homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » T9 Text Messaging (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: T9 Text Messaging
Uberism
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 12:58      Profile for Uberism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tyler:
I just firgure this program to text quicker on my cell phone. Pretty killer www.textfast.t9.com

Man,I just learned how to use that--funny, now if I can just learn how to program my Tivo--the new vcr

--------------------
I make stuff up...sometimes

Posts: 18 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 13:51      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid,

I totally agree with you but let's not be so abrasive. It's just a thread on T9ing not on the war in Iraq.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 13:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Famous Druid,

I totally agree with you but let's not be so abrasive. It's just a thread on T9ing not on the war in Iraq.

Nono.. TFD has every right to be angry. There are people who think their phone calls are more important than the safety of those on the road.

I won't go so far to say nobody should be allowed to talk on the phone and drive.. there are some that can do it, and some that cannot.

As such, if they pass a law here disallowing me from it, I will comply, but I know I can drive just as safely while talking on my cell phone as I can without.

But TFD has every right to be pissed -- if him and the people he cares most about and is responsible for protecting (TFD'lings) were nearly killed by someone doing what they were incapable, then he should be pissed off -- I would be.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 14:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's time someone pointed out that if you are driving, you are already muti-tasking enough, so put your phone down and concentrate on the road.

People say fast cars kill people, or 4x4s kill people, or motorbikes kill people... but do you know what is the usual cause of road deaths? The arrogant attitude of those drivers who think they are so much better at driving than everybody else that they can behave exactly how they like.

And TFD.... I think you expressed yourself quite mildly, under the circumstances.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 15:01      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand all the anger just don't dig flaming wars over texting in the car. I realize exactly how dangerous it is and hope nobody on this thread does it. [crazy]

--------------------
Tyler Allen

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2005 07:51      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I found the demos and games at the T9 website very helpful! I hadn't spent the time figuring T9 out on my own. I have a Motorola phone, so the interface is awkward in places, but the site explained how T9 is supposed to work. With that knowledge, I was able to figure out how the Motorola interface differed from the ideal and now T9 makes more sense. [Applause]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2005 10:24      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you figured it out but I don't think Motorola uses T9. [Confused]

--------------------
Tyler Allen

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 10:50      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's not T9-brand predictive text entry, it's close enough, and easier than mashing buttons like you're entering NES cheat codes to spell each word.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 13:43      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What so you mean by easier. T9's pretty damn easy. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Tyler Allen

splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 15:50      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Easy for some, harder for others. Once again I call that no one quite gets the nature of LA traffic. Not moving and texting at the same time. Stop and go. Stop for sometimes 30 minutes... sometimes five minutes. It only takes me 30 seconds to write a text message with T9. I really don't think it's dangerous, I think if you'd spent enough hours staring at the bumper in front of you hoping it would move, you too would turn your car into an entertainment system. This is what all those DVD players in the front seat and stuff are meant for.... though they are often mis-used, it still is something that needs to be lived to be understood.
Uberism
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 15:58      Profile for Uberism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What so you mean by easier. T9's pretty damn easy. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Think so? I really found the website helpful-it's just something that you don't use unless you have too but once you learn it you find yourself doing it all the time.

--------------------
I make stuff up...sometimes

Posts: 18 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 16:18      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm familiar enough with the L.A. area traffic. I just don't equate being stopped in traffic with "driving."

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 15:24      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you hit somebody let us know cause with your ego it will happen dude.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 15:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* Another multitasking driver [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 12:16      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still no accidents. Still driving. And I'm still using T9. This is funny: http://www.techdigest.tv/2005/12/predictive_text.html
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 12:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And some people regularly drive drunk for years, and never have an accident. It doesn't mean that what they're doing isn't dangerous.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 15:07      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what do you eat? Some people eat sugar and caffeine for years, it doesn't mean what they're doing isn't dangerous. Most common causes of death in this country are all lifestyle choices, your point?
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 15:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all dangerous choices are personal. As TFD's story earlier showed, driving impaired affects others, not only yourself. As we've mentioned before, if your attention is being diverted from the road, you're driving impaired.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 17:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't normally drag up an old thread, but it seemed appropriate to add a link to this news story.

"Her arm was found near the accident still clutching a cell phone." [Eek!]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 13:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another necropost, this report on a court case here in oz.

quote:

A COUNTY Court judge has called for a campaign to warn of the dangers of drivers using mobile telephones, before jailing a 23-year-old man for four years and six months.

Marcus Stephen Johnstone, of Penshurst in south-west Victoria, had read a mobile telephone message and was trying to delete it when he lost control of the car he was driving on July 24, 2004. Passengers Emily Compton, 13, and Stephanie McCoy, 14, from Warrnambool, were killed instantly, and Jessica McCosh, 15 at the time, was seriously injured in the accident near Cobden.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture