homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Dancing With The Stars - Season 2 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dancing With The Stars - Season 2
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted January 05, 2006 20:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put on your dancin' shoes, everyone...IT'S BACK!

ABC has brought back its surprise summer hit, Dancing With The Stars, for another round. This time, the issues with voting have been straightened out (competition on Thursday nights with a results show on Friday nights, kind of like American Idol), the field's more crowded (10 couples rather than 6), and everyone's geared up to have some FUN! Can any of the couples measure up to the level of Kelly Monaco and Alec Mazo ("winners" of the original) or John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgenson (champs of the Dance-Off)? We shall see!

For tonight's performances, the male celebrities did the cha-cha-cha with their instructors, while the ladies waltzed with their pro partners. The dancers were:

1. George Hamilton (nicely tanned actor) with Edyta Sliwinska (previous partner of Evander Holyfield). George was suffering from a recent injury (he fell off a yacht and broke some ribs), so he wasn't as animated as he might have been. Still, their cha-cha-cha was nice, though judge Bruno Tonioli ripped on it. (Score: 18/30)

2. Lisa Rinna (talk show host) with Louis Van Amstel (previous partner of Trista Sutter). Lisa is very flexible, which helped her performance. Bruno, though, didn't like it, and got into a shout-down with head judge Len Goodman, and judge Carrie-Ann Inaba had to interrupt them. (Score: 19/30)

3. Kenny Mayne (ESPN sportscaster) with Andrea Hale. Kenny was game, though his performance wasn't exactly a hotbed of Latin moves. Bruno must have decided to take a cue from Simon Cowell, 'cos he ripped on him, too. (Score: 13/30)

4. Stacy Keibler (WWE wrestler) with Tony Dovolani. Stacy is very tall, with long legs, which helped her get great extension and good lines, and you'd never guess she was a pro wrestler by her performance. Quite nice. She did get raves from Bruno, who must have taken his meds after the last couple. (Score: 22/30)

5. Drew Lachey (singer, 98 Degrees) with Cheryl Burke. Drew got the cha-cha-cha, with crisp moves and good hip action. Len called it "the dance of the night." (Score: 24/30)

6. Tia Carrere (actress, Wayne's World) with Maksim Chmertovsky. Tia had just had a baby a month and a half ago, which made her performance both amazingly good and a good way to lose that pregnancy weight! (She said so herself!) Nice performance, especially her quadruple turn, and she definitely enjoyed herself. (Score: 20/30)

7. P. Miller aka "Master P" (rapper and rap music mogul) with Ashly DelGrosso (previous partner of Joey McIntyre). This was actually a late change; the celebrity here was supposed to be rap artist Romeo (who is, incidentally, P's son), but he hurt himself playing basketball halfway through the practice sessions and had to drop out. P. stepped in, saying he was "doin' it for the folks in New Orleans and Baton Rouge." Unfortunately, with only a week to practice, his "gangsta cha-cha-cha" performance (again, I'm quoting him here) came off rather stiff and wooden, through Carrie-Ann did comment that he "framed [Ashly] nicely." (Bruno noted that P. wasn't even wearing proper ballroom dance shoes!) I kind of felt sorry for Ashly, but P. deserves some props for stepping in on such short notice. (Score: 12/30)

8. Giselle Fernandez (TV journalist) with Jonathan Roberts (previous partner of Rachel Hunter). Giselle's father was actually a professional dancer, and she worked hard to live up to those standards--and it showed. Carrie-Ann did call her performance "a bit forced," but Bruno argued that a better word for it was "passionate." (Score: 23/30)

9. Jerry Rice (American football legend, briefly a member of the Denver Broncos) with Anna Trebunskaya. Jerry was the surprise of the evening for me; he really got into the dance, and he had that hip action goin' on. I'd like to see what else he's capable of. (Score: 21/30)

10. Tatum O'Neal (actress, Oscar winner) with Nick Kosovich (who did an exhibition performance with Charlotte on a previous DWTS show; he's really good). Very elegant performance, nice clean lines. It kind of fell a bit flat with me, but the judges liked it. (Score: 23/30)

Of course, just as before, viewer votes make up for half the final score...so we'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to see who the first couple to go home will be!

(It's good to see this show back, I think. Can you tell? [Big Grin] )

IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 20:56      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for giving us a play-by-play, Erbo. Since I don't get to watch Prime-Time TV, I enjoy reading your summary of this show. (I love ballroom dance!) [thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 21:04            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Thanks for giving us a play-by-play, Erbo. Since I don't get to watch Prime-Time TV, I enjoy reading your summary of this show. (I love ballroom dance!) [thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup]

I was actually watching this show in the bedroom and taping it for Pamela, who was watching the hockey game in the computer room while in an online chat with other Avs fans. (The Avs beat Minnesota, 4-2.) I was also taking notes, noting the dancers' names, the music they danced to, their voting phone numbers, and their scores. Just trying to bring fellow dance-fan geeks the straight dope! [Wink]

There weren't any real clunkers in the music choices in this round. George got "Oye Como Va" for his cha-cha-cha, a good choice, and Drew got "She Bangs," almost as good for a Latin dance.

EDIT: Don't forget these "blasts from the past": my commentary on the original season and the dramatic Dance-Off.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 18:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's time for the first results show! The people have spoken...but, since there's half an hour to kill in this show, first, we get a recap of last week's action. The judge's votes place Drew Lachey and Cheryl Burke in first place (Bruno Tonioli's comment: "You kicked ass!"), and P. Miller and Ashly DelGrosso at the bottom (it was actually Len Goodman who made that comment about P.'s shoes, not Bruno...sorry), led only slightly by Kenny Mayne and Andrea Hale (Bruno called his dancing "demented").

Then, the ten pros paired off into five couples and gave us a sneak preview of the dances that will be featured next week: the sultry rumba and the flashy quickstep. We also got a command performance of the foxtrot by Nick and Lena Kosovich, world champion dancers, to the music of Burt Bacharach.

Then it was elimination time. First, they announced the 8 couples that received the highest combined vote totals...and P. and Ashly were among that group! (Given P.'s popularity in the rap world, I wouldn't be surprised if every homeboy from Harlem to South-Central grabbed a phone and voted for him with all 10 votes permitted each phone line!) The couples with the two lowest vote totals were Tia Carrere and Maksim Chmertovskiy, and Kenny and Andrea...and I think it surprised no one, particularly not Kenny, when he and Andrea were knocked out. Back to SportsCenter for you, Kenny!

So much for the first elimination...now it's time for the 9 remaining couples to go back to the studios and start their practice for next week's show! I really hope P. decides to buckle down and work with Ashly...I think he can do it, but he's got to try.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted January 12, 2006 20:11            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ballroom dance is back on the air again, as we roll into Week 2 of Dancing With The Stars! With 9 couples left, the gents are going at the quickstep this week, while the ladies are rumba'ing. So let's get to tonight's action!

1. Lisa Rinna & Louis Van Amstel: Lisa says "The rumba has to look like you're having sex on the dance floor." (Only if you're Kelly Monaco, Lisa.) To that end, she actually did some practice with a stripper pole. Judge Bruno Tonioli, of course, had the most colorful comment: "You were like a wild kitten!" She had some issues with control. (Score: 20/30)

2. Drew Lachey & Cheryl Burke: After last week's command performance, Drew acknowledges that the pressure is on. He came through with a good-looking quickstep that Head Judge Len Goodman called "fun and fast," and Bruno called "supersonic, like a fighter jet." I expect to see him in the finals or close to them. (Score: 27/30)

3. Tia Carrere & Maksim Chmertovskiy: Tia vowed to do better, after being nearly knocked out last week. To help with the hip movements required for the rumba, she brought in a hula dancer. Her reviews were mixed; Len pointed out that forward walks on the heel were not part of the rumba, but admired her swivels, and Judge Carrie-Ann Inaba called her a "sexy goddess" but said she needed to sharpen her edges. (Score: 22/30)

4. George Hamilton & Edyta Sliwinska: George's age and arthritic issues are still an issue, but, with the help of "Team George," he was game. He and Edyta put on a show that seemed like a throwback to, not just old Hollywood, but the days of vaudeville. Len did say he wished there were a little more quickstep in the routine (oops!), but he liked it. So did Bruno, who called him "a master of illusion." This was, I think, my favorite dance of the night. (Score: 22/30)

5. Tatum O'Neal & Nick Kosovich: Tatum says, "I'm back!", and planned to show off passion and intensity; Nick said that, if she were to compete in regular pro-am competitions, she could be a champion. Unfortunately, her dance fell flat with the judges; Carrie-Ann noted that her legs weren't in sync, and Bruno said she needed to show a performance all through the body. (Score: 17/30)

6. Jerry Rice & Anna Trebunskaya: Jerry knows he can do it now, and anyone who's seen him run knows he's fast on his feet. He and Anna even paid a visit to the 49ers training facility, where he put her through some of his drills. He danced a great quickstep that, when he finished, had me calling, "TOUCHDOWN!" Bruno agreed. Len and Carrie-Ann pointed out that he lost hold a couple of times, but they still liked it. (Score: 23/30)

7. Stacy Keibler & Tony Dovolani: Last week, Len called her dance "all sizzle, no sausage." Stacy vowed to make him eat those words. Her lines, her leg extensions, and her moves were incredible! Bruno called it "the dance of the night," and, yes, Len was eating his words, saying it had everything and was fantastic. (Score: 29/30)

8. P. Miller & Ashly DelGrosso: This is the one I most wanted to see; after Master P squeaked through last week (probably on the basis of a big show of viewer support), I wanted to see him try harder this time around. And--mirabile dictu!--he did! Not completely; he still wasn't wearing ballroom shoes, despite the fact that Ashly gifted him with a pair! (And those things are expensive!) But he worked at it, and it showed; all three judges praised his improvement. In Bruno's words, "The ice is starting to melt," even though his quickstep was kind of heavy-footed. Keep it up, P., keep it up! (Score: 16/30)

9. Giselle Fernandez & Jonathan Roberts: Giselle, responding to the comments last week that she was "forcing it," noted that her father had said, "If they see you working, you're not doing it well." She did her best to let her inner Latina lover, "Rosarita," out this week, and you just know that's going to appeal to Bruno. Len still thought she was "a little hard," but Carrie-Ann declared enthusiastically, "You are a contender for the title!" (Score: 24/30)

Tomorrow night, one of these couples goes home. Who's it gonna be?

(One other comment: The music they used for the rumba, quite frankly, sucked. Giselle got the best of a bad lot with "Take My Breath Away," but musical choices like Elton John's "Your Song," Samantha Sang's "Emotion," and George Michael's "Careless Whispers" had me going, "Huh?" Their quickstep music choices were somewhat better; George got a good choice with "Top Hat, White Tie, and Tails," and Jerry almost as good with "If They Could See Me Now," and their selection of "Zoot Suit Riot" for P. Miller was, at the very least, inspired.)

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 10:16      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

....that makes 2 of you.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 16:50      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gem you [Big Grin]

I thought it was just me... [Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 19:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The results are in! One more couple is getting the gate this week...but, before that happens, there's a lot of recapping to get through, which I'll spare you.

Next week's two dances will be the tango and the jive. The jive was originally derived from the Lindy hop, so they brought out U.S. champion swing dancers Ryan Francois and Jenny Thomas to show off a very acrobatic Lindy hop. Jesse McCartney also sang live (is it just me, or does his voice sound a lot like Andy Gibb?), accompanying a dance by Tony Dovolani (Stacy's partner, who helped her pick up the high score of the week) and his usual partner, Elena Grimenko.

Then it was elimination time. The final two couples, who scored lowest in the combined judging and viewer votes, were Tatum & Nick and P. Miller & Ashly. I had expected Tatum to get the boot, figuring that Master P would enjoy the support of his fanbase, and, sure enough, she did. Hasta la vista, Tatum!

That's all for this week, but next week's action will be here before you know it!

(Oh, and, Cap'n Vic, Serenak: Bite me. [Razz] )

axiology02
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4838

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted January 19, 2006 13:39      Profile for axiology02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a clip of it and from what I saw everybody else could dance except for Master P. He needs to put a little effort into it.
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 20:13            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(You're not wrong, axilology02. More on that soon, as I give the next report...)

With Week 3 comes a fresh challenge for our dancing stars...this time, it's the jive for the men and the tango for the women--with a couple of exceptions! So let's get to the action!

1. Jerry Rice & Anna Trebunskaya: Jerry says, "I got the crowd on my side, now I need to get the judges on my side." He even forewent watching the playoffs to concentrate on his dancing! (BTW: GO BRONCOS! [Big Grin] ) Unfortunately, this week, the judges were as harsh on his jive as they were on Evander Holyfield's "jive turkey" performance last season. Len Goodman called it "Jerry-atric" for its lack of speed, and Bruno Tonioli said he was off in the Twilight Zone. (Score: 19/30)

2. Giselle Fernandez & Jonathan Roberts: Giselle was out to prove that hard work can win everone over; she acknowledges that she doesn't have much of a fanbase, so she has to score well with the judges. Len called her performance "a proper ballroom tango." Carrie-Ann Inaba pointed out that the lift they included was, technically, not allowed in the contest, but they hadn't mentioned that before tonight. Bruno, however felt her performance was closer to Robocop than Rosarita. (Score: 22/30)

3. Drew Lachey & Cheryl Burke: Drew was looking to reclaim the top spot in the rankings, after Stacy Keibler's monster upset of him last week. Their jive was fun and energetic; Bruno gushed, "Rocket Man flies high!" and Len noted that Drew really set the standard for the gentlemen. Once again, though, Carrie-Ann had to issue a caution about a lift, though she enjoyed the performance. (Score: 27/30)

4. George Hamilton & Edyta Sliwinska: George hit the pavement this week, canvassing for votes among the denizens of Beverly Hills (or "the 'hood," as he puts it). He claims to be part Spanish, which may have been why he elected to do a tango...and, as Len pointed out, he was the only gentleman to attempt it, which took a lot of guts. (He had to learn how to lead it, for one thing!) All three judges said his holds needed to be better, but Bruno called him "a master trickster" for all the roles he played in the dance. Then, too, his tango was more of an Argentine tango, which isn't really to Len's taste. (Score: 22/30)

5. Lisa Rinna & Louis Van Amstel: Lisa really felt the pressure, as she elected to do a jive. She tried to have fun with it, though, and it showed! Bruno was calling her "Turbo Lisa," and Len said it was easily her best performance of the contest. Carrie-Ann enjoyed her performance, and also pointed out that Lisa does have a great body. (Score: 25/30)

6. Stacy Keibler & Tony Dovolani: After scoring 2 10's last week, what do you do for an encore? Ironically, Stacy's long legs worked to her disadvantage this week, as the tango required her to bend her knees. It was a technically excellent routine with some little wrestling moves thrown in at the end (she pretended to choke Tony and then throw him on the floor), but Len and Carrie-Ann noted her lack of emotion through the first 90% of the dance. Bruno, though, called it "supermodel elegance." (Score: 27/30)

7. P. Miller & Ashly DelGrosso: Don't look now, but I think Master P is starting to Get It. He's trying not only to learn these moves, but to enjoy the experience, and Ashly is noticing. They took a break to play some basketball (careful, P! That's how your son knocked himself out of the competition!), and Ashly demonstrated how some moves of the jive were similar to moves on the court. (P. still wore his trademark sequinned "P" ball cap, but, this week, Ashly had one of her own, with a sequinned "A"!) Their jive was entertaining, and left host Tom Bergeron saying, "Holy crap!" (Can he really say that on a Disney-owned channel?) The judges, however, were underwhelmed. Bruno called his performance "the ghost of rock'n'roll," and Len went so far as to say it was about time that Master P and this contest "parted ways." P's fans, however, are probably rallying as we speak, representing for the Master... (Score: 14/30)

8. Tia Carrere & Maksim Chmertovskiy: Tia has lost over 20 pounds already in this contest, easily beating John O'Hurley's record! She actually had prior experience dancing the tango; in the movie True Lies, she danced one with Arnold Schwarzenegger (yeah, the Governator). For that dance, however, she had three months to prepare; for her routine tonight, she had just three days! Well, she must have remembered her movie role, because their tango was smokin'! (As Heinlein once said, "After a tango like that, the couple ought to get married!") Bruno called her "the ultimate tropical vamp," and Carrie-Ann got goosebumps watching the dance. Len did say it was a bit too Argentinian for his taste, but called it a beautiful performance. (Score: 26/30)

This week, Drew and Stacy hold the top spots, while Jerry and Master P are down in the cellar. Will all the football fans rally to save Jerry? Will all the homeboys rally to save P.? Tomorrow night, we find out for sure!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 19:19            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tension convention time, as we head into the third elimination! To help people tune in for the live elimination, they immediately revealed two of the couples that would be returning for next week:

Stacy & Tony - No way were they going to get eliminated, not after tying for the high score!

Jerry & Anna - His performance this week left him with "fourth and long," but Jerry caught a Hail Mary pass from the viewers to keep his drive alive!

Then, to take our minds off the elimination for a bit, the remaining 8 pro dancers did an exhibition of the paso doble (which will be one of next week's dances, along with the foxtrot), which was a very hot performance to the theme from Rocky. (While I criticized their use of "Eye of the Tiger" as paso music last season, the Rocky theme actually works fairly well.) Then the Style Elements breakdancers paid a visit--wait, did you say breakdancers? Well, they put on a very acrobatic and skilled routine. (Bet Master P wishes this competition included breakdancing!)

Back to the eliminations: also saved were...

Tia & Maksim - With the score she made this week, I was fairly sure Tia would stay in.

P.Miller & Ashly - I guess the dudes, bros, homeys, rapmasters, and funklords all turned out to vote for Master P! (And I guess Len's comments may have had a backlash effect...) But, if he stays, someone that deserves the slot more than him has to go...I hope he takes that to heart, and manages to find a little Funk-Fu for next week!

(Commercial break...news flash: Fotomat burns down, no film at 11...)

Lisa & Louis - That thrilled Lisa, I'm sure, as this week was her best performance thusfar.

Drew & Cheryl - The guy's been at or near the top of the leaderboard for three weeks straight. He's in no real danger.

So, now it's down to two...George & Edyta, and Giselle & Jonathan. And the victim is...Giselle & Jonathan. To be fair, Giselle knew she didn't have as big a fanbase compared to the others, so couldn't count on a lot of votes. She was thankful to have had the experience, and discovered a talent she never knew she had.

On to next week...seven couples left, and the difficulty is ramping up!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 20:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 4 is upon us, and the competition is definitely heating up. Tonight, the seven remaining couples will be dancing either the foxtrot, the dance of elegance, or the paso doble, the dance of the bullfight! Well, you didn't come to hear me blather 'bout nothin', so let's get it on!

1. George Hamilton & Edyta Sliwinska: George is focused on mastering the paso doble this week, but Edyta doesn't want him to lose his winning personality. George has some relevant experience, of course, as the lead actor in Zorro, The Gay Blade, so that's what he worked with. It was a real crowd-pleaser, but George seemed too stiff, not getting in enough of the heavy foot-stomping you need for a paso. (Unfortunately, I got a phone call partway through, so I missed most of the judges' comments, except for, I think, Bruno Tonioli, who said something like, "The character was there, but...") (Score: 21/30)

2. Tia Carrere & Maksim Chmertovskiy: In addition to having to practice the foxtrot this week, Tia and Max took a jaunt to New York for an appearance on Live with Regis & Kelly to promote the show, and also to meet Max's students, who are really good. Their foxtrot showed nice sync, and Tia displayed a great deal of confidence. All three judges pointed out that she made a couple of mistakes early on, but still thought it was very charming and graceful. (Score: 25/30)

3. P. Miller & Ashly DelGrosso: Look, everybody, I have tried to be patient with P. I have tried to look on the bright side. I have tried to give him props for trying something so completely outside his normal sphere, it might as well be from Mars. But there comes a point where patience just completely runs out. Even Ashly is getting frustrated; Master P has put in maybe 20 hours total of practice over the course of this contest, while the other celebrities have averaged around 130 hours. In hopes that it would help inspire him, she took him to Utah to meet her family. Oh, her family loved him, to be sure, and so did the denizens of Salt Lake City. But, none of that matters on the floor...and, when it came time to "Show me your...paso doble!", the result was every bit as horrifying as I expected. P. was moving so stiffly and ponderously, he looked like that big gray robot from the homestarrunner.com site, the one that says, "COME...ON...FHQWHGADS." I bet I know what the well-known robot AWESOM-O 4000 would be saying about his performance: "WEAK! LAME! NOT COOL!" (Oh, Ashly was good...I feel sorry for that poor girl. She doesn't deserve this.) Bruno called it "a nightmare," and proclaimed there was "nothing to judge." As the audience booed, he yelled, "Shut up!" Len Goodman noted that clearly his heart wasn't in it, and that the viewers were just being cruel by keeping him on the program. (Len shoots and scores again!) Carrie-Ann Inaba did think this was his best dance yet (not that that's saying much, IMHO), but she still didn't see the matador, and, you know, no matador, no paso doble. In the green room afterwards, P. also demonstrated that his attitude stinks on ice, and shamelessly tried to plug his new album. Please, God, get this guy off the show. I can't fscking stand it anymore. (Score: 8/30...and I think the judges were being generous)

4. Stacy Keibler & Tony Dovolani: After that last performance, things can only get better. Stacy has really pushed herself to learn these dances, and, at one point, she and Tony had to take a break at a local spa, with massages, facials, and everything. (Hey, Tony: "The cucumber...it does nothing.") They put on a foxtrot that was oh, so elegant, taking maximum advantage of Stacy's long, lovely legs. I felt this performance was easily equal to the foxtrot of the legendary John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgensen. Carrie-Ann played Negative Nancy, saying she "seemed tired," but still had a positive impression. Bruno, of course, went ga-ga, saying she has the best legs he's ever seen, and "You put the 'foxy' in 'foxtrot'!" Len said, "You can't teach talent; she's a natural!" (Score: 26/30)

5. Drew Lachey & Cheryl Burke: Drew found the "matador" character a little difficult, so Cheryl brought in a real matador to give him some help with the pose and the attitude. Now, for the most part, the band's choice of paso music has been sucky, but, for Drew, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" actually worked OK. He demonstrated good flexibility and intensity, and it looked like they even threw in a couple of the "Thriller" dance steps. From Master P to Drew is like night and day; Drew would actually be competitive at the Pan Pacific Grand Prix. Len admired how he came out and gave his all every week. Bruno declared it to be the best celebrity paso performance he's ever seen in any incarnation of Dancing With The Stars/Strictly Come Dancing. (Score: 28/30)

6. Jerry Rice & Anna Trebunskaya: After last week's poor showing in front of the judges, Jerry was ready to "give Len and Bruno the finger." To help him develop his posture for the foxtrot, Anna dragged him to ballet class, which actually helped a lot. Jerry says, "The fire's still there," and he got out on the floor and proved it! His foxtrot was very suave, with good carriage and speed...I score it: "TOUCHDOWN!" Bruno said Jerry was "back on track," but still found fault with his posture--and, at that point, the judges got into a three-way squabbling match, as Len and Carrie-Ann did not share that opinion. Len admired how Jerry was able to take his criticism of last week and come back strong, going from "zero to hero." Carrie-Ann thought it was Jerry's breakthrough night. (Score: 24/30)

7. Lisa Rinna & Louis Van Amstel: Lisa is a very, very busy person. So busy that she and Louis were having to practice paso moves on the set of Soap Talk, where she's one of the hosts. Thankfully, her family is behind her 100 percent. The music here was another head-scratcher; "The Final Countdown" is more suited to hockey arenas than ballroom floors, IMHO. Still, she pulled it off nicely, with flash and sensuality. Both Carrie-Ann and Bruno thought she started slow but then attacked the dance, in Bruno's words, "like a woman possessed." Len said, "This is definitely not 'the final countdown' for you, this was equal to your performance last week!" (Score: 26/30)

So, the usual couples are at both ends of the leaderboard this week. Will America finally come to its senses and send P. Miller packing??? We'll find out tomorrow night!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted January 27, 2006 19:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now, we find out who gets eliminated in Week 4 of the second Dancing With The Stars season. But, since that's not going to take any more than 5 minutes, and ABC has scheduled a full hour, it's time to...PAD THE SHOW!

Just as a reminder: Drew & Cheryl had the dance of the night; Stacy & Tony were hot on their heels; Lisa & Louis were the biggest movers of the night; Jerry & Anna proved they're still competitors; Tia & Maksim are still solid performers; George & Edyta were entertaining, if a bit light on George dancing; and P & Ashly...well, the less said, the better.

First we get an encore performance of Drew & Cheryl's "Thriller" paso doble, which was still good. (I found myself noticing Drew's great staccato foot action.) Then the ladies got to review their performances.

And, since ABC seems to get ideas for padding these results shows, apparently, by pulling them out of their asses, we were treated to a performance by the Pussycat Dolls. (Think Britney Spears times 6. A bunch of typical pop tarts. But what the hell does it have to do with ballroom dancing?) Then, after the gents get to look at their performances, and a look at all the stars' pre-dance rituals (yeah, yeah, pad the show), we find out the first two couples that are "safe":

Drew & Cheryl (Obviously!)

Lisa & Louis (well, with that performance, I hope so!)

Now the judges get to say who were their favorites this week: Carrie-Ann liked Lisa & Louis, Len was pleased by Jerry & Anna, and Bruno raved over Drew & Cheryl. Then we got some actual ballroom dancing, as international samba dancers Rodrigo Gusman and Yesenia Adame put on a wicked-hot exhibition of "the dance of Carneval." Then it was back to the Pussycat Dolls, except this time they were trying to be slightly retro (standing in front of microphone stands and undulating in place), and they were accompanied by the dancing of Anna Trebunskaya (my favorite of the pro performers, I think) and Jonathan Roberts (back after he and Giselle Fernandez got the boot last week). Teh 4w350m3.

Next up, an interview with the 5 remaining couples, in which Master P was trying to be funny (but not really succeeding), and interviews with the judges to see what they look for in dances (Bruno looks for performance, Carrie-Ann for emotion, and Len for technique). Have we padded the show enough? We have? Then here are some more safe couples:

Stacy & Tony (well, I should hope so! They looked good!)

Jerry & Anna (it's another first down for Jerry, who has become my sentimental favorite among the stars)

George & Edyta (this must have been a close call, but George is very entertaining, which counts for a lot)

Our bottom two for this week, then, are Tia & Maksim, and P & Ashly. And the couple that gets sent packing are...

P & ASHLY!

(And Erbo goes, "YEEEEEEHAAAAAA!" and starts singing, "So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye...")

But they're not gonna let 'em go that easy...Master P and his would-be dance instructor Ashly get an interview segment, with lots of schmaltzy video clips of all the training he's done and all the bonding between them as they struggled. To be fair, P was gracious in defeat, to the judges, to Ashly, and to all the other couples. In the end, perhaps he did show himself to be a class act after all.

So, Master P is goin' back to the 'hood, and the other six couples are going back to training...'cos next week we start double dances, in the form of the samba and a group salsa! Pressure's definitely on now!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted February 02, 2006 20:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now...the real competition begins! We're down to six couples (the number we started with in the first season), and we're starting double dances! This week, each couple will do the samba, the dance of Carneval in Rio, and then all the couples will take the floor at once for a group salsa! So, with lots of Latin love in store, let's get to the action!

1. Stacy Keibler & Tony Dovolani - Tied for 1st last week, Stacy felt she needed to get the "feel" of the character the way Drew does. The couple visited a samba club, so Stacy could visualize it for herself. "Time to turn it up!" she says, and she came out swinging, shaking and gyrating like a more-restrained version of Kelly Monaco, using those long legs to best advantage. Head Judge Len Goodman noted that they never disappoint, and they did a saucy, sexy routine. Carrie-Ann Inaba gave them a standing ovation, and said, "You're getting better than some of our professional dancers!" (Insert owl here: "O RLY?") Bruno Tonioli, of course, went ga-ga, calling her a "weapon of mass seduction" and remarking how she made it look easy. (Score: 30/30 - first perfect score of the competition!)

2. George Hamilton & Edyta Sliwinska - George's dramatics are a double-edged sword: crowd-pleasers but not such a hit with the judges. George tries to take their advice as he would that of a director, to help improve his performance. He and Edyta paid a visit to the L.A. Zoo to get some images of "animal motion." To "Conga," he did a routine that was maybe not as fancy; his movements seemed slow, but precise. Bruno called him a "crafty shifter" and a "charmer." Len remarked how he always gives the impression he's dancing for the sheer joy of it. Carrie-Ann praised his improved footwork, and said it was fun to watch. (Score: 24/30)

3. Lisa Rinna & Louis Van Amstel - Last week, Lisa proved herself a rising star, placing second overall. This week, she and Louis were fighting fatigue, training for both dances. (Her husband, Harry Hamlin, called it "insanity.") They built up stamina by running on the beach; Lisa says, "Stacy and Drew are in their 20's, I'm in my 40's, so I have to work harder!" I think they got screwed by the choice of music, though: it was "Le Freak," more suited to disco than samba. She did get the moves down, though, including a nice samba roll and a couple of slick freezes at the end, and was very enthusiastic. Carrie-Ann picked this moment to play Negative Nancy, saying she didn't see a samba. (Must have been that sucktacular music, Carrie-Ann.) Bruno begged to differ, saying, "You got all the steps, don't worry about what she says!" Len agreed: "That was a samba." If Len's sold, I'm sold. (Score: 25/30)

4. Tia Carrere & Maksim Chmertovskiy - Tia almost got knocked out last week, but she's "getting used to it." Max bought in a broom to act as a training aid, helping with her posture. She says, "I want to have fun, whatever happens." She got another sucky piece of music, "Enough Is Enough," with which she started off kind of "showgirly," but heated up as the dance went on. Max was egging the crowd on as they built up to some disco moves at the end. (Well, what else are you gonna do with a Donna Summer song?) All the judges noted she was strongest in the middle of the routine but less so at the beginning and end; Len likened it to "not Brazil, but Baltimore." Bruno did call her a "Ziegfield Follies beauty queen" though. (Score: 22/30)

5. Jerry Rice & Anna Trebunskaya - Jerry is starting to get comfortable with dancing, but still needs to loosen up for the Latin stuff. Anna tried a Hula Hoop; it didn't work. She tried a whistle; it didn't work. That's when she brought in the secret weapon: Jerry's youngest daughter Jada. She helped him loosen up, all right! His performance still seemed slightly stiff, but he loosened up as it went on. (As a good-luck charm, he was wearing, on a chain around his neck, his championship ring from Super Bowl XXIII!) Bruno called him "Mr. Smooth" and said, "You've cracked the Latin world." Len found his expectations were easily beaten by Jerry, and praised his posture. Carrie-Ann, though, said Jerry still seemed too self-conscious. At this point, Anna piped up: "You like him, come on!" Not only is Anna cute, she's a straight shooter. (Score: 23/30)

6. Drew Lachey & Cheryl Burke - His "Thriller" of a paso tied him for the lead last week, but that just makes it tougher on Drew, who has been training so hard, he's had no time to see family and friends. (And his wife's expecting, too!) That changed, as he hosted a party one evening at his home. Cheryl was there, and they even gave an impromptu demo for the guests. The music choice didn't improve, with their choice of Christina Aguilera's "Dirrty." Drew was game, though, and he and Cheryl put on an energetic and hot performance, with ripaway shirt sleeves as an added gimmick. Both Carrie-Ann and Len wondered what was up with his shoulders, but noted his power and exuberance. Bruno said, "You're as reliable as Tom Cruise's box office." Hey, Bruno, War of the Worlds bombed; are you sure you want to use that metaphor? (Score: 27/30)

The Group Salsa - Choreographer Gustavo Vargas had just one day to get the six stars into a salsa routine. George, of course, provided the comic relief. Drew and Cheryl collided at one point, giving Drew a bloody nose! Tia also made Maksim go "OOF!" as she elbowed him. Anna and Max, at one point, got into one of those "this is your dance space, this is my dance space!" kind of arguments. At least the music for the actual performance was better: Gloria Estefan's "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You." George seemed sluggish again, but stylish. Tia walked over Max at one point, which got good crowd reactions. Len applauded all the couples, but made special note of Drew and Cheryl. Carrie-Ann liked them, too, and also Lisa and Louis. Bruno must have a thing for Stacy; he liked her, and got into an argument with Len over her legs.

When we tote it all up, Stacy and Tony hold the top spot, and Tia and Maksim are in the cellar. Now it's up to the viewers, for tomorrow night's elimination!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted February 03, 2006 19:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elimination time again...now that we're down to six, almost any of the couples is gonna hurt to lose. But first, we get a quick recap of what happened last night, followd by the "judges' pick" encore of the week...and, naturally, it's Stacy & Tony's "Bootylicious" performance. (Trip 10's will do that for you!) Then we get recap/interviews with Tia & Maksim, Lisa & Louis, and Jerry & Anna.

And now, it's time to...PAD THE SHOW! At least, this week, they got someone more suited to a ballroom than the Pussycat Dolls...none other than that award-winning 70's crooner with the big nose, Barry Manilow! He sang "Copacabana," apropos to the Latin theme this week...and, right before the second verse, Louis and Cheryl entered and began a sizzling dance number. (I think Barry got kind of distracted up there!) It was good, if a little cocktail-loungey. Afterwards came recap/interviews with George & Edyta and Drew & Cheryl, and a little "behind the scenes" piece revealing how the stars and their pro partners put together a new dance routine in just five days. (It ain't easy!) Then, the first "safe" couples were revealed:

Stacy & Tony (Come on! Trip 10's? They're not going home!)

Lisa & Louis (Her performance was great, even if she had to do it to some of the most sucktacular music ever...)

After the break...who were the judges' big surprises? Carrie-Ann picked Stacy & Tony, saying "you really started to have fun!" Len's choice was Lisa & Louis, for how much they'd improved. Bruno likes Jerry & Anna, for Jerry's great attitude, competitive spirit, and constant improvement. And then, we were treated to a scorching mambo by champions Emmanuel Pierre-Antoine and Joanna Zacharewicz. A break, and then another behind-the-scenes puff piece (on the relationship between the stars), then an interview spot with the four couples "on the hot seat."

I imagine Barry wanted to sing again, and so he did...he covered "Unchained Melody," as images of the dancers played on a big video screen behind the band. (Pamela, who likes that song, says Barry did a good rendition of it.) Then, two more "safe" couples got announced:

Drew & Cheryl (They're not goin' home early either)

Jerry & Anna (Jerry keeps advancing down the field!)

So, the last two are George & Edyta, and Tia & Maksim. And, the unlucky pair this week is...Tia & Maksim. (Clearly, this was tough: Carrie-Ann was in tears at the judges' desk, and the crowd gave her a standing ovation.) Tia, though, was somewhat relieved, as well as pleased that she'd lasted as long as she had. And they got one last dance...for which Barry sang 'em out with "I Can't Smile Without You." Works for me...

Next week...more double-dances, including the "Indy 500 of ballroom dance," the group Viennese waltz! Let's see if the remaining five couples can kick it up another notch!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 20:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, our five remaining couples have all gotten served, and they've all served back, which can mean only one thing: IT'S ON! The hype is kicking into overdrive as Week 6 of Dancing With The Stars gets into gear!

This week, each couple will be doing a different dance (and one they haven't done before!) before all five take the floor for a group Viennese waltz. To give an idea of what it all should look like, we got a quick exhibition from the ten original pro dancers: Louis Van Amstel and Ashly DelGrosso with a jive, Jonathan Roberts and Anna Trebunskaya with a tango, Maksim Chmertovskiy and Edyta Sliwinska with a rumba, Tony Dovolani and Cheryl Burke with a paso doble, and finishing up with Nick Kosovich and Andrea Hale with a quickstep. Can the stars measure up? Let's find out:

1. Jerry Rice & Anna Trebunskaya - This week, Jerry's obligations caught up with him, as he had to make an appearance in Detroit for Super Bowl XL. Anna came with him, and they managed to squeeze in some practice in a hotel ballroom. What's Jerry doing? Paso Doble! To help with his posture, Anna handed Jerry a quarter, and told him to keep it clenched between his butt cheeks. [Eek!] Jerry wanted to show the judges a "warrior" on the dance floor, and, boy, did he show strength! The dance was very athletic and intense, including a very dramatic leap by Jerry; he got the posture down, all right! (And the band, for once, played decent paso music!) My verdict? "TOUCHDOWN!" Head Judge Len Goodman, though he saw good basics, saw "nothing exciting." Carrie-Ann Inaba, though, said "Fantastic! Incredible! I saw great energy!" and Bruno Tonioli, thought he started out like "Moses parting the Red Sea" and showed great attitude. There have been some comments, though, that the judges' enthusiasm isn't always reflected in their scores... (Score: 23/30)

2. Drew Lachey & Cheryl Burke - Drew is fighting for some 10's from the judges, and Cheryl has helped him work on the issue with his shoulders the judges noted last week. His practice, though, threatened to interfere with Super Bowl Sunday, and his famous brother Nick came to the dance studio, along with Drew's pregnant wife Lea, to try and pry him away. Cheryl proved to be a hard taskmaster, though, as they got the moves down for their tango. (Another head-scratcher of a music choice...they got some song by the Black-Eyed Peas.) I bet Lea wishes Drew could dance with her the way he danced with Cheryl; it was a truly badass performance, very strong and showy. Bruno outlined the requirements for a good tango, then said, "You did everything!" Len said, "You commanded that dance!" and said it was Drew's best yet. Carrie-Ann could only say, "They're right! You nailed it!" (Score: 30/30 - not just one 10, but three! Perfect score!)

3. George Hamilton & Edyta Sliwinska - George is doing the rumba this week, and wanted to get the perfect line down, so he brought in a "ringer"...Alec Mazo, the professional that helped propel Kelly Monaco to the title in Season 1 of DWTS. (And horrifying thoughts of Kelly's rumba started flashing through my mind...though, of course, I doubt George has either the inclination or the physical capacity to make the rumba look like having sex on the dance floor.) The music was great here: "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps," as used in Strictly Ballroom, and George took full advantage. His moves were slow but expressive, and the dance told an entertaining story. Carrie-Ann thought the routine could have used more, you know, actual dancing (oops!), but loves his entertaining quality. Bruno described it as "like 'Dynasty: The Musical'." Len, though was disappointed; he only saw a bunch of basic moves and not enough contact, saying that Edyta was "flatulating all around him out there." ("Flatulating"?!? Who put LSD in Len's Earl Grey?) (EDIT: I'm informed by someone who had closed-captioning on that the word Len used was "flagellating." That makes more sense...but it was too easy for Tom Bergeron to pick up the play on words.) (Score: 23/30)

4. Lisa Rinna & Louis Van Amstel - Rising star (and Daytime Emmy nominee) Lisa loved being argued over by the judges last week! This week, though, she was breaking down on the practice floor. Trying to master the elegant frame and posture required for the quickstep, she visited an etiquette instructor, and it really helped! Though the music was another one of those "WTF?" moments ("Nine To Five," which seems more suited to country line dancing than the quickstep), they pulled it off, with a flashy, yet smooth and coordinated routine that ended with them running up the right-hand set of stairs at the back of the stage! Len outlined all the elements of a proper quickstep, and said, "You did exactly that!" Carrie-Ann echoed: "You can do ballroom, girl!" Bruno crowed: "The emancipation of Lisa is now complete!" (Score: 27/30)

5. Stacy Keibler & Tony Dovolani - After trip 10's last week, what do you do for an encore? Stacy liked the idea of doing the jive, a dance that has been spread around the world by American soldiers. To "beta-test" her routine, she and Tony visited Camp Pendleton and entertained a bunch of Marines. Are they planning on voting for her? Well, can I get an "OOH-RAH!"? [Big Grin] The music fit well this time ("Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"), and Stacy came out using those long, long legs to full advantage in the high kicks and flicks of the jive. It was flashy, it was speedy, and it finished up with Stacy atop the judges' desk, almost right in Len's face! Bruno outlined the requirements for a good jive, then said, "You did them all like a bombshell, and it was sexy as hell!" "Spot-on again!" said Len. Carrie-Ann said, "There's nothing to say; it was pretty much perfect!" (Score: 30/30 - perfect again, for the second week in a row, and a tie for the lead!)

The Group Viennese Waltz - As before, the stars only got one day to practice...but Jerry couldn't make it, because he was still in Detroit for the Super Bowl! Louis took charge, orchestrating the structure of the dance: all five couples would start out with the basic turns, then each couple would get a "moment in the sun" at mid-floor to show off flashy moves, and they'd finish up in unison again. Louis figured "traffic jams" would be a problem, and, indeed, it seemed like George was trying to muscle Drew off the floor...when he wasn't losing his pants, that is! The music was Alicia Keys' "Falling," and it worked well for this elegant dance. Lifts were permitted in the "solos" (as the dance wasn't scored), and most couples did one, though Lisa and Louis' "lift" looked more like a figure-skating "death spiral." (Are we getting some cross-talk from Skating With Celebrities here?) George didn't manage the lift, but countered with some hip-shaking action. The whole routine worked very well, which just illustrates how high a level the competition's gotten to. Len thought Stacy & Tony were best in the basic "spins," but Drew & Cheryl had the best "solo." Carrie-Ann likes Lisa & Louis. Bruno admires the lines and finishing moves of Stacy & Tony.

So, time to pull out the phones again, 'cos one more couple goes home tomorrow night...and the rest go on to the semifinals!

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 21:29      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 21:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tumbling Tumbleweed," Vic?

As always, thanks for the update, Erbo. I have no idea which woman Bo is shtupping now, nor do I know who's winning the battle for the West Wing, but I CAN say I know what's happening in celebrity dance and ice skating! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 08:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least there's one person who appreciates my efforts! (So, Vic, if you can't say anything nice, just don't say anything at all, OK?)

I know somebody's going home tonight, but any one of the five remaining couples is gonna hurt to lose. Obviously, neither Drew nor Stacy is going anywhere just yet...but, with two weeks left, will one of them blink or stumble at the wrong time, and leave the door open? Jerry's proven himself a competitor worthy of the challenge, and his work ethic is second to none...but does he have what it takes to get those final yards to the goal line? Lisa is a rising star who's found her groove...but will she flame out before the finals? And George is the ultimate entertainer and crowd-pleaser...but how far can he get on shtick?

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 16:35      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erbo-I, too enjoy your updates, especially on the skating. Bummed that my favorite, Jenni Meno, went home. Her hubby, Todd Sand, is hangin' on for dear life every week on the UK version.I can't for the life of me figure out why people read this thread if they have no interest or are going to make negative comments. I mean, it's not like you named the thread, "HOT, HOT FREE PORN" or something to fool them. [Roll Eyes]

Bo's shtupping someone else??? You mean Bo Bice, Rhon???

Speaking of The West Wing, I heard they're going to have Leo die in the season and series finale, since he died IRL. How sad is that going to be??? I wouldn't mind an update of that if anyone watches it-pm me?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 17:10      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 17:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:

Bo's shtupping someone else??? You mean Bo Bice, Rhon???

There's more than one Bo? Wow, I HAVE been out of pop culture for way too long! (Actually, I was referring to the Bo of soap opera fame. Isn't there a Bo on one of those daytime shows?)

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 17:37      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow-spungo's here.

**checks thread name again**

No, no-NOT named "HOT HOT FREE PORN" or "FARM ANIMALS AND THOSE WHO LOVE THEM". [Confused]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 19:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Spungo feels the need to make an editorial comment (btw Spungo: Bite me very much [Big Grin] ), it's time for the next results show! After the usual recap, the judges' pick for the week turns out to be Lisa & Louis' quickstep, which is just as entertaining the second time around! Then we get recap/interviews with the two low-scoring couples, George & Edyta and Jerry & Anna.

After this, since it's time to, once again, pad the show, we get a musical performance by new star Natasha Bedingfield of her single "Unwritten." She seems to be going for a Mariah Carey-type sound, but she's better than "The Pariah." Then we have recap/interviews with our two perfect scorers, Stacy & Tony and Drew & Cheryl...and George, ever the trickster, decides to upstage them by proposing to Stacy and giving her a ring! (I'm still not sure if he was joking or not...) A behind-the-scenes piece details the physical toll this competition is taking on the stars, especially their feet...but, on the upside, they're losing weight like crazy!

Now, we get to see the first two couples who are definitely safe:

Jerry & Anna (YES! The fans threw a long bomb and got Jerry into the red zone!)

Drew & Cheryl (With a perfect score, they better be staying!)

Who surprised the judges the most this week? For Bruno, it was Stacy; he thought her long legs would work against her in the jive, but it turned out not to be so. Len gave his congratulations to all the pro dancers for their hard work, and especially to Lisa, who was fantastic. Carrie-Ann echoed the obvious verdict of the viewers and praised Jerry's commitment, power, and passion. (Hey, Carrie-Ann! Why didn't you give him a 9 then, instead of an 8?)

Next came an exhibition of some of the students of Maksim Chmertovskiy, doing the jive to "Mambo #5." They're really good, especially one guy who must be Max's son or something; he had the same last name and similar facial features. And, after a short interview with the three couples still "on the hot seat," we got a real treat!

One of the biggest dance-related movies of all time is, of course, Dirty Dancing. And, on the DWTS stage, they reenacted the famous last scene. Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes sang "I've Had The Time Of My Life," and, this time, the band did have sheet music for it! Dancing in the parts of Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey were Tony Dovolani and Cheryl Burke, re-enacting the original choreography. (Trivia: During the filming of the original movie, when Patrick Swayze took that leap off the stage in mid-dance, he broke his ankle when he landed--and he kept going! Now that's dedication! Thankfully, Tony made a better landing.) The other pros stepped in, too, dancing the roles of the other resort staff that joined Johnny for that last dance...and Cheryl was lowered to the floor, then ran to Tony and jumped perfectly into the lift! It was a nicely done bit, and Tom Bergeron capped it off afterward with the quip: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!" Indeed.

We got another behind-the-scenes piece, this one looking at the pros and how hard they worked to train the stars. (Ashly DelGrosso got some face time, too...man, she must have had the patience of Job!) Now, finally, we get to see who else is safe for next week:

Stacy & Tony! (See my comments re: Drew & Cheryl above.)

So, our bottom two this week are Lisa & Louis, and George & Edyta. There's no room for one of them in the semifinals...and that one turns out to be George & Edyta. George got a big round of applause, as he walked over to the judges' desk, shook Bruno's and Len's hands, and gave Carrie-Ann a kiss. After the big clip recap, in which George revealed that a lady had told him, "Honey, you brought back the 1940's to me!", George was very complimentary, saying, "I've never worked with a group of people this talented." He also praised Edyta's coaching skill, and Edyta praised George's efforts. George also encouraged everyone to vote for Stacy, "his future wife." (Again: Was he joking, or not?) Then, as they got their last dance, a big group hug ensued!

So George is heading back to the 'hood...Beverly Hills, that is. Next week, the four remaining couples will be doing double performances again, as we roll into the semifinals! The cheesy disco-ball trophy is within reach...which star will grasp it?

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 19:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also enjoy these updates, so make that at least three people. Keep posting [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture