homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Dalek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dalek
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 12:20      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the first TV series of Doctor Who in the early 1960s. I would have been about 7 or 8 years old; I guess it was my first introduction to science fiction and I was hooked.

So this evening I've been re-introduced to the Daleks. Well, Dalek, to be precise: there was only the one this time. And this time, it wasn't scary. To be honest, I found it quite sad.

Older and wiser? Emotional resonance? More conditioned to TV? Who knows, who cares? When all's said and done, it *is* only TV, entertainment, showbiz. (Although, in passing, I have to say that this 'reincarnation' of the series has really exceeded my expectations...)

Whatever - I hope you get the chance to see it. If not, at least go and have a click around on the BBC website, there's some fun stuff there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

All this, a long (Bank Holiday) weekend *and* I start a new job on Tuesday - y'see, sometimes life *can* be good ;-)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 21:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's hard to be scared of something with a toilet plunger for an arm. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 22:30      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Yes, it's hard to be scared of something with a toilet plunger for an arm. [Wink]

And has a voice that sounds like Paul Williams choking on a grape...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 23:13      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years ago, my CDT teacher always used to call me Dalek because of my hairdo. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 03:38      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[quote]And has a voice that sounds like Paul Williams choking on a grape...[]/quote]
I don't know if you people outside of the queens realm get the show 'rainbow'. Anyway, one of the daleks was voiced by the dame bloke who did zippy. When you think about it they do sound quite alike.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture