homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Two For The Money Review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two For The Money Review
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted October 12, 2005 16:37      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first movie review and would like to tell everyone that these are just my opinions obviously.Take them with a grain of salt and feel free to differ in follow up posts.I will try to not give too much away in terms of alot of plot specifics so as to not spoil the film for those who haven't seen it.

Movie Synopsis: This movie stars Al Pacino as Walter Abrams, who runs a sports betting "advisement business." Matthew McConaughey is Brandon Lang, an ex-quarterback who suffers a career ending injury in a bowl game. The movie starts out showing McConaughey's character working for a two bit betting advisement firm barely making it in terms of money.However he has a knack for being able to pick the results of college and pro football games. The problem:He's barely eeking out a living.Then one day he gets a call from Abrams advising that he could make a whole lot of money working for him. Brandon then heads off to the big city to work for Abram's character and finds the allure and entrapments lucrative. The story then shows a mentor/protege type relationship between the two characters that results in an emotional roller coaster also involving Walter's wife played by Renee Russo.

Who should see this: Geek girls who want to drool over McConaughey's abs in his ridiculous weight lifting scenes that do nothing to move the plot.

Who should not see this:Everybody who doesn't fit into the above category.

Final Grade: This movie has little to recommend it, hence my very short review. The filmgoer in my opinion has no vested interest in the characters and the acting is too over the top by Pacino as to be laughable. Of course his character is flawed and someone might argue that he has to be "over the top" because his character is after all a larger than life "betting advisor." I give this movie a 1/5 stars.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture