homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip
CaptMurdock
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5796

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted September 24, 2006 09:17      Profile for CaptMurdock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NBC had premiered this show at 10 PM Tuesday night, well after my bedtime. I was more than a little annoyed. I had been looking forward to this show...

...and then Bravo showed the premiere Wednesday night at 8 PM PST. Yay! (Given that NBC owns Bravo, not totally unexpected.)

Iím an afecianado of media history, and knowing the backstage history of Saturday Night Live just made this show even more fantastic than it was. Ladies and Germs, Aaron Sorkin Is Back. The dialogue, the pacing, the camera work, the production design, itís all incredible.

Matthew Perry pulls off an amazing performance. This is not Chandler Bing from Friends, gang. I always felt he had far more range than just that character, and last night he proved me correct.

Bradley Whitford, too, was great. Granted, this character is somewhat reminiscent of Josh Lyman, but you say that like itís a bad thing. Amanda Peet as the network president who brings them back to the show after the old producer (Judd Hirsch) had a live-on-air meltdown...Iíve seen the critiques that decried her as too young for the job. Not at all. Television has been skewing younger for decades now. There have been several predictions of her being ďMandiedĒ after the first season. Weíll see.

I have a new show worth watching. Praise be to Aaron. [Applause]

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 23:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, isn't Amanda Peet the star of "Pepper Dennis"? Or am I confusing her with someone else? And if she is the girl from Pepper Dennis, then does that mean the show was canceled or is she just picking up "extra hours," as it were? I really liked "Pepper Dennis"... when I was home to watch it.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 00:59      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Hey, isn't Amanda Peet the star of "Pepper Dennis"? Or am I confusing her with someone else? And if she is the girl from Pepper Dennis, then does that mean the show was canceled or is she just picking up "extra hours," as it were? I really liked "Pepper Dennis"... when I was home to watch it.

Rebecca Romijn (formerly -Stamos) aka "Mystique" was the star of Pepper Dennis, according to the almighty IMDB, seems to have actually existed for 13 episodes... tho you couldn't prove it by me...

As to Studio 60, I watched the pilot, and it's at least Tivo-worthy... I liked the writing, the pacing (even though I'm not that familiar with Sorkin's other work), and yes, even Matthew Perry's non-Chandler character. (Side note: His dad is John Bennet Perry, of 240-Robert fame). Amanda Peet I'll need some time to decide, but this is one of the first non-Sci Fi, non-CSI/NCIS (Side note: Mark Harmon of NCIS played John Bennet Perry's partner on 240-Robert - it's all related) shows that I've had any interest in watching for a while. Of course, I love meta-TV - TV shows about TV shows.

I wish them luck with it... as for 30 Rock, with Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey... well.. we'll see...

=DB

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 11:10      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one knock I have against Sorkin is that he burns brightly and crashes quickly.

I'm sure the show is good. I will be OK next year, then the studio will have to pry scripts from him.

For top-rate TV, I've enjoyed HBOs "The Wire," it''s on kinda late, too. Interesting thing about this show is that it's the characters who don't last long. I think that keeps this show fresh without experiencing writer burn out.

It's a very interesting venue for actors who don't like getting typecast, plus an interesting one for the writers.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture