homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Hitchhiker's Guide Tertiary Phase ON CD!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hitchhiker's Guide Tertiary Phase ON CD!
dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 14:56      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's here! It's HERE!

3 CD set with extended scenes exclusively for CD!

My copy from amazon.co.uk arrived TODAY! (And Episode 5 only aired today, and 6 is next week!) MUAHAHAHAHA!

Review to follow later....

Posts: 32 | From: Chicago area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 05:03      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, review time. Warning: Spoilers will abound here! However, I will hold off on reviewing Disc 3 until AFTER episodes 5 and 6 appear on the BBC website (#5 shows up tomorrow, the 21st, and #6 shows up a week later, on the 28th).

First Impressions: It's a 3 CD set, with a 3 hour, 10 minute runtime. The set is in a standard thick CD package (the sort with front and back covers that both open up, and the whole thing is about an inch thick). The plastic case is further wrapped in a thin paper sleeve, which I found unusual as none of my other recent BBC Audio purchases (Douglas Adams at the BBC, Doctor Who at the BBC Vol. 2, etc) came with a wrapper like that. The paper wrapper reprints the front and back covers, but the sides make the package look a bit more book-like than like a CD double case.

The front cover has a closeup of a Krikkit robot swinging at a black ball, while in the background, two more Krikkit robots are descending from their spaceship (amazon.co.uk finally does have a large image of this front cover on their website). The back cover has a cropping of this artwork at the top, with the new BBC Audio logo. Part of the copy on the back cover, again, is excerpted on amazon.co.uk.

The enclosed booklet gives a full set of credits, and disc/track breakdowns. There are also two brief essays, covering a page each, by Bruce Hyman, Producer, and Dirk Maggs, Adapter/Director/Co-Producer. And finally a two page ad for the Primary Phase (Fits 1-6), the Secondary Phase (7-12) and the Collector's Edition (Fits 1-12, with two bonus discs). And of course the five BBC Audio books of the five volumes of the trilogy, read by the author, which can be ordered individually, or in a box set.

Now a word about the discs: Here's where spoilers pop up, so quit reading here if you want to be surprised....

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Basically there are extended scenes in each episode, compared to the way they aired on Radio 4, or indeed, on the Internet. For example, in Episode 1, there's a slightly longer monologue by Arthur talking to his trees as Wowbagger makes his landing. Also in Episode 1, Zaphod has a dialogue right after Trillian makes her escape (what's that, you ask, a dialogue? of course! two heads, remember?)

In Episode 2, Zem and Marvin have the conversation in the swamp about the speech Marvin gave to open a massive bridge, which is in the book, but not the radio episode as transmitted. In Episode 3, all of the Informational Illusion scenes are extended, with more details about the Wicket Gate, Krikkit, and the 'sentence' handed down by Judiciary Pag (again, more closely following the book than was possible in the 27 minute radio episodes). Episode 4 has a much longer conversation with Agrajag (DNA himself!).

Again, I'll cover episodes 5 and 6 after they show up on the Internet.

dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 20:54      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The final episode will be downloadable tomorrow. And I just thought I'd mention that according to Doctor Who Magazine (#349), there WILL be a DVD Audio release, with a bonus video documentary. No news about release dates or which regions will get the disc (most BBC Doctor Who releases have tended to be Regions 2+4 first, as was also the case with H2G2, and R1 came later).
dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2004 04:51      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DVD Audio update: Dirk Maggs stated in his online interview (See the official BBC Radio 4 Hitchhiker's site) that such a release will come AFTER the next eight episodes, which will be So Long, and Thanks for all the Fist and Mostly Harmless, adapted for radio.
R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 18:49      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got it. Along with all the versions of all the books ever created. I think. And books written about it. Wow...it's so lovely not having a life. Even better when your loved one is as much of a geek as you. Well...most days.

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture