homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Skating With Celebrities (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Skating With Celebrities
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted January 18, 2006 20:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, after ABC had such a big hit with the first Dancing With The Stars, the longtime reality stalwarts at Fox decided they had to get in on the action. However, instead of dancing, how about...figure skating? (To be fair, the BBC did do a one-off series called Strictly Ice Dancing first.) I looked at the articles, and decided, "This I gotta see!"

The program is hosted by Scott Hamilton (4-time Olympic medalist) and Summer Sanders (2-time Olympic medalist, and a program host on Fox Sports Net), who are both well-suited to the material. Scott has a tremendous amount of energy, even if he isn't doing his trademark backflips on the ice. The judges for the competition are Sir John Nicks (member of the Skating Hall of Fame), Dorothy Hamill (1976 Olympic champion) and Mark Lund (skating analyst for CNN and founder of a skating magazine). Sir John looks like he's setting himself up as the Simon Cowell of this show...

The format is similar to DWTS, in that six celebrities are paired up with six champion skaters for a multi-week competition with eliminations. Each week, a new technical element will be added, which will be required in the week's program; this week, it's the spin (minimum three revolutions required). Each week will also have its own musical theme; this week, it's "Music from the Movies." The judges will give separate scores for technical and artistic merit, each on a 1-10 scale, and all weighted equally in the final score for the program. There appears to be no viewer vote involved, which may help it escape the criticism of the first season of DWTS. The first two weeks' scores will be combined to decide the first elimination.

So, here are the pairs that are competing:

1. Deborah Gibson (80's pop star and Broadway actress) with Kurt Browning (world champion). They turned in a simple but neat and clean program, with a 3-1/2-revolution spin for Deborah and a lift. (Of course, Kurt's not used to pairs competition.) Dorothy was "enchanted" by the program; Sir John criticized it for having "too much fluff." (Scores: T=23.8, A=24.2, Total=48.0/60)

2. Bruce Jenner (Olympic gold medalist, decathlon) with Tai Babilonia (world champion pairs skater). Bruce's extensive history of knee injury and surgery could've been a problem here, but they carried off a nice, slow program, where Bruce completed a 5-revolution spin (a partial combo) and even managed a small lift. Sir John praised their on-ice relationship but called their artistry "nonexistent." Dorothy and Mark both begged to differ; Dorothy noted that a slow program is more revealing of flaws, of which there were relatively few, while Mark gave them added recognition for the two synchronized waltz jumps. (Scores: T=24.3, A=24.5, Total=48.8/60)

3. Kristy Swanson (actress, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) with Lloyd Eisler (Canadian pairs champion and Olympic medalist). The two of them are opposite in handedness, which means they tend to skate in opposite directions, which can be a problem. They pulled it off, though, synchronizing their spins in mirror image (Kristy got 7 revolutions) and doing some impressive lifts. Their program might have been a bit slow, though, as it sounded like the music faded out before they finished. All three judges agreed it needd more energy and excitement. (Scores: T=23.8, A=23.7, Total=47.5/60)

4. Todd Bridges (actor, Diff'rent Strokes) with Jenni Meno (3-time national champion). Todd's not a skater, and Jenni's not a dancer, so they both had something to learn. They had flashy footwork and hip-hop moves (choreographed to Will Smith's "Wild Wild West"); Todd got 4 revolutions out of his spin, managed some good lift moves, and even a small throw! Sir John, once again, was the spoilsport, advising Todd to "go to Plan B." Todd retorted with the famous remark of his costar: "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout?" (Scores: T=23.3, A=24.4, Total=47.7/60)

5. Jillian Barberie (broadcaster, NFL on Fox) with John Zimmerman (three-time U.S. pairs champion). Jillian looked like she was coming out as a very athletic skater, like Tonya Harding. In their program, their energy showed, they had good unison, impressive lifts, and Jillian did a 5-revolution combination-type spin. Mark asked, "When are you going to show up at the U.S. National Championships?" Dorothy proclaimed the routine "hot!" Even Sir John couldn't find much wrong with it. (Scores: T=25.8, A=26.0, Total=51.8/60)

6. Dave Coulier (comedian, actor on Full House) with Nancy Kerrigan (2-time Olympic medalist, target of kneecapping by thug employed by Tonya Harding). Dave's a hockey player, and had some problem with the toe picks on his figure skates (which, of course, hockey skates don't have), so he ground them off! Their routine was choreographed to the Blues Brothers' "Soul Man," and they were trying to do Jake and Elwood's dance moves on the ice. Dave got the required three revolutions into his spin, and Nancy added a jump and a cartwheel to keep the program lively; they were definitely playing to the crowd. They got positive reactions; Sir John allowed that the hockey background definitely helped Dave. (Scores: T=24.4, A=24.9, Total=49.3/60)

Well, that was fun! I'll have to check back next Monday night to see the next set of programs, and who gets the hook!

IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 20:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know where I can download these show episodes? I've been a big fan of figure skating ever since the late 80s. And as a fan of "Full House" way back when, I'd like to see Dave skate.

Anyone else think "The Cutting Edge" re: Dave's hockey background and trouble with toe picks?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 03:25      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A similar thing has just started in the UK as well. With two old actors from Dr. Who, incidently. I watched the first episode, but mostly out of a shameful desire to see them fall over and look silly.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 12:09      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Anyone else think "The Cutting Edge" re: Dave's hockey background and trouble with toe picks?

That is exactly what I thought!

I have used the "You want me to put my hands where?" line myself in ballet partnering classes.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 12:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erbo: Leave-the-house

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 22:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Erbo: Leave-the-house

In this weather? You gotta be kidding!

(A whole bunch of snow fell today...it took me an hour and a half to get home from work, and the roads were really slick. If it's this bad tomorrow, I'm working from home...)

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 22:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me about it. I biked in and I was greeted with "Hi Xanthine, you've got some mud on your face." So I look in the mirror and yeah...

They say a mud mask is good for your skin. I'm not sure it's good for your teeth though.

Needless to say, I scrubbed up.

The same thing happened biking from the lab to my aikido class. Sadly enough, my complexion hasn't improved. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 22:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, you have to

"rinse and repeat"!

[Wink]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 06:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. so I'm the only one who's confused by people who watch this shit?

(No offense meant, just .. baffled.)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 19:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Week 2 on Skating With Celebrities, and, after tonight, one fewer competitor will be taking the ice! Since only 4 points separate the top skater from the bottom, and only half a point separates the bottom three, every point counts. This week's required technical element is synchronized footwork (covering at least half the length of the ice)...and that's in addition to the spin element! And this week's music theme is: "The 70's." (XM 7, anyone?) So here's how it went down:

1. Kristy Swanson & Lloyd Eisler (6th after Week 1): The pair came out swinging with a rousing program set to "Boogie Fever." It definitely seemed like they had better connection this week, and they did some crowd-pleasing lifts. Dorothy Hamill noted the great connection, and Mark Lund noted the great energy; even Sir John Nicks called it a strong, powerful, and competent performance. (Scores: Technical=25.2, Artistic=25.5, Combined=50.7, 2-week total=98.2)

2. Dave Coulier & Nancy Kerrigan (2nd after Week 1): Dave still relies a lot on his hockey moves, and maybe his hockey courage, to compete, and this week, their program, set to some James Brown music, seemed off. Dave seemed stiffer; Nancy had all the fancy moves in the program, and it seemed to stop a bit abruptly at the end. Mark wasn't entertained this time, Dorothy noted their trouble with synchronization, and Sir John asked Dave, "Where is your feminine side?" Dave responded, "In my other pants." (Scores: T=23.7, A=23.7, C=47.4, 2WT=96.7)

3. Bruce Jenner & Tai Babilonia (3rd after Week 1): The musical theme matches the era when they were in their prime, and Bruce was working so hard training for this routine, he wore Tai out! They proceeded to "shake their groove thing" in an entertaining routine, with good spins and waltz jumps, but Bruce seemed a little stiff and bobbled a wee bit at the end. Sir John noted acidly that they "were not in the same shape as they were in the 70's." Mark, though, liked that they give more than the minimum each week, and Dorothy commended Bruce for his bravery. (Scores: T=24.3, A=24.7, C=49.0, 2WT=97.8)

4. Jillian Barberie & John Zimmerman (1st after Week 1): Jillian suffered a groin injury (perhaps a flareup of an old one) during practices, which cast a shadow over their performance. Despite that, they did well to the Bee Gees' "More Than A Woman," with good sync and exciting lifts. Jillian's even learned how to do a good-looking layback spin! Mark liked the footwork, but didn't feel the same connection was there; Dorothy thought they were "beautiful to watch"; Sir John, ever the spoilsport, opined that they hadn't improved since last week and noted that "other pairs are catching up." (Scores: T=25.2, A=25.2, C=50.4, 2WT=102.2)

5. Deborah Gibson & Kurt Browning (4th after Week 1): At their practice arena in Canada, Deborah buckled down and learned, vowing to be better technically and to really pile on the elements. Their routine was set to "You're The One That I Want" from Grease, which might have been an advantage, since Deborah has played Sandy in Grease on Broadway. (In fact, that recording might very well have been the Broadway cast recording, with her singing Sandy!) They had good footwork, which looked inspired by the dance steps from the original, and a lot of great energy. Despite this, Sir John called it "just OK." Mark praised the energy and the spins, but Dorothy said she'd like to see Deborah work on her footwork and foot positioning. (Scores: T=24.0, A=24.3, C=48.3, 2WT=96.3)

6. Todd Bridges & Jenni Meno (5th after Week 1): Todd wanted to take some more risks with this program, including an impressive lift that they only decided to use at performance time. The lift may have worked, but Todd didn't: he fell during the performance, and they never quite got re-synced with the music ("Jungle Boogie") after that. "I'm so sorry!" cried Dorothy. Mark said that one fall didn't completely wreck the performance, but Sir John flat-out told Todd "You can't skate!" and said, "You were an ice accident about to happen, and tonight, it happened." (Scores: T=23.7, A=24.2, C=47.9, 2WT=95.6)

And, with that, Todd and Jenni became the first pair to depart the competition. The rest will be back next week to do it all again!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 19:32            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scores are reset for Week 3, and the pairs are training hard! This week's additional required technical element is a one-legged lunge (traveling, unassisted), and the musical theme this week is "Motown"! So here goes!

1. Jillian Barberie & John Zimmerman: After last week's warning, Jillian was determined to pick it up technically; however, is she shortchanging herself artistically? Their program featured a double somersault lift, a death spiral, and a nice sit spin by Jillian, a great way to start off the night. (John actually bobbled at the end!) Mark Lund liked the spin and the footwork, but wondered if the program hung together. Sir John Nicks characterized the program as "ambitious, maybe foolishly so." Dorothy Hamill, though, noted Jillian's comfort and good balance, and considers them to be the strongest team in the competition. (Scores: Technical=25.1, Artistic=24.7, Combined=49.8)

2. Bruce Jenner & Tai Babilonia: Aside from Bruce, Tai has had only one partner in her skating career; that would be, of course, Randy Gardner (now the choreographer for Bruce & Tai, among other pairs). Bruce was determined to learn Tai & Randy's signature move, the death spiral...but would he be able to do it safely, and would Tai let him do it? Their program, to "Endless Love," incorporated more adventurous lifts (since Bruce has to do the lifting!), good synchronization and lines, and, yes, they finished off with the death spiral, not an extensive one, but well done. (Scott Hamilton noted that, if Bruce had taken up skating in '76, he would have given Scott a serious run for his gold medal in '84!) "I admire you so much!" said Dorothy, but she advised Bruce he should smile more. Mark noted that they nailed the most essential part of pairs skating, the appearance of two people skating as one. Sir John, ever the party pooper, thought Bruce was awkward and had no style; still, he liked his determination and competitive spirit. (Scores: T=24.9, A=25.2, C=50.1)

3. Dave Coulier & Nancy Kerrigan: Dave and Nancy have resolved to work hard, yet laugh more, in training...but are they serious enough? Dave must have taken Sir John's "Where is your feminine side?" comment to heart, because he and Nancy performed a cross-dressed routine! (Dave was wearing a ladies' costume and a big red wig that looked like something out of Hairspray; Nancy sported trousers and a mustache.) Their performance was good, but Dave may have caused Nancy to touch down hard on a throw, their unison was off, and it seemed not well turned out...to us, anyway. The judges had other ideas. "At last you show signs of becoming a figure skater!" crowed Sir John. Dorothy said it was fantastic skating, and a good, fun performance. Mark enquired, jokingly, "Are you looking for work in Provincetown?" (Scores: T=24.4, A=25.3, C=49.7)

4. Kristy Swanson & Lloyd Eisler: The pair was determined to take their performance to the next level, engaging in exhausting practice sessions. Kristy even scraped her chin on the ice at one point. Their program featured some spectacular lifts and good moves, but Kristy caught her toe pick on the ice and fell at one point...and having Lloyd smack her into the ice at the start of their death spiral didn't help. Sir John said, "There were too many lifts!" and called the program unbalanced. Mark said she recovered well from the fall, and their sync was very good. Dorothy remarked that she started out nervous, but seemed to settle down and do better after the fall. She also asked, "Are you OK?" (Scores: T=24.4, A=24.7, C=49.1)

5. Deborah Gibson & Kurt Browning: The pressure is on, especially for Kurt, who is at a disadvantage in pairs competitions...he's smaller than most male pairs skaters, and can't do the lifts as well. Deborah also had a problem with the lunge in an earlier program. Their program featured some good lifts, including one where Deborah started out in a pseudo-Bielmann position, good unison, and overall balance. (Deborah did the lunge OK, though it wasn't a deep one.) Sir John said they were much improved, but, "Kurt, I'm not sure pairs skating is for you." Mark liked the opening lift, but felt it wasn't an exciting program. Dorothy said this was her favorite piece of the three they'd done, and commended Deborah on nailing the lunge. (Scores: T=23.9, A=24.0, C=47.9)

So, with the low score of the week, Deborah and Kurt are the second couple to exit the competition. The rest will be skating on next week, as the difficulty climbs and we get closer to the championship!

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 20:19      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dog Gone It!

FOX has optioned out my "With the Stars" concept twice now, but the target host is apparently "booked" for another 20 years or so.

As for celebs, Pauly Shore, Britteny Spears, Madonna, Paris Hilton, and "The Croc Hunter" are still candidates for my totally "rad" concept.

"Euthanasia with the Stars."

Like I mentioned earlier Dr. Kevorkian is booked. And worse the righty-to-lifers are having a hard time with the concept.

Nuts! Public Service programming is dead, I tell you.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 21:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
.. so I'm the only one who's confused by people who watch this shit?

(No offense meant, just .. baffled.)

I'm confused that is was even put together.

Kerrigan and Browning are not even pairs skaters. WTF are they doing out there? Trying to make some money?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 15:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Kerrigan and Browning are not even pairs skaters. WTF are they doing out there? Trying to make some money?

My guess is they needed some skaters with higher name recognition, and the solo skaters do tend to get remembered more than the pairs. (Tai Babilonia is an exception, but her heyday with Randy Gardner was way back in the 70's, which makes her recognizable only to older people.) Or maybe they couldn't find enough pairs skaters, so Scott Hamilton had to call in some favors. [Big Grin]

The fact that Kurt's not a pairs skater may be part of the reason behind his and Deborah's early exit. If that's the case, I don't know how much longer Dave & Nancy can hold out.

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 17:25      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all you skating fans reading this thread, here is an AWESOME site for watching old/new figure skating videos.

http://fsvids.9.forumer.com/index.php?s=56d3feee6a2c0e5e94ca5403e9c7db78&act=idx

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 19:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four couples are left on Skating With Celebrities, and the pressure is building! Our added technical element this week is side-by-side jumps, and our musical theme this week is "Top 40," so it's time to skate!

1. Kristy Swanson & Lloyd Eisler - They're looking for a way to please the judges, which Kristy sums up as, "Do big stuff." Their routine started featuring a combined spin, with Kristy in a semi-donut-on-a-stick position, a BIG lift and spin, and traveling lunges toward each other. They did a nice death spiral, and a couple more lifts at the end, the last one of which looked like Lloyd bobbled it a bit. The routine was pretty sweet, overall. Dorothy Hamill said they'd "brought it to a new level" and praised their hotness. Sir John "Mr. 'However...'" Nicks said, "Pretty good, pretty good," praising the fact that Lloyd is an aggressive skater, but was able to let Kristy do her skating. Mark Lund admired their confidence, and the combination at the end. (Scores: Technical=27.7, Artistic=28.2, Combined=55.9 - highest score so far on the show!)

2. Jillian Barberie & John Zimmerman - Their objective this week was to get back on top. However, injuries have been a big issue...Jillian thought she cracked a rib at one point, which would have been disastrous, but X-rays showed the bone was intact. Jillian started out skating criss-cross over John's prone figure, and their unison was definitely better, though not perfect. Their combination of a side-by-side split jump to a flip was very impressive! (That flip jump is a jump that competitive figure skaters use in competition, though they usually do triple flips.) They did a big overhead lift to finish the program, but Pamela commented, "They don't seem to 'stick' the ending; none of the pairs do." Mark liked that jump sequence, and said, "You are so hot together!" Dorothy gushed: "I've seen pros that don't do this well!" (Insert owl here: "O RLY?") Sir John thought it was well done, but thought the sequence of five throw jumps near the end was "unnecessary repetition." Jillian and John both protested, "But it matched the music!" (Scores: T=27.6, A=28.3, C=55.9 - tie score!)

3. Dave Coulier & Nancy Kerrigan - The two are still trying to have fun, but they need to take risks...and Dave is somewhat risk-averse, because he's had a lot of serious injuries. Their program seemed to start slow; they threw in a nice throw off which Nancy did a salchow, a couple of throw jumps, and a death spiral, but it left me feeling distinctly underwhelmed, and left Pamela wondering if they'd met all the technical requirements. Sir John was equally underwhelmed, and said, "You'll have to do better next time...if there is a next time." Mark noted they'd improved, but he wanted to see more. As for Dorothy...all she could say was that they had two tough acts to follow. This does not look good for the Homestar Runner. (Scores: T=26.4, A=26.3. C=52.7)

4. Bruce Jenner & Tai Babilonia - Since we had the time (can you say "PAD THE SHOW"?), Scott favored them with a pre-skate interview, in which Bruce declared, "Figure skating is not for sissies!" and Tai made special note of how hard Bruce trains. At 55, Bruce is the oldest competitor, and also had the least experience--and bad knees to boot. Despite that, he's shown a great deal of improvement--and then...OW! He fell on his head during training, and was rushed to the hospital for 16 stitches! "Skating is dangerous!" he noted. Their routine was a classically-styled program, starting off with a nice lunge, a couple of good jumps, and a nice spin by Bruce (and a nice recovery!) They did throw-jumps of each other, but, near the end of the program, they skated too close to the edge of the ice, and Tai actually had to dance across the platform at the back of the ice that Scott and Summer make their entrance on at the start of the show! "The ice is just too small for you guys!" quipped Scott. Mark just noted, "It worked!" Dorothy got chills and goosebumps watching the program, and mentioned how they really made it look beautiful. Sir John had one small issue: Bruce's knees looked very stiff. Well, I think he's got good reason for that! (Scores: T=27.2, A=27.5, C=54.7)

And, with that, Dave & Nancy must depart the competition. Next week comes the semifinals, and a new twist--the judges will now pick the music for each couple! (I think they may be doing double programs, too...with only three competitors, they'd now have time to do two programs each.) Time to see who's got it, and who doesn't!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 19:41            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know there's real skating news to be had, now that the XXth Winter Olympic Games are underway in Torino, Italy. The big news, of course, is that U.S. figure skater Michelle Kwan fell while executing a triple flip in practice, suffering a groin injury, and dropped out of the competition, to be replaced on the U.S. team by Emily Hughes, younger sister of 2002 gold medalist Sarah Hughes.

But we've still got celebrity skating back in Los Angeles...and it's the Skating With Celebrities semifinals this week! There's a dramatic twist...each pair will perform a program as before, and the highest scorer gets straight into the finals. The other two will have to compete in a "skate-off," where one pair skates to the first half of a song, and the other to the second half. The judges will, based on those two pairs' earlier performances and their performance in the skate-off, decide which one goes on to the finals, and which one goes home. This week's technical element is one-foot edge glides (with a change in direction), and the music is "judges' choice," so let's get it on!

1. Jillian Barberie & John Zimmerman - This week, they've doubled their practice time to gear up for the finals. It's tough, because they have to work around Jillian's gigs as a morning show host in Los Angeles and a host on NFL Radio. The injuries and the pace are also taking their toll. Their music was "Semi-Charmed Life," and they pulled out a lot of the same tricks we saw last week...the overhead lift, the synchronized split jumps leading to flips, camel spins, throw jumps, and a death-spiral-like move to finish. It was a clean, yet aggressive program. Mark Lund, though, said, "I was only 'semi-charmed,' not fully charmed," and pointed out that their moves were all the same as last week. Dorothy Hamill had nothing bad to say about their ambitious program. Sir John Nicks, though calling the program a "choreographic gem," and noting their lack of mistakes, also noted that they hadn't thrown in tricks like one-handed lifts or throw-axel jumps. Sounded like he was just harshing their gig for no reason! (Scores: Technical=27.6, Artistic=27.8, Combined=55.4)

2. Bruce Jenner & Tai Babilonia - The sentimental favorites, they were "skating their butts off" in practice, noting that the judges had picked more uptempo music for them (so obviously, they wanted to see Bruce rise to the challenge with speed and power). The music was Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69," and Bruce was game, attacking the ice right along with Tai. Their side-by-side spins seemed out of sync, though, as did much of their program, and it may not have been as intense as they wanted. Sir John noded that Bruce seemed more secure, and that they interpreted the music well. Mark praised the improved speed and tempo, but thought there was a lack of choreography, and that they should have used their "signature move." Dorothy said, "You guys do middle-aged America proud!" (Scores: T=27.1, A=27.3, C=54.4 - new personal best for the pair!)

3. Kristy Swanson & Lloyd Eisler - Their skating has had lots of ups and downs, but it's only served to strengthen their relationship, and compatibility is very important in pairs skating. Their program, set to "I'll Be," highlighted this connection well, as Lloyd started out carrying Kristy in his arms like a baby, then set her down on one foot. Their glides featured nice edge changes, and pair spins, throw jumps, and synchronized jumps enhanced the feeling. Dorothy pronounced their connection "hot and sexy," and called the routine "seamless." Mark added, "You are an example of why this is such a great sport!" Sir John noted the excellent height Kristy got on her spirals, and said, "It's a pity Lloyd couldn't get that high!" (Scores: T=28.8, A=29.2, C=58.0 - a new record!)

Which puts Kristy & Lloyd into the finals, and the other couples go to...

The Skate-Off - Jillian & John vowed to "play our game" in the skate-off, while Bruce & Tai promised a couple of additional tricks. The music for the skate-off: "Walking On The Sun." Jillian & John took the first half, did a couple of overhead lifts, and exhibited better connection than in their earlier program. Then Bruce & Tai came on, did their death spiral, and got good height on their throw jumps. The pairs finished up together, and Jillian & John added a pair camel spin right at the end. Mark liked Jillian & John's opening footwork, and Bruce & Tai's "signature move," the death spiral. Sir John thought Jillian & John were the best skaters in the competition, liked Bruce & Tai's death spiral and flipovers, and did note that they were the sentimental favorites (but cautioned that his judgement wasn't based on sentiment). Dorothy said both pairs gave the best performances she'd seen, thought Jillian & John looked hot together, and that Bruce & Tai were classic, elegant, and timeless, "like fine wine."

So, one of these two pairs is going on to the finals...and that pair is Jillian & John! That means, sadly, Bruce & Tai are eliminated. But at least they got a little recap of their "skating career" together at the end. Scott referred to them as "America's sweethearts," and the crowd chanted "BRUCE! BRUCE! BRUCE!" as the program wrapped up.

And now...two weeks from tonight is the grand finale, where either Kristy & Lloyd or Jillian & John will be crowned the first Skating With Celebrities champions. You won't wanna miss it!

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 21:23      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted February 13, 2006 22:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tell you to shut up, Vic, but you'd think I was just being kinky.

[Frown]

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 4 posted February 13, 2006 22:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see the BS I have to put up with? I spend all that time taking notes and compiling that report, and this is the thanks I get?

(Vic, nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read this topic...)

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd almost ask you to summarize the Olympic figure skating competitions, but I can't imagine how labor-intense that would be. Sometimes I really hate working second shift and having to miss some of those shows. I'd tape 'em, but I don't have a VCR right now. [ohwell]

--------------------

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:36      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get all the idiocity i need from my weekly digest of low-budget tv.
THE SOUP

They had great coverage of Jenner's skull crackin'!

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I'd almost ask you to summarize the Olympic figure skating competitions, but I can't imagine how labor-intense that would be. Sometimes I really hate working second shift and having to miss some of those shows. I'd tape 'em, but I don't have a VCR right now. [ohwell]

I haven't been watching all of the Olympic figure-skating competitions thusfar...but I did see that Chinese pair this evening that tried a throw-quad salchow, and the lady made a really rough landing...I thought she had bunged up her knee or something. Thankfully, she was able to continue the program after the trainer gave her the OK, they skated the rest cleanly (including a throw-triple toe loop), and walked away with the silver medal. (The Russians took gold, and I think another Chinese pair took bronze.)

Incidentally, with the holes in the center of the medals, some people have said the silver medal looks like a giant washer...or an AOL CD. [Eek!] [evil]

EDIT: The pair that wiped out and took silver was Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao (CHN). Gold: Tatyana Totmiyanina & Maxim Marinin (RUS). Bronze: Shen & Zhao (CHN). Inoue & Baldwin (USA) finished 7th.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 01:28      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My local NBC affiliate is replaying the Olympics. I really liked Inoue and Baldwin's costumes. The garnet velvet was really pretty.

EDIT: WOW!!!! I just saw that fall! Incredibly painful. But the way she just pushed through it and finished.... totally amazing. [Eek!] [Applause]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 04:30      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vic-ENOUGH already.

Please?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture