homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Domino's Doublemelt (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Domino's Doublemelt
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 07:42      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've had delivery twice in 30 years of ordering pizzas. I prefer to be there when it comes from the oven, so I can rush it home while it's really hot. Still, most places here (Great Neck) deliver - I can't see why no one in Lake Grove will. They're not that rural.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 11:43      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I think I've had delivery twice in 30 years of ordering pizzas. I prefer to be there when it comes from the oven, so I can rush it home while it's really hot. Still, most places here (Great Neck) deliver - I can't see why no one in Lake Grove will. They're not that rural.

It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno! [Wink] Sorry. I couldn't resist. (For the non-Americans, DiGiorno is a line of frozen supermarket pizza. I can't comment on it's taste because I've never had it. Looks like thick crust, which I have to be in the mood for and rarely am.)

But Fluff, yeah, Lake Grove isn't that rural. That's exactly what I thought. If my ex-in-laws can get delivery in Dutchess County, which is rural, Lake Grove should be able to.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 12:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's different there, but the commercials here are, "It's not delivery, it's Delissio!"

"Franky Delissio? I think I saw him with your sister."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 14:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around here, there's an inverse relationship between delivery and pizza quality. None of the pizza places I'm willing to buy from deliver.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 17, 2004 19:07      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
's funny... none of the places I'd want to buy pizza from would want me as a customer. (heh)

...and I've seen similar commercials for three different brands: "It's not delivery, it's [insert brand name here]"
My favourite commercial was the one with a guy and a girl arguing over whether it was delivery or not, till the girl gives up and says its delivery. Cut to exterior shot of a cabin on a tiny island in the middle of a lake.

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2004 06:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried another place here in Ottawa last night. It's called Topper's. Apparently they're a Canadian chain. Pizza was OK... nothing special.

Damn it. Why can't I find GOOD pizza in this damned city?! [Razz]

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2004 07:45      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only good grocery store pizza is Giant Eagle's rising-crust line. But they're $5.99 apiece regular price, so they're not worth buying unless they go on sale. (If I want to spend more than $5 on a pizza, at that level of quality, I'll just get Little Caesar's instead. Cheaper and about the same quality, although LC's is inconsistent.)
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 18, 2004 10:05      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want the most unsettling toppings, the place is "La pointe des Amériques" (The Americas' Slice), in Quebec City. Last time I went, I wanted to try the rattling snake pizza, but they had no more. I had an alligator one instead. [evil] The rattling snake being a one-time special, I may never have a chance to try it again! [cry baby]

They don't have their menu available in English yet, so for those who read French, or don't mind Babelfish and the likes, Bon appétit! (pdf)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2004 13:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
If you want the most unsettling toppings, the place is "La pointe des Amériques" (The Americas' Slice), in Quebec City.

/me adds an entry to my "places to eat while travelling" file.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 05:55      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, the correct word is "rattlesnake". Can't say I've ever eaten one, though.
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 19, 2004 07:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
By the way, the correct word is "rattlesnake". Can't say I've ever eaten one, though.

Thanks, I knew it was something like that, but I didn't check my dictionary. But that was better than "snake with a bell," wasn't it? That would be the direct translation of "serpent à sonnette"... [crazy]

Just to continue steering the thread away from its original topic, what's the best/worst, and most surprising topping you had on a pizza? Alligator was good, by the way. Like most-if not all-reptilians, it is very tender with a delicate taste not far from chicken. Otherwise, I really like chicken with bbq sauce and leek. And luckily enough, I never had a pizza topping I couldn't stomach, but I believe Pizza Hut had (still have?) some dip sauce to go with their pizzas. I tried it, then put it away.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 07:55      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just to continue steering the thread away from its original topic, what's the best/worst, and most surprising topping you had on a pizza?
Doner kebab meat. It's like a coronary on a plate.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 07:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
Just to continue steering the thread away from its original topic, what's the best/worst, and most surprising topping you had on a pizza?
Doner kebab meat. It's like a coronary on a plate.
How about deep-frying the whole lot? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 08:08      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most unusual thing I ever had on a pizza was corn. Yes the yellow stuff.

I was in Korea and found out it was more popular than pepperoni.

Wasn't bad though.

edit: I finally saw the commercial for the pizza that started the thread. You know even on the T.V. it didn't look very good. The white slime just doesn't look right.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 08:39      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my parents visited last year my mom ordered a BLT (Bacon, lettuce & tomato) pizza, no tomato sacue it had Mayo instead. On another occasion she ordered a chicken pizza with Ranch dressing instead tomato sauce. Can't comment on how they tasted since I'm a vegetarian and did not try them, but they looked & smelled nasty!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 08:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I were in Sweden I went to a place that did rather nice v. thin pizzas ("Lille Husset", in Uppsala, IIRC )... except the locals had a habit of smearing coleslaw on them... which doesn't taste as bad as it sounds. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 11:02      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Salad. I didn't order it, but it just wigs me out. You eat salad on the side, not ON THE PIZZA! I'd also have to say pineapple. That just doesn't work for me.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 11:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now pineapple is one of my favourite toppings on a pizza.

Hawaiian pizza = yumm.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 13:29      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A place around here had Peanut Butter pizza. Yes, a pizza with peanut butter slathered on it. I could never bring myself to try it though. [blush]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 15:09      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back off topic:

Here's what my newly started Douglas Adam's book, The Long Dark Tea- Time of the Soul(absolutely hilarious book, might I add. I recommend it to everyone) has to say about pizza and pizza delivery:

"London was the place she liked living in most, apart of course, from the pizza problem, which drover her crazy. Why would no one deliver pizza? Why did no one understand that it was fundamental to the whole nature of pizza that it arrives at your front door in a hot cardboard box? That you slithered it out of greaseproof paper and ate it in folded slices in front of the TV? What was the fundamental flaw in the stupid, stuck-up, sluggardly English that they couldn't grasp this simple principal? For some odd reason it was the one frustration she could never learn simply to live with and accept, and about once a month or so she would get very depressed, phone a pizza restaurant, order the biggest, most lavish pizza she could describe--pizza with an extra pizza on it, essentially--and then, sweetly, ask them to deliver it.

'To what?'
'Deliver. Let me give you the address--'
'I don't understand. Aren't you going to come and pick it up?'
'No. Aren't you going to deliver? My address--'
'Er, we don't do that miss.'
'Don't do what?'
'Er, deliver.'
...."
etc.

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 16:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
what's the best/worst, and most surprising topping you had on a pizza?

Baked beans.

Not an experience I'm in a hurry to repeat.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 17:49      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Baked beans.

Not an experience I'm in a hurry to repeat.

What?! Baked beans on pizza is the food of the gods! Preferably with thick rashers of bacon and hugh mushrooms...

/me goes to make midnight pizza [Smile]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 05:53      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
a BLT (Bacon, lettuce & tomato) pizza, no tomato sacue it had Mayo instead.

Now that is purely disgusting! I'll take the rattlesnake instead.
Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 10:48      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
a BLT (Bacon, lettuce & tomato) pizza, no tomato sacue it had Mayo instead.

Now that is purely disgusting! I'll take the rattlesnake instead.
Actually, it's not bad. I was turned off by it until I tried it. It's a California Pizza Kitchen specialty. They have some great combinations to try. They will also allow you to reorder if you try something new and don't like it. Menu Here

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 18:30      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss my dining common's pizza. They served a great garlic mashed potato pizza (no sauce, crust covered with GMPs and some sort of cheese); the nacho pizza (seasoned ground beef, peppers, tomato pieces, and orange cheese) was good too. The margherita pizza was a bit strange, but the BLT pizza more than made up for it with its pieces of bacon, orange cheese and small tomato pieces--thankfully no lettuce, 'though I always picked off the tomato pieces.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture