homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » T9 Text Messaging (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: T9 Text Messaging
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 10:12      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just firgure this program to text quicker on my cell phone. Pretty killer www.textfast.t9.com

--------------------
Tyler Allen

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 10:40      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that on my beautiful, old, falling-apart Sony J5. It's great, especially with the jog dial. But it's annoying that 'he' and 'if' use the same buttons (not T9's fault, of course) and so do a few ofther common words.

Whenever possible, I use my PowerBook's keyboard instead using Address Book. Has anyone seen that feature? It's well hidden, but it's awesome. Just pair your computer with your phone over Bluetooth, and click the icon that appears in Address Book. Then you can right-click a contact to send them a text message, and all sorts of other cool features.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 13:49      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Bluetooth is cool for messaging on your computer but i don't bring my Labtop everywhere I go. I'm afraid I might start speaking in binary code or something so T9 does the trick for now.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 16:08      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate T9 and all other forms of "predictive texting"...

they are the work of the Devil..

these works added by true guess agility cobblers what the phonetic bust got tank get prevent waned...

With me????

grrrrr [Mad]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 17:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but I'm not. I love T9 - had it since my first phone. I think it's a rather clever piece of software, and makes SMS a quick process. Sure, it's wrong occasionally, but a quick press of '0' will pick the right word most of the time. (some words are a bloody nuisance, though.) I get the impression that T9's slower release across the pond is a contributing cause in the ~AIMglish used in SMS messages there. Also, if you're used to something, you might be hesitant to switch - but your thumb will thank you! Meanwhile, I'm still good at keying in letters the old fashioned way, and so I tend to program people's phones at work. [Wink] [Whilst showing one colleague how to add entries to his contact list, he said, "You text message, I guess?"]

*shrug*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 09:59      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T9 saves me at least 300 minutes a month now. i can't believe I just discovered it but better late than never.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 15:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Whenever possible, I use my PowerBook's keyboard instead using Address Book. Has anyone seen that feature? It's well hidden, but it's awesome. Just pair your computer with your phone over Bluetooth, and click the icon that appears in Address Book. Then you can right-click a contact to send them a text message, and all sorts of other cool features.

Max BluePhoneMenu is a nice little freeware app that might interest you. It does not work with newer 'phones but is fine with my T630.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 11:07      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool but I don't want to drag a labtop with me all the time so T9 works better for me that way.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 11:21      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tyler:
Cool but I don't want to drag a labtop with me all the time ...

Yeah, all those pipettes and shit just fall on the floor, don't they?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 11:48      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Nice one, spungo.

-

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 12:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Yeah. I know. I fscking hate it when that happens....

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 13:25      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jokers. [Applause]

--------------------
Tyler Allen

splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 13:57      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too love T9. It has changed my life. It is difficult to text while driving without it. If predictive texting is the work of the devil then I'm going straight ta hell. [evil]
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 15:44      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by splitpeasoup:
I too love T9. It has changed my life. It is difficult to text while driving without it. If predictive texting is the work of the devil then I'm going straight ta hell. [evil]

Just please tell me you aren't texting while driving in California's Central Valley. We have enough people not paying attention to the road when driving as it is.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 17:07      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I ride the bus and this is a quiet way to converse with friends and family. I can't stand people on the phone while driving. It should be illegal.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 20:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, I ride the bus and this is a quiet way to converse with friends and family. I can't stand people on the phone while driving. It should be illegal.

It is. (In NY, anyway.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 09:41      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You've obviously never lived in Los Angeles. When 1/2 of your driving time is spent going less than 10 mph it really isn't hazardous to use the phone while driving, or even to text while driving. Though, I gotta admit, it was a little harder before I started using T9. I don't think this kind of thing should be outlawed. Why should I be punished for someone else's stupidity and inability to multitask? They'll never outlaw it in CA because LA would shut down. Only illegal in NY because NYC runs on public transportation (I'm orig. from upstate NY).
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 09:51      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's gonna suck is when you rear-end someones mercedes at 5mph and have to pay your insurance deductible. Maybe you can multitask but the general public is different story.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 10:07      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You've obviously never lived in Los Angeles. When 1/2 of your driving time is spent going less than 10 mph it really isn't hazardous to use the phone while driving, or even to text while driving. Though, I gotta admit, it was a little harder before I started using T9. I don't think this kind of thing should be outlawed. Why should I be punished for someone else's stupidity and inability to multitask? They'll never outlaw it in CA because LA would shut down. Only illegal in NY because NYC runs on public transportation (I'm orig. from upstate NY).

<sarcasm>
OMG. We just couldn't ever inconvenience those poor L.A. drivers for the sake of safety. That would be the end of Western Civilization as we know it.
</sarcasm>

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 10:14      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I too love T9. It has changed my life. It is difficult to text while driving without it.

Maybe you should be paying attention to the road while driving? No matter how "good" you are at multi-tasking, anything that uses part of your attention while you're driving takes that attention away from the road where it belongs. I just feel sorry for the next person/car you hit because you were too busy trying to converse with someone else.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 10:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
quote:
I too love T9. It has changed my life. It is difficult to text while driving without it.

Maybe you should be paying attention to the road while driving? No matter how "good" you are at multi-tasking, anything that uses part of your attention while you're driving takes that attention away from the road where it belongs. I just feel sorry for the next person/car you hit because you were too busy trying to converse with someone else.
Sorry, I'm with the noob on this one. I've sat in Toronto traffic before, and e-mailed away on my blackberry.. the only alternative is to pay attention to myself moving 3-4 feet every minute or so.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 18, 2005 10:25      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Sxeptomaniac you're putting yourself in a bad sich. Just don't try that when you're stoned. [Geek]

--------------------
Tyler Allen

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 11:10      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they were just mainly doing it in bad traffic jams, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I am absolutely sick of dealing with idiots on cellphones on the state's freeways.

Multi-tasking is problematic, particularly when text messaging, because you not only are diverting your attention, you also need to take your eyes off the road to check if T9 guessed the right word and you are trying to drive with one hand. All of that means that your driving is impaired, even at low speeds.

--------------------

tyler
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 11:42      Profile for tyler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. T9 tragedy.

--------------------
Tyler Allen

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 12:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You've obviously never lived in Los Angeles. When 1/2 of your driving time is spent going less than 10 mph it really isn't hazardous to use the phone while driving, or even to text while driving. Though, I gotta admit, it was a little harder before I started using T9. I don't think this kind of thing should be outlawed. Why should I be punished for someone else's stupidity and inability to multitask? They'll never outlaw it in CA because LA would shut down.

I was crossing the road at the traffic lights with my 2 daughters, when some dickhead with a car and a mobile phone drove straight through the red light and nearly killed the 3 of us.

You may take your 'ability to multitask' and shove it so far up your arse that it makes your nose bleed.

If what you have to say is so fscking important that it can't wait till you get home, then pull over.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture