homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Review... Red Hat linux ... Fedora Core 4 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Review... Red Hat linux ... Fedora Core 4
Mr. Fusion Home Energy Generator
Newbie Larva
Member # 4279

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 14:50      Profile for Mr. Fusion Home Energy Generator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great software under the GNU Licence... (Free to distribute and change)

Download it at http://fedora.redhat.com/

Its a great alternitive to any version of Windows...

Most drivers are supported (Onboard the 4 disk install set). But the 64 bit version that they came out is just Like XP 64. Buggy and security problems. (Even though it is linux)

Great Tech Support

WARNING: If you have a wireless device Good luck, trying to find a driver that is supported.

Posts: 5 | From: ... Must find my gps... | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 14:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I can tell someone hasn't read up on our previous conversations!!

Someone's starting to sound Spamish!

(Although I grant that as a new wireless user, it is good to know that Fedora doesn't support wireless. But on the other hand, I'm running Tiger on my PowerBook and not planning to switch OSes any time soon.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 14:59      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried it. Didn't like it. Testing out Ubuntu now.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 15:33      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sxepto

Let me know how it goes - I just downloaded the Kubuntu Live CD's (Hedgehog version) for x86 and PPC - the first attempts with PPC produced a CD that had no effect at all, next I got a "killer CD" that caused a kernel panic just by being inserted (2 different G4s and a G5 2GHz DP tower) and third attempt a CD that has so far booted as far as loading the desktop before locking up on one of the G4s.

Haven't tried the x86 one yet because I have to reassemble the old 300MHz Celeron box before I can try it out. I just want to try it out and see just what this Linux is really all about (I've tinkered with an install of FreeBSD that I never really got to work properly and the free version of Xandros, which I really liked (very nice installer) as far as I went - which wasn't really much further than toying with the KDE environment). So this far I haven't got past tinkering with KDE (whick I rather like actually - though I haven't tried Gnome).

As most of you know I am really a Mac fanboy but I can do Windows at a push and would really like to learn a lot more about Linux/BSD - now if I can just get a distro that will install as nicely as the free version of Xandros did so I can really try it out I'll be happy (hoping that Kubuntu could be the answer...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 17:13      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

As most of you know I am really a Mac fanboy but I can do Windows at a push and would really like to learn a lot more about Linux/BSD - now if I can just get a distro that will install as nicely as the free version of Xandros did so I can really try it out I'll be happy (hoping that Kubuntu could be the answer...

Installation wasn't too bad, for the most part. I had a few odd problems when setting up the accounts, and the default settings for the display would cause it to become scrambled on the login screen the second time it booted (the first time the image would just occasionally become off-center). I had to do a couple of re-installations to get those fixed.

Mepis was a really easy install (and also uses KDE), but I ran into too many bugs when actually using it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 03:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak --------------I am using Ubunto and have been for about six months, I recomend you order thier CD's as the ones they make load better than burned ones. Also I have found that in the begining set up two accounts so if it asks for password you do not end up making changes you had not intended.
I have recently ordered the newest CD's as there is a newer OS out. before I had a live and installer for x86 and a PPC version this last time I only ordered the x86 installer I am also going to try Puppy linux and have been tring Marv's hamshack linux

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 05:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the Live CD for PPC to boot the G4 on a second go around.

Looks pretty much as I expected (though not quite as nice as the default Xandros install (no doubt all that can be adjusted once I find a machine (x86 or PPC) to actually install it on.

I am really a computer "user" and not a hacker/coder so I am most interested in the "desktop user experience". I am getting pretty sick of all my non computer savvy acquaintences asking me to fix their horrid flyblown adware/spyware/virus infested Wintel boxes (which I do fix - usually by formatting and reinstalling and then installing using AntiVir, ZoneAlarm, Adaware and Spybot S&D so i've got half a chance that they won't be back within the week whining that it's "broken" again)

What I am really searching for is an "Average Joe" useable distro that I can both recommend and actively evangelise to these poor benighted souls (well the ones I can't convince to go over to Macintosh anyway...)

You know - something that when they dump their crippled Win9x/2k box on me I can say "well why don't I install this for you and see how you get on with that?" Most of them are usually expecting the full format and re-install anyway so they really would hardly care if I put Xandros or Kubuntu or something on instead of yet another version of Microsoft's "finest work"

So far Xandros has come closest to what I am looking for (but it isn't free if you want the fully featured one). [Frown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 08:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything based on Redhat == junk.

That is all.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 08:29      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anything from the prior poster == stupid

That is all.

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 08:46      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

That is all.

Generalizing Redhat products == childish.

That is all.

Well, maybe that isn't all.

I'm not particularly fond of Redhat anything, but I'd not stoop to calling it "junk".

Notoriously bloated?, yes. Advancing open-source and popularizing linux?, also yes.

Of the many things I do here, I manage a group of servers running RHEL 3. I personally would have chosen another variant, and indeed in some cases dealing with RH is a pain, but in terms of commercial software compatibility, and peace of mind with our less than tech savvy "higher-up" figures at the company, I'm willing to deal with it.

The web-based update management/scheduling features aren't too bad either.

Fedora Core on the other hand? ugh, don't get me started. [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 09:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
quote:

That is all.

That is all.

I'm not particularly fond of Redhat anything, but I'd not stoop to calling it "junk".

Notoriously bloated?, yes. Advancing open-source and popularizing linux?, also yes.

Of the many things I do here, I manage a group of servers running RHEL 3. I personally would have chosen another variant, and indeed in some cases dealing with RH is a pain, but in terms of commercial software compatibility, and peace of mind with our less than tech savvy "higher-up" figures at the company, I'm willing to deal with it.

When there are much better selections out there, including better software, better usability, and better interoperability, I think RedHat is a poor choice for everything.

Just because Redhat was first out of the gate does not preclude it from being junk. I'd even hazard to say it stifles the Linux community because it puts out garbage that might turn useful people who would otherwise contribute to the Linux community away from Linux because they'd expect other distributions to be as absolutely painful as Redhat is.

That's my $0.02.

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 18:51      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is all.

That is all.

When there are much better selections out there, including better software, better usability, and better interoperability, I think RedHat is a poor choice for everything.

Just because Redhat was first out of the gate does not preclude it from being junk. I'd even hazard to say it stifles the Linux community because it puts out garbage that might turn useful people who would otherwise contribute to the Linux community away from Linux because they'd expect other distributions to be as absolutely painful as Redhat is.

That's my $0.02.

Thus beginneth the distro war...

Personally, I've never had a good experience with Debian. apt has always been broken, I've had trouble installing kernels, etc. That, and the fact that the last time I used Debian the kernel was a 2.2 when 2.4 was the latest. I mean, I know I can compile a new kernel, but on a PPC that can be kinda tricky sometimes, and I don't really have time to hack around in kernel source (which would probably mess things up even further, anyways).

That said, I've always liked YellowDog. want to install a package? simple, just run
code:
 yum -y install packagename 

I know that is very similar to apt-get, but under yellowdog things actualy work. Debian has always seemed poorly integrated to me, like the different packages were put together individually and then slapped onto the system, not designed to really work with any other applications. Of course, I guess it gets hard to make everything work together when you have the largest library of pre-built packages available for your distro.

But on the other side of the fence, I used RedHat FC4 recently, and didn't really like it. Simply put, it was too cutting edge. Logical volumes? WTF? I know the theory, but I've never had to use them seeing as to how I work with PPC hardware almost exclusively.

There were some other things about RHFC4 I didn't like, namely the init scripts. There is simply too much stuff there. I edit my initscripts by hand, not by using the editor, and I was just unsure of the function of a lot of those daemons/scripts (yes, I know I could have googled their function, but there were so many of them and I didn't have time. Why should I have to bother?).

So I guess what I'm saying is that I like the way YDL does RPM-based linux. Very smooth. Very suave. It's like the James Bond of the linux world.

NOTE: I have yet to try ubuntu, which I do plan to do; I'm having difficulty burning ISO's at the moment.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 19:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using Ubuntu for a few weeks now, and quite like it.

It's a lot more spartan than some of the other distros, generally supplying only one of each application category (so it is easier on disk space than some of the others), but because it's Debian based, it's easy to install other packages if something you actually want is missing.

The main reason I use it is that friends had told me its hardware detection and support was much better, and sure enough, it turned out to be the only distro to work properly with everything on my laptop, including the wireless card. It even beat Knoppix in this, very impressive.

I may be a geek, but I don't actually enjoy stuffing about for hours trying to get a kernel to talk to basic hardware.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2005 19:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is all.

That is all.

That's my $0.02.

Thus beginneth the distro war...

Personally, I've never had a good experience with Debian. apt has always been broken, I've had trouble installing kernels, etc. That, and the fact that the last time I used Debian the kernel was a 2.2 when 2.4 was the latest. I mean, I know I can compile a new kernel, but on a PPC that can be kinda tricky sometimes, and I don't really have time to hack around in kernel source (which would probably mess things up even further, anyways).

That said, I've always liked YellowDog. want to install a package? simple, just run
code:
 yum -y install packagename 

I know that is very similar to apt-get, but under yellowdog things actualy work. Debian has always seemed poorly integrated to me, like the different packages were put together individually and then slapped onto the system, not designed to really work with any other applications. Of course, I guess it gets hard to make everything work together when you have the largest library of pre-built packages available for your distro.

But on the other side of the fence, I used RedHat FC4 recently, and didn't really like it. Simply put, it was too cutting edge. Logical volumes? WTF? I know the theory, but I've never had to use them seeing as to how I work with PPC hardware almost exclusively.

There were some other things about RHFC4 I didn't like, namely the init scripts. There is simply too much stuff there. I edit my initscripts by hand, not by using the editor, and I was just unsure of the function of a lot of those daemons/scripts (yes, I know I could have googled their function, but there were so many of them and I didn't have time. Why should I have to bother?).

So I guess what I'm saying is that I like the way YDL does RPM-based linux. Very smooth. Very suave. It's like the James Bond of the linux world.

NOTE: I have yet to try ubuntu, which I do plan to do; I'm having difficulty burning ISO's at the moment.

[Eek!]

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I don't really use debian much anymore, as I find gentoo, while it takes forever to install, is worth it in the end.

However, I don't know how you ran into issues with debian and integration and apt being broken -- apt has been broken like twice in the whole time I've used debian (many many moons) and each time was only in the 'unstable' distribution, so I kind of deserved it anyway.

debian is one of the best integrated systems out there, as well as rarely broken, and excellently maintained. I've heard plenty of arguments about debian packages being too old (and they're true) and perhaps debian having some stupidly anal rules about what it allows and what packages/licenses are OK, but poorly integrated, and broken? Hardly.

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 08:10      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*centos is cool*cough* [Razz]
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 11:54      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunkennewfiemidget: I was responding to your generalization more than anything else...after all, "All generalizations are false" . [Razz] As a general rule, I avoid Redhat products.

I personally use Gentoo and Debian. I have a stage 2 Gentoo install going on the laptop I'm typing this from and I've run Debian on my home web/file server for a few years now.

Whenever possible, we use Debian at work in any additional server installations...the decision to use Redhat on some servers was made some time ago without my input and my coworker and I have evangelized Debian as much as possible since then, which has payed off.

We now Debian on several web servers as well as network traffic shaping appliances we've been developing.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 20:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This maybe a bit "off topic" so feel free to skip my ravings if you care not a whit about how Linux seems to a tech savvy but "linux virgin" sort of person.

You will already probably have read above that I am a heayy duty Mac user and Windows capable sort of person with no Linux experience who *really* wants to give this "alternative lifestyle" a serious try. So how has it gone?

I admit to starting out with a version of FreeBSD - sounded like the sort of place I wanted to go. Several tries at installing that never produced a proper working box (never mind the interminal questions that I had to guess at over and over to even get an X environment up and running) but I did persevere enough to get a KDE desktop running becuase I needed to see what the thing was really all about (couldn't get proper sound or video support running though).

Next I tried the Open Circulation version of Xandros which impressed me with its simple GUI install and "Joe Average" user level of freindlness - though some functions are hobbled (esp. dial up access IIRC)

Ubuntu/Kubuntu was my next stop - lots of good reports and both live and install CD iso's available for download - tried both PPC and x86 versions and got several "unbootable" CDs plus one "killer CD" that caused a kernel panic in any OSX Mac in went into. Persevered and eventually got a live CD that booted one (out of two) of my G4s on the 3rd try...

Finally got a bootable install CD for the old Celeron box and pressed on with that. The installer is old school text but not difficult so I can live with that - failed first time at basic package install 71%. Tried again got past that point and stalled at configuring base packages 25%. Made a new clean CD from a new dowloaded ISO and tried again (at least 3/4 hour a go remember) and got to basic package install 77%. Tried again and stalled at whatever comes after basic package configure and failed yet again at about 21% - OK I am a sucker for punishment but that is just too much - "Joe Average" under pressure might try twice but I have now made over 6 attempts to get Kubuntu to run on a variety of hardware with only one successful boot from a live CD.

Decided to reboot the poor old Celeron yet again fearing that maybe the CD drive was "suspect" or that the HD was "iffy" but this time gave the Xandros Open Circulation installer another go just to see how it fared against the Kubuntu Installer (2 different CD burns from ISO having failed twice each).

Booted from the CD and got a nice "friendly" GUI install screen that asks a few simple questions (like are you really sure you want to destroy all data on the existing partition, in ways that even your grandma can understand) before going ahead.

Nice GUI screen similar to the sort of thing Adobe or the like would use follows - showing progress bar and then at 100% asks you to remove the CD and reboot...

Takes a little while as it configures first time and then kicks in.
Detected all the hardware (including the onboard graphics and sound that gave Win2k so many problems I can't bother to list them).

Result!!!
Xandros OCE 3 - Did the job with a free download (certain funcitons hobbled or not)...

Kubuntu - promised much but failed to deliver in the "Average Joe" old but average kit division - I really wanted to like this but I'm afraid I can't recommend it to the average punter who comes to me with a flyblown "Wintel box" - I'm no "computer expert" but I will push on regardless where many would just give up. If I can't get it to install "Joe Average" is doomed from the start (pity really as the one G4 I did finally get to boot it did seem to show a nice OS with good "average user" potential)

Xandros wins hands down for me - installs easy - detects all hardware on my avg. old Celeron without complaint and looks nice when done (ok so it is designed for your average Windows refugee- but is that really a bad thing?)

Linux vs OS X? Sorry but no competition - I may be a Mac fanboy but "it just works (tm)" makes a mockery of all but Xandros so far for me and I'm afraid that other than that my standard advice of BAM (Buy A Mac) will still have to stand (damn - I really wanted something I could evangelise to these poor benighted souls as a second string to BAM....) Only Xandros is looking good right now...

Flame on Linux gurus - but despite my best efforts I still have no truly free FOSS desktop to offer my "luser" acquaintences...

Ubuntu/Kubuntu looked so promising I really wanted it to work real easy first time for me - but it let me down; as Linux has every time so far... Hell - I *hate* Windows and would kill for an alternative FOSS solution that could cut the mustard with these poor "know nothing better" users but still I am reduced to either fixing up their infested systems or recommending a Mac....

Must try harder I'm afraid...

--------------------

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 03:26      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand you could use one of many variants of BSD.

-

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 06:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak,

I have/am using the Ubuntu for PPC on a G3 at the office. Soon I am going to install it on a G4 there too.

My Ubuntu install: I have a stack of odd-n-ends on my desk(see w3rk p1x) among the mess is 2-3 CD's of Ubuntu that would not work. I know I should throw them away. But that would get into my IRC time.

Anyway, I am trying to say that I had the same exact problems with Ubuntu downloads. I don't know why but they can get a bit squirrely. It may be in your best interest to order the CD from them direct.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 13:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had similar problems with installing downloaded linux disks a while back, disk read errors at random points in the installation, even though the disks verified perfectly.

I eventually solved the problem by using CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. My theory is that it was a speed thing, the RWs only read at 4X, the CD-Rs would (try to) read at 48X, which seems to be a little too fast for my poor old Celeron 433 laptop to cope with.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 14:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
anything from the prior poster == stupid

That is all.

Sorry, Jace, but I think dnm's Linux view are reasonably aligned with mine - and I do think RedHat sucks. I'm a Debian guy myself. The only thing I can see going for RedHat is their Enterprise support - that might help more than a bit getting Linux going in the corporate world.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 18:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I had similar problems with installing downloaded linux disks a while back, disk read errors at random points in the installation, even though the disks verified perfectly.

I eventually solved the problem by using CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. My theory is that it was a speed thing, the RWs only read at 4X, the CD-Rs would (try to) read at 48X, which seems to be a little too fast for my poor old Celeron 433 laptop to cope with.

Did you try writing the CD-Rs at a slower speed? Not sure if that works in this case, but works a treat for reliable MP3 CD burning for my DVD player.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 20:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been using FC4 on some of our clusters at Aspen...it seems to work OK. It's certainly more straightforward than SuSE. I still haven't been able to figure out how to do a proper kernel SRPM on SuSE, and neither have our production engineers...
IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 23:12      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got Sarge on my NFS box, I have Ubuntu on my desktop (and I put it on my Dad's box too). I think though, that my <3 really belongs to
 -

I've been running OpenBSD on my laptop for a while now, and besides needing to get the sound going, and getting a compatible wifi card, for me, it Just Works (TM).

I have used Red Hat Enterprise 3. I was setting it up on a Dell that it was supposed to be fully compatible with. After much RAID flakiness and broken X, my opinion of Red Hat is that I don't think it would even enter into my choices for a server OS. It seemed awfully delicate to me, and that was the Enterprise version.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2005 01:48      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally decided to give the Kubuntu install yet another go...

Failed at the infamous unpacking 71% but this time asked me if I wanted to continue with the risk that there might be a broken file, I agreed and the damn thing finally installed.

Man does that take a long time - or is it because I was watching the endless scrolling "getting" and "unpacking" text?

Anyway it is up and running (though at first I couldn't enter any passwords because it kept entering 5 characters at every keypress (WTF!!!)) A restart seemed to fix that...

I don't know quite whether I like it or not - as a Mac/Windows user having to browse your own machine with Konqueror seems a bit alien (and why no disks/home/trash on the desk? Other distros I've seen have stuff on the desk in the Mac/Windows style (yes i know only Macs put the HDs direct on the desk but even in Windows going to "my computer" bugs me).

Still I will give it a go and maybe if I don't like it too much I will try something else that is a bit less alien to a "foreigner" like me (don't forget my main aim is to find a non tech savvy Windows refugee friendly distro for a "Joe Average" type user.

TCTQ: I started out with FreeBSD like I said but it was way to technical an install and although I got it running with KDE I never did get the modem or sound working (not really what I require).

[Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture