homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Snakes On A Plane!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snakes On A Plane!
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 21:00      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, I can't be the only one here who's seen it.

It's bloody AWESOME B-movie fare. Hilarious, snappy, plenty of gratuitous T&A, and of course the line everyone's been talking about...I loved it, especially with the geek contingent filling up the theater with cheers and applause at every ridiculous scene. [Big Grin]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 21:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure Xanthine already saw it, based on another thread, so you're not the only one. [Razz] I can't say that I'd care to see it for two reasons:
a. I don't care for snakes at all
b. After all this friggin' hype, I have no wish to help this movie make lots of money

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 20, 2006 22:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was fscking funny. Especially since the whole audience got involved. I truly enjoyed it, evne though under ordinary circumstances snakes creep me out completely.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darren Duncan
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 23:12      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that there's an existing thread about this movie to attach it to, I'll mention that ...

Earlier today, I updated the Wikipedia page for "Snakes on a Plane" to link to the JoT cartoon about it, "Sapiens on a Planet".

Eg, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_on_a_plane and scroll down halfway under the "Internet" heading to see it.

Seemed like a good opportunity to spread the existence of JoT to new people.

Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 01:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooo ... All Your Snakes are Belong to Us! That was so cute.

(on the Wikipedia page about the film)

IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 07:46      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it on Friday night. It was everything I expected it to be. It has the typically absurd plot of most slash and gore horror films, but instead of a teenage waif fighting ghouls, it had SAMUEL L. JACKSON kicking viper butt (well, neck actually, they have no butts). It was pure entertainment, without being diluted by art.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 07:57      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of gratuitous T&A, and plenty of snakes biting the above. What can possibly be more awesome?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 09:54      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
b. After all this friggin' hype, I have no wish to help this movie make lots of money

At this point, I don't think your $8.50 matters...it's number one at the US box office. [Applause]
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 12:17      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally not going to see the movie just because of the title and the main reason it went from being pg 13 to being rated R. Honestly could the writer of the script not thought of a better title.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 13:01      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
I personally not going to see the movie just because of the title and the main reason it went from being pg 13 to being rated R. Honestly could the writer of the script not thought of a better title.

They did, and Samuel L. Jackson threatened to walk out on the project if they changed it. Apparently the title was the only reason he took the project.

Also neat, the whole movie was spawned from a drinking game at New Line, with writers settling a bet on who could craft the worst pitch.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 14 posted August 21, 2006 18:50      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was almost as silly, goofy and scary as "Snakes in the White House."

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 21:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://b3ta.com/board/6241614

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 21:32            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute ^_^

All Your Snakes Are Belong To Us (YouTube)

canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 17:43      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have yet to actually go and see the movie... but Samuel L. did make a FABULOUS appearance on the daily show

NOTE: I apologize in advance for the obligatory adverts that accompany this video

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 18:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I got a weird one about Bill Shatner's roast at that address, with some really fucked up ASX that I had to pull apart in HTTP Werkzeug to fish out the stream URL, since neither WMP nor Media Player Classic understood it.
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 21:17      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the movie.

Worst, great movie ever!

shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 17:55      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Just saw the movie.

Worst, great movie ever!

I disagree, It was by far the best, terrible movie ever.
Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 10:35      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shriver:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Just saw the movie.

Worst, great movie ever!

I disagree, It was by far the best, terrible movie ever.
No, I think the winner of those are Evil Dead I and II! Gool 'ol Bruce Campbell...

-

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 15:31      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't beive the movie-going public fell for this.

Not when they had Ricky Bobby.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 11:56      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:

Will Ferrel's a talentless, unfunny hack whose only gimmick is "acting childish while screaming a bunch," unless his hand is forced by a director who really knows what they're doing and won't let Ferrel's dicking around get in the way of a good movie. (E.g. "The Producers" 2005.) I fail to see his appeal.

There. I said it. [Razz]

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 12:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:

Will Ferrel's a talentless, unfunny hack whose only gimmick is "acting childish while screaming a bunch," unless his hand is forced by a director who really knows what they're doing and won't let Ferrel's dicking around get in the way of a good movie. (E.g. "The Producers" 2005.) I fail to see his appeal.

There. I said it. [Razz]

I wholeheartedly disagree.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 16:45      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally dislike mostly all of the so called "stupid" movies. If i want a cheap laugh i have the internet and television. There's no need for me to spend 2 hours stuck in a theatre for a cheap laugh when i can get one at home for the same price.

the only time i go to a movie theatre is when there is a movie out i think is worth my 8 bucks and can only be viewed on the big screen for the full expierence.

If you want a moron screaming around like an idiot then go to Youtube there's like a dozen new video clips a week with that sort of gimmick.

I think that there are way to many movies coming out this summer which don't even deserve a rental let alone going to a movie theatre and spending money on. Yes i know some ppl like Ricky Bobby and snakes on a plane but if you go to the movie theatre every time a movie like that comes out then you will be spending a lot of hours in the theatre.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 17:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Jackie Chan's The Tuxedo was on earlier, when I'm alone I'm a bit of a sucker for watching whatever daft film is on. Very daft, very silly but enough good moments to be entertaining. (Come on, a car chase through town in which the chase car is a computer-controlled skateboard with a bomb attached just cannot be missed [Big Grin] Damn ...)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture