homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Serenity now! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Serenity now!
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2005 17:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short review: Great movie! [Smile] Shiny, even. =D

Apologies to readers: I am not by any stretch of the means a frequent reviewer of books/media/movies...and it shows...

Long review:
Joss Whedon's Serenity, successor to his brief series, Firefly, is well...a great trip.
This movie complements Firefly well, but prior exposure is not necessary to enjoy it, as found by my friend (hereafter known as 'dragon-friend'). Long story short (*), I did manage to see nearly all of the series, including the pilot, last week. We both agree that the character development was very good, giving a good feel for the characters' personalities early on, but building on that further over time. In this regard, I think that Serenity exceeded the pilot episode - though the regular episodes certainly elaborated on smaller details of interpersonal relationships far better than the broad brush of this movie.

One especially refreshing development in this movie was the time and attention given to River Tam (Summer Glau) - she gave a very powerful performance, and really furthered her 'darkly cute' manner. Really, all I can say is "wow," and I'll leave it at that. ^_^

On the other side of the equation, I think Inara (Morena Baccarin) was put in more of a 'Deanna Troi' role (re: outfit, etc.), which I found ridiculous at times, especially for the way she was portrayed in the series. Targeting the larger audience, I suppose ignoring the "Companion" business was a smart move, though I thought it was a pretty interesting facet in the series.

I think the rest of the crew of the ship Serenity - namely, Malcolm (the Captain), Zoe, Wash, Jayne & Kaylee - we mostly portrayed the same way, with most of the focus on the Captain. Needless to say, Malcolm does his very best to show off, and does get his ego deflated to more natural levels. ^_~ On a related note, dragon-friend thought that some fighting scenes (come on...that's a given with Malcolm...no spoilers here...) were a bit carried away, and just a bit too much. Having seen the series, I think it's pretty much on par for El Capitan.

Since I have no wish to provide any spoilers about I'll just talk about a few things that I've pondered lately.

Speaking of ridiculous fights, I still didn't have many issues with it, though I did feel that one part could have gotten a whole 50 items checked off from Peter's Evil Overlord List. (To their credit, though, I do not believe there as a big red button marked "Do not press!" =D) Also, I fear such a comparison could be an insult to Serenity, but I found this movie to be an order of magnitude better than "Star Wars: Episode III." Don't kill me for having brought up that movie, but the idea just occurred to me last night...and how much more I enjoyed Serenity. I guess that could be misread as "It didn't suck," but then again, I'm a fan of mutt, which has the tag line: "All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less."

Having watched a bunch of Firefly already, I found it to be quite an enjoyable series, and found plenty of traces of Joss Whedon's style that he previously established in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. I'm probably not the first person to use this term, but if I am, I hearby coin the term 'Whedon-esque' to describe a certain manner of whimsical facetious speech, found in both series. Serenity definitely contains plenty of Whedon-esque dialogue. =D Sadly, I'd attempt to model some discussion in this review after it, but it doesn't translate well to the written word, and generally breaks more than a few grammar rules. [Wink] Speech isn't the only parallel to Buffy, as there is at least one hysterical sub-plot/character/item borrowed from an old episode. Also, there was one scene near the end that made me think of a 'gesture' featured in the 'silent episode' that would have been absolutely perfect.

Another thing that was featured far less in the movie, but has piqued my curiosity a good deal - the routine use of Chinese in the spoken dialogue. In Firefly, a good 15% of the dialogue is Chinese, but in Serenity, it's probably under 5%. My only guess is that China probably overtook Earth's population in their history, and so there was a great cultural/lingual merger. Otherwise, I cannot possibly understand why everyone can speak perfect English, but mutter/curse/yell in Mandarin. (If everyone [significant portion of American audience excepted] can understand it, what's the point of using it? It's not like you're keeping a great secret!) Mind you, the written use of Chinese, in the form of kanji, was very quirky, and appeared to be just for show. Even my untrained eyes recognized the fact that parts of it weren't actually kanji, and dragon-friend pointed out that some of it was katakana, which really doesn't make sense. He also pointed out that the Asian cultural ideas were pretty inconsistent, and not followed through to completion. I can appreciate these points, but I not as learned as him when it comes to Asian cultural studies - I have weak background in Asian religions, focusing on Japan...he minored in it (or was it a double major?). Needless to say, this won't really annoy many people...just us pedants. [Wink]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to kick back now and watch disc 3...just go see the movie - you'll like it. [Big Grin]

(I'd give a pretty good recommendation of it for a date, unless you have a very sensitive significant other/date/whatever, as some content might disturb a few people. Heck, dragon-friend and I are both familiar with some pretty unpleasant things featured in sci-fi and/or anime, but we're agreed that one thing is more than a bit unsettling. [For any familiar with the series, I'm talking about the 'reavers,' who are mentioned at least once or twice.])

I don't really do ratings, so I'll just give dragon-friend's rating: 9.5 out of 10. ^_^
If compelled to give it a score of some kind, I'll say "Two thumbs up."

P.S.
*While it might kill my /.-reading geek cred., I had not seen Firefly prior to last week. After I found out that I'd be seeing this, and *gasp* writing about it, I figured it would really only be right that I'd actually see the series first. Alas, despite their insanely fantastic delivery times and track record, Netflix didn't get it to me in full in time. I saw discs 1 & 2 last week, and enjoyed them quite a bit, as out of order as I may have seen it -- and discs 3 & 4 got delivered in the mail a mere 30 minutes before I headed to the theater.

P.P.S. Oh yeah...THANK YOU SNAGGY!!!! Thanks to the producers as well! Also, domo arigatou, dragon-friend, for covering the subway fare. [Smile] All in all, it was definitely a good day - I really can't complain (and I'm so damn good at doing that!) - a day that started with coffee with two cute, lovely, smart women, had a great movie in between, winded down with coffee made by a cute redhead barista, and ended with geek talk with a friend. ^__^

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 08:19      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am hoping for a Firefly / serenity themed JoT tomorrow (hint hint)

Brian
(at least let that be on of the answers: o I can't comment on the cartoon - too excited about Serenity)

I'm doing a triathelon (kayak / canoe, bike, run) saturday, and camping ner the starting spot, so I won't be seeing it opening night. but I WILL see it.

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 11:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow. I suspect many of us here at the Uni are excited about it! My roommate and a few other friends want to watch the series, too, so it should be interesting to see how they react to the series after seeing the film.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 12:01      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will see it tomorrow regardless. I will kill the gate watch just to get off base, though that shouldn't be necessary. I can't go until after 7pm though, so I hope it isnt packed...
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 12:04      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shiny! I will be seeing it Saturday night [Big Grin]

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 07:17      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie.

I dragged along heaps of friends who hadn't seen the series and even they thought it was great.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:57      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so going tonight after work. I get off at 7 and it starts at 740 and it takes 30 minutes to get across town. Horay for previews, lets hope its not packed. I'm dragging along some friends as well. Most of em have seen "Buffy" but not "Firefly" which is Joss's best work I have seen.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 19:29      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from the Big Damn Movie... I'm still processing it. But it was great. As DM said, even if you're not already a Browncoat, you should be able to catch up, thanks to the segment at the beginning.

Seems as though everyone fell right back into their characters and rhythms, and good to see Kaylee without the extra weight Joss had Jewel do for the series... heh heh...

Some good turns here and there that I wouldn't dream of spoiler-ing (that's another podcast altogether).

I think this flick makes a great closing to the series, if that's how it goes, but if the box-office is willing, it's also open enough (due to the serial nature of what they do) to allow for more flicks.

Sadly, there were only about a dozen or so folk in the theatre I saw it, 7:15 show, but maybe it will pick up on word of mouth. Or word of forum. So go see the Big Damn Movie, would ya?

=DB
Joss Whedon is my master now

--
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.

Edit: Whedon... thanks DM, it was a typo!

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 20:12      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, no freaking way. I always wanted that shirt from thinkgeek, but I kinda buy other stuff that is more readily availible (damn you barnes and nobles). Joss Whedon is my master too. Oh, I couldn't get out to see the movie. I guess there is always tomorrow.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 21:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks...it's "Whedon" - not to be confused as a spelling cousin of "Wheaton" (i.e. Wil Wheaton).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 01, 2005 10:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] [Applause] [Eek!] [Applause] [thumbsup]

Nitro and I went to see it yeasterday... wow, what a fantastic ride!

It's everything I had hoped for and more. We ended up staying for the next show too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 11:34      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
[Eek!] [Applause] [Eek!] [Applause] [thumbsup]

Nitro and I went to see it yeasterday... wow, what a fantastic ride!

It's everything I had hoped for and more. We ended up staying for the next show too. [Big Grin]

Hmm, I guess my friends' reports that it was a disappointment was false then. Maybe I will go see it still.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 11:36      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Are you allowed to do that in Canada? [Wink]

=DB

You can't take the sky from me...

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 11:52      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang it...have to wait for it to be released to DVD....darn rural towns that think just because there's only about 800 people here, we don't need a movie theatre made especially to showcase the works of Joss! [Frown]

--------------------
ubergeekprincess...why? because if ya have to be a geek, you may as well be royalty:)

Posts: 22 | From: NM | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 01, 2005 15:40      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you have to fix that...

Charleston, SC is no better. I have to go all the way across town to find a movie thater that even carries it. Not to mention the show time suck.

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 18:15      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is number two in the box office so far! Very nice! [Applause]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 03, 2005 19:35      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAY! They have to bring back "Firefly." I would kill almost anyone for that. And I am trained in the use of a 9mm Baretta.
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 19:45      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Tree:
YAY! They have to bring back "Firefly." I would kill almost anyone for that. And I am trained in the use of a 9mm Baretta.

You and Jace are gonna get along rather well

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 20:01      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:

You and Jace are gonna get along rather well
Maybe they'll end up on the same ship. Navy, Marines... could happen.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 20:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
It is number two in the box office so far! Very nice! [Applause]

But it's number 2 with only $10 million in ticket sales. [Frown] That doesn't look too good since they spent $40 million to make the movie. Hopefully this will be a steady money maker instead of dropping off sharply after the first two weeks they way most movies do, otherwise I think we'll have to live without Joss Whedon's other two movie ideas.

I saw the movie yesterday. I loved it! It was a little bit hard to follow in the first couple of minutes, just because it was hard to figure out what was really happening and what was fantasy or flashback. I started laughing pretty early on and I loved the fight scenes. <SPOILER>The part where they find their hideout burned and everyone dead reminded me a lot of Star Wars. I could hear Alec Guinness saying, "There was nothing you could have done had you been there, Mel. You would have been killed, too, and River would be in the hands of the Alliance."</SPOILER> It made me really want to see Firefly, but unfortunately none of the video rental places around here carry it. This may be the perfect excuse to get Netflix. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 03, 2005 21:33      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved it too, and lots of laughing from the crowd. also a few gasps [Eek!] and some NOOs! [cry baby] during a certain scene. I could see a bit of confusion with the back story of some of the characters, but as the reviews have said you can enjoy it even if you've never seen an episode of Firefly. [Applause]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:22      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's much better if you saw Firefly first.
Willhh1
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted October 05, 2005 06:43      Profile for Willhh1         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it too. I won't rate it better than Star Wars, but it definitely was worth seeing. I loved the loose deflector panel.

I also saw the series. One big disconnect from the series: no "blue hand" people. The series had them as River's mysterious experimenters, not the egomaniac scientist. Minor point.

Posts: 12 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 07:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But it's much better if you saw Firefly first.

Probably so, but I'm actually glad I didn't see discs 3 or 4 before seeing the movie. I think I rather enjoyed having a bit more of a surprise about a few details, that might have left the moving feeling 'lighter' if I'd learned many of the details beforehand. (Kind of like seeing 'major' trailers before seeing a 'weak' movie.)

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 07:56      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to see it today, so I'll check in later about what I thought about it.

Edit: Went today and have to say it was great. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] I'll have to catch up on the episodes. Sad to say I never watched when it was on. [cry baby] I didn't even know of its existence until Zwilnik posted that it had been cancelled. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture