homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » A musician I had overlooked, Chris Smither

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A musician I had overlooked, Chris Smither
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 09:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he is not a new musician by any means. And I have listened to his stuff for quite a few years. Anyway, yesterday I was scrolling through my Nomad and found a few tracks of his I had. And started listening. And I had to post this.

If anyone is curious on how he sounds, here is a few tracks from NPR. There is also a link to Kasey Chambers on the same page. [Cool]

Mail Order Mystics. From Happier Blue

Youíve got money, child, and Iíve got time.
Donít say yours is heavy if you ainít tried mine,
Shake out your silver, buy me some wine,
Iíll sell you celebration if youíll buy my time
Donít tell me Ďbout your troubles, Iíve got mine.
All I want to talk about is loviní and wine.

Donít tell me death is easy when Iím dyiní so slow
Go tell it to your doctor, itís what you pay him for.
If heís an old one heíll be rolliní Ďround the floor.
It ainít that I donít hear, I just donít listen no more,
You can go ahead, shoot yourself, I donít mind,
But all I want to talk about is loviní and wine.

Canít you just go out and see the stars at night
Without askiní someone lucky how to see them right
Mail order mystics never had it so good.
You go ahead and listen, like I knew you would.
Then itís hours of conversation all about my sign,
And all I want to talk about is loviní and wine.

Donít tell me Ďbout your troubles, child, Iíve got mine.
All I want to talk about is loviní and wine.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 12:17      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the article namechecks a few folks whose music I've been into for a while now, so I'm curious to hear Mr S, but WTF is *.smil format? Where're the mp3s then? ;-)

/showing his ignorance *again*...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 12:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NPR archives everything in Real Audio formats. You will need Real Audio or an equilvilent. On windows I use Real Alternative.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 12:45      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
On windows I use Real Alternative.

Yes, so do I -- on the Windoze machines at work, and jolly good it is too. Unfortunately, I'm looking at this on my Mac at home using Safari as my browser and I'm not aware of a suitable equivalent... Ah, the joys of being in a minority subculture!
;-)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 15:17      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
On windows I use Real Alternative.

Yes, so do I -- on the Windoze machines at work, and jolly good it is too. Unfortunately, I'm looking at this on my Mac at home using Safari as my browser and I'm not aware of a suitable equivalent... Ah, the joys of being in a minority subculture!
;-)

The Real One Player comes in OSX flavour too. I know some people don't like it but it does me for listening to Radio 4 on these lonely nights
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 18:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allan, just had to say, you're really cute. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 22:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Allan, just had to say, you're really cute. [Smile]

Watch out, you're being influenced by that d**n superficial society, Rhonwyyn [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 23:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, you do realize, Mr. Know-It-All, that I could have been referring to his post? [Razz]

Could have been, but wasn't. I rarely tell men that they're attractive because I'm trying to reserve all such judgments until I marry (I'm trying to stay neutral as far as appearances go so no matter what, I'll find my husband attractive). Thus, I didn't tell Allan that he's attractive (I have no idea if he really is or not), but his pose and demeanor do elicit a sort of "Aww!! He's adorable!" knee-jerk reaction. [blush]

--------------------

Mister Boo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 26, 2005 06:54      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what were you doing looking at Allan's post [Wink] Where's Zorro when you need him? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 08:17      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope she enjoyed it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 18:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhhhh, HELP!!!! [Eek!]

I'm just glad that Allan hasn't been reading this thread!! You guys took what was meant to be a compliment (today is National Compliment Day, btw) and turned it into something nefarious. Silly boys.

[blush] [shake head] [blush]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 18:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ahhhhhhh, HELP!!!! [Eek!]

I'm just glad that Allan hasn't been reading this thread!! You guys took what was meant to be a compliment (today is National Compliment Day, btw) and turned it into something nefarious. Silly boys.

[blush] [shake head] [blush]

Oh yeah? Well women can turn an innocent comment like "It's a nice day outside" into a hateful comment that you will regret for the rest of your life/relationship*, so turnabout is fair play. [Big Grin] I could just see that example, "Oh yeah! Well if it's such a nice day outside, why haven't you taken me somewhere wonderful, huh?! You don't love me anymore!"

*whichever comes first

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 19:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow, that's a lot of pain and bitterness you're carrying, dragon. Wanna get it off your chest by telling us about it? [Frown]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 20:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you two continue this argument somewhere more appropriate please ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 20:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah. Way to make use of the "Gratuitous reference to self-post" function, TFD! [Razz]

Soooo... how 'bout them Eagles?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 20:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh wow, that's a lot of pain and bitterness you're carrying, dragon. Wanna get it off your chest by telling us about it? [Frown]

What he said may be exaggerated a bit, but I've experienced much the same thing[1]. Of course it could be a love language difference issue, but thats another story.

[1] The "action/lack of action -> you don't love me" leap of logic, that is.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 22:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, mine was just a contrived example, intended to be something of a joke. See how the words get twisted? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 22:05      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Actually, mine was just a contrived example, intended to be something of a joke. See how the words get twisted? [Wink]

But I'm not a female, am I?

Unless the female members of the collective count?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 22:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by csk:
But I'm not a female, am I?
I don't believe so. I was referring to Rhonwyyn, actually, who may have taken my words to think I've had an utterly horribly life surrounded by women, or something like that.

Unless the female members of the collective count?
Well, if Rhonwyyn is a female member of the collective...oy...that'd be something else...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 22:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me go on record as saying that I am *NOT* CSK's other half. His better half, maybe... [Wink]

Umm, I was actually trying to make a joke, dragon, by recommending that you tell us about it, but I made a poor choice in emoticons. [Frown]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture