homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Fedora Core 5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fedora Core 5
pocadotty
Newbie Larva
Member # 5055

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted April 29, 2006 00:15      Profile for pocadotty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Fedora Core 5 on my system and I love it.

First off, like all good Linux systems it is fast and reliable, haven't had a single problem with it.

secondly it is easy to use. This is especially useful because Linux systems can have quite a learning curve for those that are unfamiliar with it.

Thirdly there is a lot of resources out there for it, most programs have binaries made for Fedora Core 5 that makes the installing things easy.

Fourthly, it has yum built in, which to date is my favorite package and update manager, with atp coming in a close second.

Fifthly a lot of great software comes with it, like eclipse, open office, and a myriad of development tools... which saves you the hassle of going out and getting them manually.

One drawback is it does not have decent audio and video stuff built in... that I had to get on my own so I could play mp3s and mpegs... thankfully however there are some reciprocities that you can find that make it easy to set up.

All in all I think its a great OS and I recommend it to any geek! especially if you are into software development

Posts: 8 | From: Boise Idaho | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 00:25      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer debian.

Though, I must say, after having used YDL for several years and been introduced to yum, I find it a great tool for doing updates.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 00:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use an HD installed and Very customized version of Knoppix (Knoppmyth). Since, I've sucessfully dist-upgraded, and it's almost a normal Frankin'-Debian box...

That is, it's not testing, it's not unstable, it's not stable... It's a little bit of everything. Which means it's a miracle that the dist-upgrade worked.

As for FC, we use it for our Linux Install Seminars (IEEE-Computer Society at UW-Milwaukee). It's a simple install, and nice distro for people who haven't used Linux before. We do take a few minutes after to install some video and music software after the install.

I really do like apt, and if I were to ever migrate to Fedora, I'd yum apt very soon their after. [Applause] [hearts]

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 14:39            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Debian on my home box, but we use a lot of Fedora Core on clusters we build at Aspen. If customers don't specify something else as an OS (like SuSE or Red Hat Enterprise), they'll probably get Fedora. It's a good, straightforward Linux distro; if I didn't like Debian so much, I'd probably use it instead.
IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 13:10      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have FC4 on my family computer, is there much difference between 4 and 5? I might have to upgrade again, but always have to re-install that nVidia driver... and fix the login screen so my family can click their images... not my favorite spring activity [Big Grin] Is it worth an upgrade?

I've never gotten into the debian craze. But I'll admit, Knoppix is a life saver at work. Always getting the Windows laptop with corrupt system files... just pop in Knoppix and back up the user's documents to a server through Samba...

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 15:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Redhat 7.0 on up and FC 1 & 2. Those versions of Fedora irritated me so bad that I decided to never use it again. I spent about 2 years trying to find a distro I liked.

I currently use Debian (unstable) for my desktop. And just installed Mepis for my laptop. I don't have the patience for Gentoo, but one of these days I may check it out just for laughs. Just not on anything that I have to get up and running in a couple of days time.

But right now, the only way you would get me to use Fedora is if I was forced to by evil bosses.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 15:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the graphical-out-of-the-box systems annoy me moderately, and nothing has ever annoyed me, or pissed me off quite like .rpm files.

I use debian on systems I don't have time to wait for compiling on, and gentoo for those I do.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 15:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Watson:
I have FC4 on my family computer, is there much difference between 4 and 5? I might have to upgrade again, but always have to re-install that nVidia driver... and fix the login screen so my family can click their images... not my favorite spring activity [Big Grin] Is it worth an upgrade?

Thank you for expressing so eloquently why I'm a big Debian fan [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 19:23      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you trying to tell me anyone uses Fedora long enough to care about an upgrade?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 01:40      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alfrin, Fedora is the testing grounds for RHEL. Each fedora gets security upgrades, and you can keep packages up to date with YUM, but there isn't an easy way to go from FC4 to FC5. What I do like about Red Hat (especially for clusters or labs) is kickstart... I suppose you could try to upgrade using kickstart, but really there isn't much reason to move untill security updates are nologer avalible.

That said, upgrade on Debian is really easy:
apt-get update
# perhaps some fiddling with /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get upgrade
# OR
apt-get dist-upgrade

Never dist-upgrade on Knoppix (unless you're just doing it for fun and will reboot when it breaks things). upgrade-ing will work, but remember changes are only in ram. If Knoppix is installed to the drive, dis-upgrade will probably break quite a bit because Knoppix is a combination of knoppix spesific packages, unstable, testing and stable. The resulting system isn't quite Knoppix, isn't quite Debian, and is served with a little melon at the end.

--------------------
My Site

Zoaky
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1840

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 07:09      Profile for Zoaky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wot!

No mention of CentOS!
Check it out here

JerryTaylor

Posts: 11 | From: I.o.M | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 08:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zoaky:
Wot!

No mention of CentOS!
Check it out here

JerryTaylor

Up until a few weeks ago, when I really gave their site a careful look, I had no idea that CentOS was RHEL. I certainly knew that Fedora was the community version of the desktop copy of RH, but I just thought CentOS was some new up and coming distro in the server world. Sorry, but when no one talks about it, this stuff happens.

I'm a Debian user. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 14:32      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, speaking of CentOS... Anyone see that peice at /. a while back about the City Manager of a small town who was harssing CentOS for installing their MalWare on his computer... Turned out, the city website was hosted on a CentOS machine and the host upgraded, but forgot to restore the web directory, so the default "Welcome to CentOS" page was showing.

That was funny,

--------------------
My Site

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 16:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Oh, speaking of CentOS... Anyone see that peice at /. a while back about the City Manager of a small town who was harssing CentOS for installing their MalWare on his computer... Turned out, the city website was hosted on a CentOS machine and the host upgraded, but forgot to restore the web directory, so the default "Welcome to CentOS" page was showing.

That was funny,

Yes...that was hysterical. It would be nothing if he just shrugged it off...but he became irate @ the CentOS folks...and said they were hacking his machine. Twice!

Moron.

The page reads roughly the same as the Apache default web page. For instance, on a Debian install of Apache, this says:
quote:
This is a placeholder page installed by the Debian release of the Apache Web server package, because no home page was installed on this host. You may want to replace this as soon as possible with your own web pages, of course....

This computer has installed the Debian GNU/Linux operating system but has nothing to do with the Debian GNU/Linux project. If you want to report something about this host's behavour or domain, please contact the ISPs involved directly, not the Debian Project.

See the Network Abuse Clearinghouse for how to do this.

Contacting the software vendor instead of the ISP/web host shows very poor reading skills. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 04, 2006 04:15      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't tried Fedora Core 5 yet, but I really liked 4. Very clean.

I have been messing around with PCLINUXOS, which is very fast on older machines (600 mhz PIII) and has most of the multimedia stuff BUILT IN!! Right now I am running Ubuntu Dapper Drake on the same machine, and its speedy and clean, but because it's still in development, there are some problems with printing, etc.

I have to say I like Ubuntu the best. But only by a hair.

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 12:36            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zoaky:
Wot!

No mention of CentOS!
Check it out here

JerryTaylor

We have at least one customer who's running CentOS on their cluster. It's basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux with the Red Hat trademarks "filed off." Good choice for people who want something that'll run programs designed for RHEL but don't want to shell out the extra $$$ for RHEL licenses.
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture