homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Star Wars III... some kinda hope...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars III... some kinda hope...
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 11:48      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I've been hearing that Episode III is actually QUITE GOOD! I'm hearing this even from people who hated I & II.

Can anyone vouch? Are people caught up in the hype or is this one actually good?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 12:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few reviews here. A lot of people seem to think that it is better than Eps I and II, but not to the caliber of IV, V, or VI. I think that it wasn't great, but it had killer lightsaber battles so it was fun anyway.

/me has seen it twice already [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 12:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to see it tonight.

I will let you know.

note: I have greatly disliked the other two "movies" that have come out.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 15:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw and hated the so-called "Episode I" (i.e. the crap with the little fool). I read the adapted screenplay of Episode II, and it was "alright," but after hearing about the bad acting, I didn't watch it, and still haven't. I'm tossed about this one - I'll probably see it, but I'm going to rustle up some friends or other company first to drag with me. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 17:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to a critic tonight (Mark Kermode) review this film - he said "George Lucas directs like an accountant."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evendir
Geek Larva
Member # 3839

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 20:29      Profile for Evendir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Hey! I've been hearing that Episode III is actually QUITE GOOD! I'm hearing this even from people who hated I & II.

Can anyone vouch? Are people caught up in the hype or is this one actually good?

I've seen it twice so far (once for a midnight show on opening night, and then again today just tagging along with some friends), and... it really is pretty good.

It certainly doesn't compare to Episodes IV-VI, but it's heads and tails above the first two travesties in this series, and actually qualifies as a decent movie. The first half hour is pretty terrible, but it gets better. The special effects and animation are astonishing (to the degree that I didn't even really appreciate it on the first viewing, because everything looked completely in place, animated or otherwise), the light sabre battles are fun, and there are a couple entertaining performances (Kenobi, Palpatine).

Even if you didn't like the first two, I'd recommend seeing it.

Posts: 21 | From: Best City On Earth: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 22:17      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Yeah...I saw it opening night, midnight showing. Nobody should be surprised by that. It's the best of the prequels, which really isn't saying much, but I did actively enjoy this one. There were some real Snarky Lucas One-Liners(tm) to be had, and as the movie "devolved" back into the look of the original Trilogy, it just got better.

Without giving anything away: the scene which introduces Vader's legendary body armor and helmet sent some chills up my spine.

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 08:43      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Without giving anything away: the scene which introduces Vader's legendary body armor and helmet sent some chills up my spine.

However the end of that scene made me laugh out loud... like quite a bit of the film, to be honest [Big Grin] It was still better than Episodes 1 and 2 though
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 10:37      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should make an ep. III part 2. There is about 18 years of the rebel allience and some battles in there that I would like to see.

ep I - III Is Anikin's story ep IV - VI are Luke's story and ep III part 2 could be Lehia's story.

I sit and read the Expanded Universe on Starwars.com waaaaay to much.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 12:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
They should make an ep. III part 2. There is about 18 years of the rebel allience and some battles in there that I would like to see.

Isn't that what the new TV shows are going to be about?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 14:11      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New TV shows? Oro?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 19:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*gasp*
Someone else in these parts who says "Oro?!"

[misspelled]Nayundaiyo![/misspelled]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 08:12      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it last night (Saturday) with my wife. All I can say is it was better than the other two.

But no matter how much perfume you spray on sh*t, it is still sh*t.

I was still disappointed overall with the movie. And I feel that Lucas should have just let this trilogy lie in the back of his mind. And the idea of anymore SW movies make my stomach turn. I have soured to the whole idea of anything Star Wars being made ever again.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 14:49      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I thought some of the things I'd been hearing sounded too good to be true. Now that the hype has settled down somewhat, I'm hearing more comments like "Well, it was good for a Star Wars movie." Which means that it still stinks at least a little bit. I just couldn't believe that suddenly, after two embarassing movies (I & II), Lucas' muse suddenly appeared and he makes a masterpiece (or at least something palatable). I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not rushing to the theaters. I will see it, though. I was indoctrinated into the Star Wars nonsense as a very little kid in 1977. It's one of the first movies I remember seeing. Then I remember leaving the theater, walking across to a toy store and HAVING to have an Obi-Wan action figure. Wow. Marketing works. It's AMAZING!!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture