homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » The Incredibles!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Incredibles!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 05, 2004 23:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... was incredible! Well, at the very least, very enjoyable!

Nitro and I saw an early show today and we both really liked it. Lots of great scenes, gorgeous animation, and great characters. Pixar has another hit on their hands. More on the movie later maybe... I'm [tired] after our big day out. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 09:06      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was fantastic! The animation was amazing. Imagine...water that looks like water, wet hair that looks like wet hair, texture of the yarn in people's sweaters. And the story was really good, too. Plus as an added bonus the Star Wars Episode III trailer played before the show. [thumbsup]

Five out of five stars, two thumbs up! Go see this movie. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 09:40      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hrmmm SW ep3 trailer... now I have to have someone page me in after the trailer is done. =-) heh heh I might go see this movie tonight.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 06, 2004 10:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrrr.. we didn't get the Star Wars trailer where we were. [Mad] [Mad]

I was saving myself and didn't watch it on the Net too. [cry baby] but anyway, I watched it online when we returned home. It's a "teaser trailer" so not many spoilers in it. Oh yeah, except that big one... Anakin is Darth Vader!!!!! [Geek]

But yeah, ditto what PB said, Incredibles is great fun, go see it! For me it was one of the most successful portrayals of comic book characters and super powers, even more successful than live action ones like X-Men or Spiderman.

Note to self... Must pitch AY2K movie to Pixar. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 12:17      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Just sent it care of Paul Lasseter or Steve Jobs... email [email protected]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 13:00      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Just sent it care of Paul Lasseter or Steve Jobs... email [email protected]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 13:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Steve reads every one. [Big Grin]

Hey Snaggy: Should I start another petition? [Wink]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 16:59      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by: Snaggy
quote:
Note to self... Must pitch AY2K movie to Pixar.
So when is there going to be another AY2K? [Wink]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 23:43      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my life dream is to work at pixar. i loved the movie, but i think Nemo was better. more emotional and beautiful (both is stunning artwork and powerful story)

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 23:52      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
It was fantastic! The animation was amazing. Imagine...water that looks like water, wet hair that looks like wet hair, texture of the yarn in people's sweaters. And the story was really good, too. Plus as an added bonus the Star Wars Episode III trailer played before the show. [thumbsup]

Five out of five stars, two thumbs up! Go see this movie. [Big Grin]

Pixar was the first animation movie company to realistically simulate hair well (think Monsters Inc.-Sully), to do a proper simulation of water-(nemo), and now the best to mix the two, each being considered some of the top most difficult things to render. When that was propsed to the animation teams, they thought the producers were off their rocker. And what does dreamworks have? Sharktale, which by comparison isnt even close to the graphical effect of nemo. Next up (hoperfully after "cars")- something that shows some real looking skin instead of plastic looking overly sub surface scattered smooth junk.
</biased yet true art rant>

Hey, I can dream cant I?

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 08, 2004 05:53      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw The Incredibles this weekend, too. This movie rocks. It's friggin' brilliant. I haven't seen Nemo, so I can't compare it to that, but out of the other Pixar movies I've seen, the only one that even comes close, in terms of being a great story as well as a great piece of technical output, is Toy Story.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 09:27      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by californiarockr:
Next up (hoperfully after "cars")- something that shows some real looking skin instead of plastic looking overly sub surface scattered smooth junk.

Pixar is better off sticking to cartoony-looking people for the time being. They fit in with their cartoon worlds, and they don't risk getting stuck in the "uncanny valley".

You pretty much have to be dead-on if you're going to model people realistically. Otherwise, the audience gets creeped-out.

It's certainly within our technological know-how to make realistic bodies- we see them all the time in movies and TV shows. But if you walk through the mall, the store displays are usually not-too-realistic mannequins or posters of real live model people. Perfect-looking mannequins give people the heebie-jeebies, not a desire to spend money!

Square got impressively close with the Final Fantasy movie, and even better with the short film they did for The Animatrix.

But, that works for Square's dramatic plots. Pixar's plots are a bit more fantastical (er, the whole Gaia thing notwithstanding in FF...), so I think a cartoony look suits Pixar's works better.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 13:41      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the incredibles was pretty badass. its my favorite movie that pixar has put out so far. too bad disney still has their hooks in pixar, they could make some funny ass adult shit if they didn't have to answer disney.

fuckin disney. walt never wanted all this bullshit. then again, they did support the Anaheim chapter of the KKK, which was at one time the largest chapter on the west coast.

</shortdisneyrant>

it still pisses me off that whereever i go, i tell people i'm from anaheim, california, and the first thing they say is "YOU MUST LOVE DISNEYLAND!" or "YOU MUST GO TO DISNEYLAND ALOT!". and if it wasn't for disneyland, most of downtown anaheim wouldn't be so ghetto and full of tweaker motels.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 18:06      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pixar is getting away from Disney. The distribution contract expires after Cars. As far as I know they haven't found a new distributor yet.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 21:11      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from seeing it. Loved it too. The only thing I was sad to see was the fact they decided to make a PG rated film. They were doing so well at telling a great story and keeping it Rated G. While it was a great film it it may not be suited for younger children this time.

And not very excited about next years film "Cars" from what I saw in the teaser. But it is only a teaser...

EDIT: And speaking of kids movies being rated PG. Why is the SpongeBob SquarePants movie rated PG?

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 22:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought everyone knew: Spongebob is gay!
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 22:31      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
I thought everyone knew: Spongebob is gay!

So because he is happy they give it a PG rating? How queer. [Razz]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 11, 2004 12:55      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incredible! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] Liked it much more than Nemo. The combination of the comic book and James Bond satire was excellent.

Probably rated PG for the violence and the slight sexual innuendo in a couple of scenes.

R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 18:47      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the movie with my Dork Squad...and let me tell you. It's mostly guys (read: short attention spans) and there's me, the cynic who doesn't always like that which has been raved about.
I truly enjoyed that movie.
It was pretty much what I would have EXPECTED to see out of a movie that got that much hype. Worth it.
Plus, I started whimpering at the Star Wars trailer...well, we all did. Big group-hug whimper moan cling can you believe that moment.

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2004 11:56      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok finaly went and saw it last night. Bit the bullet and paid the $8 to see it. OMG I loved it for all of the reasons posted as of yet. I was supprised how long it took to get a star wars referance in there being a Pixar film and all. Usualy they almost start out with them. Anyway once they started they never stopped. Movie homages I saw included but not limited to

James Bond
Avengers
Star Wars
Spider Man
The Hulk
X-Men
Old News Reels
Many many others

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture