homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Borat (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Borat
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 09:56      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very lame mixture of Mahir, national lampoons and a fat naked dude - neither funny enough, nor offensive enough. Don't waste your time...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 10:02      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was funnier as social commentary than as comedy film. It's pretty scary the sort of things people will say and do when they think it will only be seen by people in another country.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 10:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was good. It is satire(see a modest proposal) as well as low brow jokes. It is not the normal ha ha funny stuff that comes out of hollywood. Cohen is able to show how minor racism is wrong by taking it to the nth degree. I don't generally go for "reality" entertainment but this was done well.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 13:14      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was definitely shock humour to the extreme. I liked when Borat was getting humour lessons and he started talking about how his retarded brother got at his prostituting sister after a lot of "vagine" taunting. I don't know if the frat boys were staged or not, but they were dumb nonetheless. My Jewish friend is dying to see it [Smile]
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 13:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
Was definitely shock humour to the extreme. I liked when Borat was getting humour lessons and he started talking about how his retarded brother got at his prostituting sister after a lot of "vagine" taunting. I don't know if the frat boys were staged or not, but they were dumb nonetheless. My Jewish friend is dying to see it [Smile]

The "frat" boys scene was halfway staged. They are also sueing despite the fact they signed waivers to apper in the movie because they were told that the movie would only be shown overseas. The frat boys were also apperently taken to a bar to get them intoxicated before taking them in the RV to go pick up Borat.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 16:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen it m'self, but from what I've heard...

I wonder if anyone would laugh at a muslim comedian portraying such a negative stereotype of jews.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 16:27      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard on the news that the preacher whose wife was "not so much this one" is also suing.

One of the feminazis is publicly berating Borat because "she didn't have time to read the waiver". It was a very precise document which mentions misleading statements and outright fraud. I also read her statements about her artwork and she's a nut.

They were starstruck and signed without having a lawyer read it. These days I can email a doc to my lawyer and have him ok or kybosh it within an hour.

I almost puked when the naked fat guy and Borat went at it. It was combination "I can't believe it" and "Oh crap my 15 year old son is watching!"

We hid our faces till the wife gave the all clear. I highly recommend it. Too bad "pummella" was a little fat looking - my son was upset about that.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 17:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:

I almost puked when the naked fat guy and Borat went at it. It was combination "I can't believe it" and "Oh crap my 15 year old son is watching!"

I mostly just laughed at the unnecessarily long black bar they had covering Borat's genitals (and wondered why they didn't do us that same courtesy for the other guy's scrotum [Eek!] ).

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 17:42      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get a glimpse of the long censor bar as they ran to the elevator. Great! Then I covered my son's and my eyes and let the wife advise us as to the safety of the screen.

High Five!

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 07:37      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It was combination "I can't believe it" and "Oh crap my 15 year old son is watching!"

Why on earth would you take your son to see that? I'm guessing you're not fromt he states as it's restricted there.

quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I wonder if anyone would laugh at a muslim comedian portraying such a negative stereotype of jews.

The actor is Jewish, and usually people are more relaxed about those insulting their own heritage. But I guess he's really a Jewish actor making fun of Muslims, Americans, Blacks, the metally handicapped, women, and Jews.

quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I mostly just laughed at the unnecessarily long black bar they had covering Borat's genitals (and wondered why they didn't do us that same courtesy for the other guy's scrotum [Eek!] ).

That guy was so fat he sensored himself [Razz]

I'm confused as to why this movie is only PG14 in Canada. I know I heard lots of swearing and definitely saw lots of nudity that should have made it restricted. What's up with that??

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 07:48      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
It was combination "I can't believe it" and "Oh crap my 15 year old son is watching!"

Why on earth would you take your son to see that? I'm guessing you're not fromt he states as it's restricted there.
It's rated "R" here, but a parent can take their own child if they choose to. It's not illegal.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 07:58      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically it's not even illegal to take a young child to an NC-17 movie, it's just against movie theaters' policies. The ratings are guidelines and don't have the force of law. Movies don't even have to get ratings if they don't want to, but most choose to since it's easier to market them.

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 08:13      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The actor is Jewish, and usually people are more relaxed about those insulting their own heritage. But I guess he's really a Jewish actor making fun of Muslims, Americans, Blacks, the metally handicapped, women, and Jews.

Like Sarah Silverman? (She's easily more offensive than Cohen...although much more along the stand-up vein.)
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 08:44      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think this self-deprecation in comedy has a huge impact against xenophobia. Wikipedia doesn't suggest any such link, but it kinda makes sense to me.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the metally handicapped (...)

(Sorry - too good to pass!) You mean, people in wheelchairs, aluminum crutches and other assistive/prosthetic tools? [Big Grin]

quote:
I'm confused as to why this movie is only PG14 in Canada. I know I heard lots of swearing and definitely saw lots of nudity that should have made it restricted. What's up with that??

Hmmm, not enough violence, maybe? Seriously, youngs 14 and older are either already swearing or hear others swear all the time on the street; and they've already tried seeing the other sex in the nude. Why should we pretend that doesn't exist? As a Canadian, I view bad language and nudity (when no sex involved) as pretty harmless for teens. Let's keep the higher ratings for really serious things (violence, violence against women or ethnic minority, extreme violence, gore, cruelty, explicit sexual acts, and the like).

Actually, I think that seeing "heroes" smoking is worse for teens than hearing them swear. Swearing doesn't damage health, and isn't addictive; it's just a bad language habit that can be corrected (as long as one cares).

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:24      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
aluminum crotches

Typo of the year! [Big Grin]

(Gives new meaning to the old feminist nickname "ironbox," now, doesn't it?)

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 14, 2006 10:50      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[blush] (Corrected it. Making a funny typo - or was that a freudian slip? [crazy] - when pointing at a funny typo is a shame...)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 12:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Swearing ... isn't addictive;
I think you'd change your mind if you ever met me IRL. I tend to 'flavour' things without even thinking about it.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 13:42      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Swearing ... isn't addictive;
I think you'd change your mind if you ever met me IRL. I tend to 'flavour' things without even thinking about it.
There's quite a difference between addiction and habit...

Regarding Borat.

I've never laughed so hard during a movie, and compared to the crap that's been coming out more recently, "Borat" was a welcome change.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 14:28      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

(Sorry - too good to pass!) You mean, people in wheelchairs, aluminum crutches and other assistive/prosthetic tools? [Big Grin]
No, I think she meant people who got their eyes melted by the awesome power of death metal [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 14:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

My point precisely.

A jew telling jewish jokes is one thing, a jew impersonating a jew-hating, horse-fscking, gay muslim is something quite different.

But I supose I should wait until I've seen the movie before I start judging the guy.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 15:11      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:

LOL, broken wheelchairs and crutches I guess...
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 21:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Borat's ticket sales going through the roof now...

http://b3ta.com/board/6516823 [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2006 16:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I saw it. It was funny, it was offensive, but not up to the hype. The rubber fist was amusing though.

TFD, why do you think Borat is Muslim? I'm asking because I was under the impression he was areligious. Anti-semitic, but otherwise areligious. Until the megachurch got to him and he and Mr. Jesus went to LA to marry Pamela Anderson "Kazaki style". That scene in the church was kinda scary, in an odd way.

I have since found out the Baron Cohen had the police called on him no less than 91 times throughout the filming and that, in the scenes when he and Azamat are talking to each other, Borat is speaking Hebrew and Yiddish with a faked up Russian accent and his buddy Azamat is speaking Armenian.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2006 16:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
TFD, why do you think Borat is Muslim?

As I said, I haven't seen the movie, but based on what little I've read, Borat's from Kazakstan, a predominantly muslim country, so, unless he specifically mentions his non-muslimness (muslimity? muslimidute? muslimiosity?), I'd assume he is supposed to be muslim.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture