homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Going Postal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going Postal
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2004 20:55      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got Terry Pratchett's new book today, Going Postal.

Just incredible and fun - I don't know how Pratchett combines the stuff he does, but this book mixes some recognizable tech stuff along with great characters and some wicked plot twists. Definitely a GNU of a different color.

I have a strong suspicion Pratchett has read some Leslie Charteris along the way....

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2004 22:50      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going Postal is certainly one of the best Discworld books. I love the exploration of the culture surrounding Golems as well as Moist's character interactcing with Gilt's.

The klacks is probably as close as we'll get to the internet on the Disc, too. I loved the hinting that the klacks could be read just by listening to them. [Smile]

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2004 02:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, I hate it when Pratchett books come out because then I have to spend money I don't have [Wink] Haven't read Going Postal yet - I like to buy them all in paperback so I have the complete set all looking nice and regular (its also slightly cheaper) but it sounds like it's a good one.

Don't suppose any of you have read the two Science of Discworld books? They are two of my favourite books ever, incredibly readable science interspersed with Pratchett's fantasy, and take pride of place on my "science" bookcase with all my textbooks (plus some washing up and dirty clothes but I'll go sort that now [Wink] ) It just made me think about them with you mentioning the clacks - where Hex cracks into the clacks system to get free academic "web" access for the UU [Big Grin]

/me stops Pratchett geeking and goes back to work...

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture