homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » The Rage in Placid Lake - a must see for geeks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Rage in Placid Lake - a must see for geeks
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 27, 2006 06:24      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having only just seen this on DVD, I would have to say that this is one of the best movies I have seen. It's a comedy, sort of black, sort of romatic and definately aimed at geeks, whatever the flavour.

Let's get the easy bit over with
IMDB page for "The Rage in Placid Lake"

Feel free to search for it on Amazon. However for those of you not down under, it may be a little hard to track down.

I found this movie sings to my geeky and non-conformist side. Corporate culture cops a serve, as does pretty much any cultural view that has appeared in a movie before. It is similar to "The Breakfast Club" but with off-beat humour and is aimed at a more mature age group.

Try as I might I can't really summarise the movie. I love the comparison of corporate against hippie culture, high-school identity against "adult" identity and the simple depiction of a friendship and romance between geeks.

For those of you I have convinced to see it, watch out for the scene where Placid is leaving for work. If that isn't the most succinct (and humourous) rendition of modern parenting then please, tell me where I can see it.

So please, check it out and let me know what you think of it.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 17:09      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto the recommendation. I really enjoyed this as well, even if WeirdArms & I tend to think that Ben Lee's music is a bit overbearing & overly introspective. As an actor he does a great job, and the movie is quietly humourous, quirky, and enjoyable. A fun Aussie flick, definitely.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture