for the first time, and thought it was amazing. Right down to the singing, and cast. It was breathtaking. Only one part seemed a bit cheesy...in the beginning when the chandelier is being lifted, I think all the extra wind made it look like a bad scene out of an old, dialogueless horror film. Other than that, the effects were perfect, specifically how the music tied in with the actions.
For instance, when Christine and the Phantom first meet, and she puts her hand in his; at that precise moment, the music gets very loud and fast, changing the mood.
The singing was fantastic. I loved how when the given singer was walking or running or something, there was more labored breathing. This made it seem like the person was actually singing at the time, not recorded and added in later.
The casting was pretty good. I could have seen different actors/actresses in different parts, but thats ok.
Oh, one thing that bothered me. Gerald Butler pronounced 'monsieur' the wrong way. Its supposed to sound like (MEHS-syoo) not (MOHN-syur). But all the other accents were great, and I'd be inclined to believe that many were authentic.
Another small complaint is that, like most movies that are based off books, they skipped many details. I was expecting this, though.
The props, costumes, and sets were PHENOMENAL. There is no other word to describe it. i do not think they could have been any better. Especially Carlotta's attire...amazing. I didn't research it, but the seamstresses must have spent months on each dress.
Also, I liked the overall mood of it. It was modernized, but not too much so that it didn't feel like the time period. Coming from someone who devouts most of their time to the theatre club (hours a day, every day, year round), take my word that it is considerably difficult to accomplish that happy medium. They did it though.
Another thing i liked was the constant references to black and white. Added to the overall grandeur of it all.

So, overall, the movie was great. An outstounding job was done. If I had to rate it, I'd give it....an A-.

ps. However, to make it perfect,I would have made some changes. Of course, what I have listed above ( like the wind, etc.). I wouldn't have minded some different casting. (the cast did excellent though!). Perhaps someone similar to Antonio Banderas (but a bit younger) playing the Phantom. And the part of Raoul is practically screaming Cole Sutera's name. Everyone else, I would have kept the same. I would like to see the movie lengthened, with more details.
ALso, a change to the plot (now this is just me being picky). I think the Phantom should have murdered Raoul, and Christine should have fallen for the Phantom. I think the Phantom's identity as a human should have remained a secret. But like I said, thats just me being picky.

Anyway, if you've seen the movie, I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you haven't seen it, I recomment you do.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 20:10      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ALso, a change to the plot (now this is just me being picky). I think the Phantom should have murdered Raoul, and Christine should have fallen for the Phantom. I think the Phantom's identity as a human should have remained a secret. But like I said, thats just me being picky.
... and OMG! You've got to be shitting me! You can't change the plot to the Phantom of the Opera! IT WAS WRITTEN IN 1909 by a french novelist Gaston Lerox (sp?)!

You can't just re-write a classic! It's almost 100 years old and is the single most selling/viewed musical ever in production. Not to mention one of the longest running productions. There have been more than 10 TV and Movie productions in english alone but here you are, a 16 year old girl wanting to re-write one of the most acclaimed, most successful, and longest running productions in the history of theatre (only to be exceeded by Les Misérables, and Cats)!

Die. Just Die!

EDIT:
mon·sieur: [muhs-yur; Fr. muh-syɶ]
–noun, plural mes·sieurs[meys-yurz, mes-erz; Fr. me-syɶ] the conventional French title of respect and term of address for a man, corresponding to Mr. or sir.

They said it fine. Note: that's from dictionary.com.

never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 20:46      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
... and OMG! You've got to be shitting me! You can't change the plot to the Phantom of the Opera! IT WAS WRITTEN IN 1909 by a french novelist Gaston Lerox (sp?)!

You can't just re-write a classic! It's almost 100 years old and is the single most selling/viewed musical ever in production. Not to mention one of the longest running productions. There have been more than 10 TV and Movie productions in english alone but here you are, a 16 year old girl wanting to re-write one of the most acclaimed, most successful, and longest running productions in the history of theatre (only to be exceeded by Les Misérables, and Cats)!

Die. Just Die!

EDIT:
–noun, plural mes·sieurs[meys-yurz, mes-erz; Fr. me-syɶ] the conventional French title of respect and term of address for a man, corresponding to Mr. or sir.

They said it fine. Note: that's from dictionary.com.

Haha, as contradictory as this sounds, I actually agree with the 'can't change a classic' thing. I mean, I wish it were written differently to begin with. Like i said, i was just being picky. I do love it the way it is, anyhow.

He did pronounce it wrong. The 'n' is not pronounced, which is my problem, which is what I said to begin with. I don't care about the 'syoo' part. Its pronouncing the 'n' that irks me.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 21:07      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You can't just re-write a classic! ...

Tell that to Hollywood, after all if they can rewrite history, what is to stop them rewriting a classic?

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 22:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You can't just re-write a classic! It's almost 100 years old...

Actually, the version you probably know has already been 're-written'. In the original French version, the central character wore a chicken mask. Ladies and gentlemen, I present The Bantam of the Opera
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 06:13      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by never_ask_why333:
I don't care about the 'syoo' part. Its pronouncing the 'n' that irks me.

Its the way you're way too quick to change your story when you've been corrected that irks me. Every time.
I don't mean this as an attack, but more an encouragement to defend your point of view more strongly.
(note: if its a valid point, because I won't hesitate to start talking about dogs with eight legs and car horns again. don't try me.)

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 07:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never_ask_why333 wrote:
Only one part seemed a bit cheesy...in the beginning when the chandelier is being lifted, I think all the extra wind made it look like a bad scene out of an old, dialogueless horror film.

Oddly, in the old, silent horror film version of the story, the chandelier scene does't have a lot of wind and wasn't as overdone as it was in the 2004 version. The newer version of the scene isn't too bad, though, even with the wind.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 08:08      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn\'t like the guys wheel chair. It was too new. Maybe if it only had one wheel it would have made for a better environment of the film. A better feel.
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 09:07      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:

Its the way you're way too quick to change your story when you've been corrected that irks me. Every time.
I don't mean this as an attack, but more an encouragement to defend your point of view more strongly.
(note: if its a valid point, because I won't hesitate to start talking about dogs with eight legs and car horns again. don't try me.)

Honestly, I think she WAS saying that the n was what bothered her... just an observation.
Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 15:17      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:

Honestly, I think she WAS saying that the n was what bothered her... just an observation.
Thank you.

And Business Attire, i do appreciate the help, but in this case, I don't feel it was fit. the very first post I wrote on this topic said:

Oh, one thing that bothered me. Gerald Butler pronounced 'monsieur' the wrong way. Its supposed to sound like (MEHS-syoo) not (MOHN-syur).

Jace attempted to correct by posting:

EDIT:

but as you see, my problem was the n. in the edit, the n is not pronounced, so therefore it is incorrect.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture