homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » WoW as good as SWG?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WoW as good as SWG?
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 07:59      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been playing WoW (World of Warcraft) now for about 2 months. Before this I was playing SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) for over a year.

So far I like all the MMORPG games I've played (All 2 of them lol) but I switched to WoW because I can play it on my Mac and my PC is starting to get a little dated.

I do like SWG more the WoW for a couple of reasons. I'm not saying WoW is bad, just not as good as SWG.

SWG seems more spread out and larger scope. I could play for hours in a remote area and not see another gamer at all. Just me doing a couple missions by myself. WoW seems a bit smaller. You sometimes have to fight for kills and gathering resources. Always someone else around.

Also in SWG a lvl 1 could get a speeder. As a matter of fact with the NGE it was the first mission you did was getting one. You have to wait till lvl 40 in WoW to get a mount. And you have to save the whole time till lvl 40 to get one. That and in SWG you could get multi-passenger speeders. So a group can all travel together for a mission. If a lvl 40 with a mount wants to do a mission with a lvl 39 they are both walking.

That and with the speeder a low lvl can explore everything more in SWG. You go fast enough that you probably won't die when exploring around high lvl areas. If you want to leave Elwyn Forest in WoW you have to be at leaste lvl 9 if not you die right away. And sam thing with the rest of the areas. You have to be a certin lvl just to see differnt parts of the game. I like to know where everything is.

Then there is the player cities and houses. In SWG there are whole cities that are player built and run. You could own your own house or 3. You could store a ton of stuff. When new people came into our guild at lower lvls they would always have a ton of stuff available because the high lvl players always stored so much stuff. That and you start out with 80 spaces of storage on you and can have a back pack for another 50 spaces. And everyone got a back pack free when you hit a certin lvl. In WoW you start with 16 slots and have to buy expensive bags to hold more. And I think the highest you can go is 18 slots and can have 4 of them and can't upgrade your 16 slot starting bag.

Then there is the in game economy. In SWG it's about 99.9% player based economy. In WoW it's only about 65%. You could search every vender in the galaxy to get the best price on something. And it was really simple. In WoW people seem to be greedy and put looted items up for way more then anyone can afford. This brings about something they call in game "Twinks". And it's really annoying for doing PVP. What happens is someone that is lvl 60 (The highest lvl in WoW) gets board and can make a lot of money fast. They buy up low lvl Blue and purple items (The best weapons and armor in the game) and create a low lvl charecter and give all this stuff to them. Then they do pvp because they have nothing better to do or something. And then a lvl 12 can take out a lvl 18 with ease. Because they have all there stats up and huge armor bonus do to all the stuff purchased by there high lvl. This gets really annoying. In SWG there really isn't this super armor and weapons that you find in there. People talk about there weapons in SWG and list the stats and it seems to be plus or minus 1-3 out of thousands. Where as the difference in WoW weapons and armor is 10-50 out of only hundreds. Giving huge bonuses to thoes people. It makes the PvP aspect of the game horrible.

Then there is battle grounds. It is where people from all the servers can go and fight to get honor and increase there rank in WoW. It is the only way you can increase your rank. In SWG you can kill enamy NPC's to do this or do PvP. Also there are no battle grounds. People where allowed to talk to people of the other factions. In SWG you could be a reble and do missions with an Imerial. They also had mixed guilds. Imps and rebs in the same guild. They usually focused more on the missions part of the game and less on PvP. And then there was all reb and all imp guilds that did more PvP. And guild leaders talked and set up huge PvP battles for fun. And it was fun. In WoW you can not even talk to someone of the other faction. When they talk it comes up as gibberish. so no setting up these kinds of battles. it's all done in the annoying battle grounds.

Then there is being able to change what you do. If your a Jedi in SWG you can give that up and be a comando or officer or bounty hunter if you want. In WoW you select it before you start and are stuck with Mage or Palidin or Warlock and have to create a new charecter if you want to try something new and this means starting over from scatch every time. Granted SWG only gives you 2 per sever and WoW gives you .... well I have 5 right now and can still create more on my server.

Then there is leveling. In SWG getting to a high lvl meant a lot of work. In one year time I still had not gotten to lvl 90 (The highest lvl) and in one month (I've been playing for 2 but my highest I've had for 1) is already up to lvl 40. And the last 20 seem to be as easy as the first 20. There is not much of a challange. Not only do I have that one up to 40 but I also have a lvl 20 and a lvl 22 and a lvl 10 and one lvl 5. and I've deleted some even.

So thats what I have to say about that. I doubt they will ever port SWG to the Mac but untill I get that shiny new MacBook Pro that I can run windows on to play SWG I'm going to be playing WoW.

That and I miss my lighsaber and X-wing.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 15:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice review,

If you haven't done so i recomend you try the mmorph guild wars. The latest game is called guild wars nightfall. It is very smillar to swg and wow but with its own unique benefits and drawbacks. Plus the game has free online play.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 13:36      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have been playing WoW for almost 2 years now on the European Servers, but I never played SWG.

The thing with WoW is that there are a lot more players, so popular spots fill up quickly, I can even remember having to queue to kill certain unique quest monsters.

Servers are divided into 4 categories:
PvP servers free PvP in non faction controlled areas.
PvE servers where PvP outside of the BGs is voluntary.
RP servers where playing the character is the most important and your name must be role-play.
RPPvP servers

Now chosing your beginning server is important as it will define your style of play.

Note that those last 20 levels are going to be hard, it took me 15 total playing days (i.e. 15x24 hrs), to make 60th this was dragged out over almost a year.

Yes once a class is chosen you can not change it, but the fact that you can post money and items between your characters certainly helps a lot.

I find the game enjoyable, though sometimes the combat system and the crafting system a bit simplistic, when compared with say Dark Age of Camelot.

There are a lot of changes coming down the line with the new extension coming out in january so we will see if this helps.

One of the major problems you have with the economy in WoW is the gold resellers or chinese farmers. These, literally, are quite often asian companies who hire people to play WoW to get gold and items. The items are then sold on and all the gold collected and offered back to the players for real money, quite often by using the intermal mail system, advertising on the general channel or private messages..
This is illegal and I report as many as I can, indeed the GMs are starting to get to know me by now.

What happens is that some players with more money than sense do buy gold from these people and so they have more money with which to buy things and so they push up the prices to insane levels.

PvP can be done outside the BGs, even on a PvE server, just type '/PvP' and this will turn your PvP flag on.
On a PvP server, you are automatically PvP on when you enter certain areas, the neutral areas (gold areas) and the opposite faction controlled areas (red areas).
On PvP servers there are special PvP missions in certain areas too.
Best PvP BG is the 10-19 area though you can get some really bad twinks in there.

My fun now is doing the high level instances with my guild where you need tactics to be able to take out the bosses.

All in all I like the game as a pasttime and until a better MMORPG comes a long will continue to play it.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 06:26      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't buy money. I think it's part of the game to get it yourself. It makes it more intresting and I can be more proud of showing off the stuff I do purchase.

I have a pally that just got Plate armor and I always go for sets. I finished the Emosed just 2 days ago. it's one of 3 sets of plate that you can get the whole set at lvl 40. I am almost up to lvl 42 and was going to start to purchase my 2nd set of plate but the 2 sets that I want I won't be able to equip till a few more lvl's.

The Bloodforged set I can finish the set at lvl 46 or I can go with the Jade and finish that set at lvl 48. The Jade is better armor but doesn't look as nice as the Bloodforged.

The funny thing about my pally is that it does Tailoring. My lvl 22 Mage has an awesome set of cloth armor out of it. The reason behind taking up tailoring was becouse I thought people where to greedy and where charging way to much for bags. When I started making 10 slot bags they where going for about 90s on AH. I brought the whole price down a lot by flooding the market with bags that cost 55s instead. Now other people are selling them for around 50-60s each. Now that I'm into the Mageweave bags 12 slot I am selling them again for way under the going cost. They where going for 1g 50s now it's closer to 90s. Mageweave bags are cheaper to make then the silk and hold more. It just takes longer to get the mats for it.

Everyone in my guild owns bags made by me. Guild members share professions for free. At leaste in my guild they do. Sometimes we ask for the person getting the item or enchantment to get the mats and we will do it but if the person doing it has them they will just give them the item.

My guild is doing a Profession drive week to get our skills up as much as possible and having a guild event at the end of the week to do a swap of items and services. I do like the people in my guild I guess it's the only reason I don't upgrade my PC. I think I'm just addicted to MMORPG's lol.

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:22      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know what's better than both WOW and SWG?

Sex.

(...grumbles the ex-WOW-widow.) [Razz]

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 10:53      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Y'know what's better than both WOW and SWG?

Sex.

(...grumbles the ex-WOW-widow.) [Razz]

But you need to have something to do with the other 23 hours and 55 minutes of the day.

--------------------

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 11:47      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
But you need to have something to do with the other 23 hours and 55 minutes of the day.

Booze! And first person shooters! [Big Grin]
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 12:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or have sex 287 more times

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture