homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Movie Reviews

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie Reviews
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 21:38      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see a great deal of posts in this forum section related to current movies. Any geekculture members avid filmgoers? If so, I will try to post fairly regularly to this part of our forum if anybody would like to hear about most of the latest film releases.I probably spend more of my disposable income at the movies than anywhere else.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 01:53      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too cheap to goto the pictures regulary, but a forum on geeky reviews to movies sounds fun - I hate it when sci-fi movies get reviewed by people who don't know the difference between the Enterprise and the Death Star.

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 10, 2005 09:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gladiator, (and everyone else for that matter) that would be great. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 09:28      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here seen "The Night Watch"? Unusually for a subtitled Russian film it is getting a national release in the UK. I am tempted but I haven't met anyone who has seen it yet.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 12:49      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a car and the movies here around the base all suck. Only one has new movies, and none of the good ones at that (they don't have "Serenity"). I will have a car by Thanksgiving, so I should be doing much more movie going at that point.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 12:59      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gladiator:
Any geekculture members avid filmgoers? If so, I will try to post fairly regularly to this part of our forum if anybody would like to hear about most of the latest film releases.

*raises hand*... total movie geek, here. I'm VP of my uni's Fine Film Society, and so spend lots of time thinking about and watching films. Would be GREAT if you started posting reviews [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 13:28      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone seen the new Wallace & Gromit movie? Dying to hear if it be any good.

I may need to procure a child from somewhere in order to go see it...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 13:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I count myself among the movie geeks as well. I'm always on the lookout for a good movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Has anyone here seen "The Night Watch"? Unusually for a subtitled Russian film it is getting a national release in the UK. I am tempted but I haven't met anyone who has seen it yet.

I've heard of it, too. I'm very curious, and I'll be keeping an eye out for it here, too.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 14:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

What's the matter...not man enough to go see it by yourself? Just don't walk in with lollipops or anything. [Wink] Actually, if it wasn't for being a bit under the weather this [extended] weekend, I was hoping to rustle up some friends and go see it.

/me walks off while hearing "15 cans of Stella!" in the background. (iTunes, not my surroundings)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 14:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

Yup, in fact I posted a brief review of it a while back, if you hadn't been Absent Without Leave, you'd have seen it.

We actually got it first in oz (some quirk of the school holiday schedule), a departure from the usual pattern of the stupid-and-lazy local distributers waiting to see if something's a hit overseas before they get off their spotty behinds and release it here.

Quick summary: Loved it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 17:57      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wallace & Gromit movie made me shed my illusions of dull meaningless life and caused me to wrap myself in a thick mist of eternal bliss and exaltation!! Just think of the sculpture "The Ectasy of St. Theresa". That's how good that movie is. Yes yes yes yes.

Yeah, I liked it.

It was ^&!%^!& GREAT!!! If you haven't seen it stop what you're doing NOW and run to the nearest theater. I want to see it again. And again. And again. It was definitely worth the some 4 year wait.

They did throw in a few incongruous "adultisms" which didn't really fit. But it in no way spoiled the movie. No way no way no way.

WOULD YOU GO SEE IT ALREADY?!?!?!?!?!!?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 18:19      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

Seen it, and it is good, but got kinda predictable at the end.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 18:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes we just have to make fun of grim news...
http://www.b3ta.com/board/5208108

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 04:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Sometimes we just have to make fun of grim news...
http://www.b3ta.com/board/5208108

Ha ha! Took me about five seconds to get it, but Woo! indeed. [Smile]

(Didn't know you were a b3tan, old boy! Woo yay! )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 12:05      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*crawls out of woodwork at mention of b3ta(shameless link to my latest)*
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that links to mofaha's firetruck stop motion pic, right? It's a good one. [Big Grin]

p.s.spungo, did I ever send you the link for all the maisie pictures?

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 12:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
*crawls out of woodwork at mention of b3ta(shameless link to my latest)*
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that links to mofaha's firetruck stop motion pic, right? It's a good one. [Big Grin]

Yes'm. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture