homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Serenity now! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Serenity now!
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 14:44      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you liked the movie but missed the series, it's worth buying the DVD boxed set. Apart from the extra episodes that didn't get shown, it's got a ton of other extras and you get to watch all the episodes in the proper order [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 16:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
If you liked the movie but missed the series, it's worth buying the DVD boxed set. Apart from the extra episodes that didn't get shown, it's got a ton of other extras and you get to watch all the episodes in the proper order [Smile]

Regarding order...that's a joke - even the DVD has them in the 'wrong' order. Yes, the pilot does come 'first,' but many of the regular episodes are in a very quirky order. (I suppose it's production order, but it's just strange - I'm basing this off an episode guide.)

Also, the extras include a 'making of' piece which finally clarified my questions about the use of spoken Chinese.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 19:16      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The box set DVDs are how Joss originally wanted the episodes to be shown. That's what I read somewhere on the box or in one of the extras.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 17:10      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just arrived home from seeing "Serenity" for the first time. We had loved the "Firefly" series and were disappointed when they stopped so abruptly.

The movie was certainly no disappointment. Wow! One of those things best seen on the really big screen.
Now we'll hope that someone will pick up the series again -And- a sequel or three. [thumbsup] [Smile] [thumbsup] [Geek]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 21:40      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw this at ThinkGeek
 -

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 23:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to do your bit to ensure a sequel, you could pop on over to imdb and give it a high rating.

Every bit of pro-Serenity propaganda helps.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 15:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
If you want to do your bit to ensure a sequel, you could pop on over to imdb and give it a high rating.

Every bit of pro-Serenity propaganda helps.

Thanks for the tip and the link. I went over there and voted a 10 for Serenity, then registered so that it would count. I'm amazed at some of the films listed in the top 250...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 17:51      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I have been going by the "Joss Whedon is my master now" phrase for quite awhile. George Lucas has a blackmark in my book for his recent actions...
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 20:27      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally saw "Serenity" today and it was 10 times better than I expected. I just can't explain it. I was left with a feeling of awe, sadness, and excitement after the movie finished. The battle between the alliance fleet and the reaver fleet was just so freaking awesome! So much to say, but I will end here with this. Joss Whedon really knows what he is doing. As we see more and more remakes and sequals, it is nice to see some originality.
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 18:41      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell all of your friends, and every random stranger. This movie is likeable by way more than sci-fi geeks. Believe me, my friends sure anen't and they loved it.
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 18:44      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And tell anybody that goes to see Doom (why? WHHYYYY?) to buy a ticket for Serenity instead. Paying for Doom will make them make more of that crap, and... well, same for Serenity. But, at least Serenity was good.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 20:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
And tell anybody that goes to see Doom (why? WHHYYYY?) to buy a ticket for Serenity instead. Paying for Doom will make them make more of that crap, and... well, same for Serenity. But, at least Serenity was good.

It certainly looks that way:
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2005-10-24

/me is blissfully out of touch with mass media - I didn't even know there was a Doom movie until I saw that. (I'm not a gamer, BTW.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2005 20:48      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit that I have not seen the Doom movie yet but all the reviews are bad and word of mouth is worse. What I want to know is how'd they screwup "guy goes to mars and kills everything". [Confused]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 05:40      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frost:
I admit that I have not seen the Doom movie yet but all the reviews are bad and word of mouth is worse. What I want to know is how'd they screwup "guy goes to mars and kills everything". [Confused]

They added a bunch of talking, that's how!

Honestly though, the movie doesn't pretend to be anything more than a way to waste a couple hours in a theater, so see it at a matinee show instead of an evening show.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2005 13:36      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, and afterwards, go see Serenity for the matinee. Matter of fact, see it twice so that you make up for buying that horrid Doom ticket. It is definitely worth it. I can not emphasize that enough.
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 13:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ribbit:
What blows me away is how Doom can do better at the box office than Serenity. Seriously, it makes my brain bleed to think about it. No wonder they make so few intelligent, funny, compelling movies these days, people would rather go see crap with the Rock [Frown]

See a similar rant about The Fog here.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 18:27      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DVD is coming out on December 20! Pre-order now through the GC Amazon affiliate link! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 17:39      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No release date in the UK for the DVD yet [Frown] but the soundtrack album appeared on the UK iTunes store today, so I've bought that until I can pre-order the DVD.

It's a shame the Firefly soundtrack isn't on iTMS yet though, the movie soundtrack is good, but it doesn't have the theme song ("You can't take the sky from me").

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kiwi Saotome
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 22:50      Profile for Kiwi Saotome   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I.

I loved that movie. And I also want to see it again.

I loved every second of it. It wasn't "I really wanna be so funny" funny, but rather a slick little ride towards the finish line of the Firefly series.

Wonderful stuff! *holds up my Joss flag*

--------------------
I am Saotome. No relation to anime. No relation to flowers. Just hot happiness for everyone.

Posts: 19 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
saelri
Newbie Larva
Member # 4597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 19:59      Profile for saelri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to see it purely because it was Whedon, but I never got the chance. :[
Posts: 5 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture