homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Sky Cap.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sky Cap.
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2004 23:52      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so I actualy realy liked this movie. Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow was a fun movie to watch. (Some of my friends say it was terrible) Those who I have seen the movie with that don't like the movie dislike it for the verry reasons I loved this movie

• Lots of CGI and it looked "comicish" wich makes sense as it is suposed to be a comic style movie.
  • The Plot was thin, but then again most single epesodes of a comic book are not that thick in plot, and it was easy to follow. Small twists and turns, but predictable and fun.
  • Characters were fun, a little vague at the begining, but they fill out by the end of the movie.
  • The ending is sudden, and I thought it was funny. Canned humor, but funny.
  • A highly nostalgic feel
  • Shot in low color, but it looks cool and noire in a way.

Anyway I enjoyed the movie. I don't think it is a great piece of cinematography that will be in text books for film makers, but it was fun. I would say go see this movie soon if you love comic style movies, or wait till it hits the theaters if you are an action/adventure buff.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 06:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That movie I think has seen more positive reviews from more critics than I've ever seen before in my life -- which scares me. More often than not, I'm the opposite of critics. If they say a movie sucks, I'm gonna love it. Some of my favourite movies got beaten down BAD by critics. Baseketball, Road Trip, etc.

I'll probably end up going to see this myself just for the sake of being able to see how off I was from the critics...

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 27, 2004 06:31      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed Sky Captain too.

It's like a movie version of the old action serials like Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, or Superman. It pays homage to the action serials and comic books like Kill Bill did to Kung Fu, blaxploitation, and spaghetti westerns. It's played straight-up and honestly- the movie is not one big inside joke.

If you can suspend your disbelief for a while (and Sky Captain avoids trying to explain the how of things, they just are), this is worth seeing on a big screen!

(so you know where I'm coming from, the very first DVD I bought for myself was Fritz Lang's Metropolis)

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 27, 2004 07:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen it yet, but I have to share this: the first time I saw the preview, I wondered what that movie was, because they used the very recognizable Stargate theme. Could it be? A new Stargate movie, and all those funky planes were from an alien planet? Talk about confusing the audience!

(On the other hand, that's a good way to be sure at least some people will notice!)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 12:10      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Sky Captain, it certaily was different. A fun popcorn movie. It pays homage to old serials (including the thin plot and mediocre acting [Wink] )

Its worth it just to catch all the movie references (King Kong, Godzilla, War of the Worlds) There is even a 1138 in it!

Critically, SC is going good but not great (rottentomatoes has it at 74% positive compared to 94% for Hero or 93% for Spider-Man 2)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 12:11      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forgot to mention: It is common for movies to use some "placeholder" music in thier trailers - because the music hasn't been composed for it yet. Sp the trailer makers try to find musc from the same genre / feeliing.

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Macabus
Newbie Larva
Member # 2984

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted September 27, 2004 20:54      Profile for Macabus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved this movie. It's ingenious, dang good quality, and rated PG. I wish all movies were like this one. The plot moves quickly, but just fast enough for you to get what's going on. It's all gorgeously bluescreened-and I actually forgot half way through the movie(must have been the renderman). It is a film that pushes the envelope of filmmaking one step further-now, the only limit to what you can create is your imaginiation. where else can you have miniature elephants next to zeppelins? Not on any sound stage I know of. It's my new favorite movie-and it rocks.

The score used in the trailer isn't Stargate. It's sort of similar, but the tune is different and it was sort of written for the movie. Sorry, not stargate.

Posts: 5 | From: Right now, not so far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 21:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is great Macabus......Do us all a favour, if you plan on sticking around, pick another av m'kay?

My collective personalities have grown quite fond of a certian GC 'elder' using that av.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 04:37      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
N9IWP: I knew that already. But It was kinda strage to use the _theme_ of a popular serie for a trailer, instead of a lesser known piece of music, or a very well known, overused one. So for a moment I thought it was a new Stargate movie, that's all.

Macabus: believe me, it was the theme from Stargate SG-1. I have heard it enough to recognize it.

On a remotely related note, pardon the pun: did you know that Disney used the "Aquarium" from Saint-SaŽns for the opening sequence in "Beauty and the Beast?" Or more exactly they used the theme from it, barely modified it, and never metioned the original composer. (At least on the CD I have, I have never taken the time to check the credits from the movie - but who does now?) Even if some music is in the public domain, this is wrong. The original composer should always be clearly identified.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture