homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » V For Vendetta

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: V For Vendetta
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 14:20      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What'd everybody think?

I loved it; I've seen it twice now and both times it's left me emotional (!!!) and has got the gears in my head turning. The movie doesn't talk down to the audience; if you're conscious enough to draw the parallels between the atmosphere of Britain in the movie and the current state of the US administration, it'll leave you good and shaken, but it doesn't pander to the schmucks out there who only went to see it because it's by the Wachowski Bros.

(Also, Natalie Portman with a buzzcut? Me-yow!)

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to carry my computer across the Canadian border on a bicycle. [Roll Eyes]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 14:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've yet to see it. I saw the trailer last night and thought it looked interesting, but my friends and I ended up seeing "16 Blocks" instead. 'Twas a pretty good movie - what you might call "Bruce Willis politely kicking ass."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 16:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demo: get a trailer. You could fit a computer in one of those things to haul kiddies around in. You could also mail it ahead of yourself. Or carpool.

I saw it. I'll have to see it again. I was deeply impressed with Hugo Weaving's ability to convey emotion behind a grinning Guy Fawkes mask and it was nice to see Natalie Portman actually acting. The plot was eeriely current. The one thing I'm not to sure about is the ending. I'm not sure they actually solved anything, but man, that scene with the marching crowd wearing masks was powerful. I'd say more about why I feel this way but I'd spoil the movie.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 17:43      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen it yet, but am a fan of the comic. I've been hearing nothing but good things about it except from poor ol' beleaguered Alan Moore. (In an interview he said he was upset that they'd lightened V up and not made him an anarchist-- among other things.)

However, I'm still happy to go see it myself and make up my own mind-- the cast sounds solid and I'm curious to see how different it really is from the original story.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted March 20, 2006 21:58      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two words: cheesiness abounds - think The Mask of Zorro and 1984 held together with a few tons of high-quality Limburger. Luckily, the primary cause of said cheesiness eventually gets more holes than a good chunk of Swiss. If you haven't seen the movie yet, I strongly suggest you don't read the previous sentence [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 21, 2006 00:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what sucks about hollywood foreign release schedules. i want to see the movie, but it won't come out here for anouther six months. I am sure that I could get it on bit-torrent but that is stealing and just not the same as seeing a movie like this in a theatre. In the end I'll probebly see it first by having a friend buy the DVD for me in the US and mail it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 00:53      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the alliterations. Great Movie. Lefty and Righty give two thumbs up.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 06:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of it, but if it's A) by the wachowski brothers, B) stars hugo weaving, and C) stars Natalie Pr0tman, I must see it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 07:14      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must see that one.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 15:02      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Luckily, the primary cause of said cheesiness eventually gets more holes than a good chunk of Swiss.

That would be Emmenthal to you [Wink]

I have some of the original comics somewhere and I mean the 1982 (IIRC) ones that got published in a monthly UK sci-fi comic, now they were good.
Not arrived here yet, heard very mixed reviews, but I will go and see it, eventually.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
roofus
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2006 23:55      Profile for roofus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. It was a GREAT film. I'll see it again in theaters before the dvd release.
comicbookguy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5019

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 23:04      Profile for comicbookguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
This is what sucks about hollywood foreign release schedules. i want to see the movie, but it won't come out here for anouther six months. I am sure that I could get it on bit-torrent but that is stealing and just not the same as seeing a movie like this in a theatre. In the end I'll probebly see it first by having a friend buy the DVD for me in the US and mail it.

That's a thing I hate so much. "Capote" is in the cinema right now. "Good Night, And Good Luck" will start in a month. It's pretty tough to hear about all those cool movies, watching their trailers and having to wait for eternity until they make the way over the atlantic.
Posts: 2 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 13:16      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One word: kickass!

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 02, 2006 19:58      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I finally watched this on Friday and enjoyed it. A few impressions from a fan of the comic.

The action was brilliantly done, and Hugo Weaving did a great job overall. (Name-dropping bragging irrelevant tangent: I was at a wedding with Hugo Weaving once.) Natalie Portman's accent was a bit grating and all over the place, but she acted well. The politics of the film weren't as played down as I feared, but I was a bit surprised that some of the blatant racism was excluded, focusing on religion and homosexuality instead. I guess those two aspects are hotter topics at the moment.

The emotional core of the story-- that of Evey's transformation and the telling of Valerie's life-- was preserved perfectly. That made the whole movie worth watching, even if everything else had been so-so. However, I did miss some of my favourite moments from the comic: V's extended speech about Justice, his mistress that he loved who whored herself out to others; Finch wandering around the ruins of Larkhill Resettlement Camp on LSD, trying to get into V's mind; Evey thinking to look under V's mask after he had died & changing her mind; Evey becoming V at the end.

I also wish the relationship between Evey & V hadn't been altered into a romantic one. In the original story, Evey believes that V is really her father who somehow survived and escaped detainment. The romantic elements in the film version came out a bit creepy for me with that in mind; although I'm sure it wouldn't have necessarily bothered others. I just hate how everything done by Hollywood has to be framed by romantic love.

The ending, though different from the comic, was really stirring, and I liked the way the masks were removed to reveal the people that had died.

In sum, I'd definitely recommend the film and I thought it was great.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture