homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Eddi Reader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eddi Reader
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 10:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of the Brighton Festival there was a performance by Eddi Reader, which I attended. Some of you may remember her as the bespectacled singer with a band called Fairground Attraction when some 15 or so years ago they had a no. 1 hit in the UK with the song "(It's Got To Be) Perfect". These days she is more a part of the traditional music scene, and she came to Brighton to sing songs from her latest CD and share her enthusiasm for Robert Burns. It was a great concert.

First the camera does her no favours whatsoever. In person she is attractive with an engaging off beat personality. She has a strong Glaswegian accent, and told the stories that lie behind the songs entertainingly and well. But most importantly she sang these songs beautifully, and with an emotional directness that had me weeping more than once. She was supported by two musicians, Boo Hewerdine and John McCusker who individually were well worth the price of admission in their own right.

For material written more than 200 years ago, Burns is very contemporary. You can hear perhaps unconscious echoes of his work in things as diverse as Ben E King's "Stand By Me" and early Dylan, and he was like a rock star of his age, with tremendous personal charisma and sexual magnetism, and died young too. His songs though simple and direct on the surface, have great depth. Check out the samples on her site. The famous "My love is like a red red rose" is not just a declaration of love, it is also about the sorrow of parting, and you feel that despite what he says, he does not think he will see her again. The verses in Auld Lang Syne broaden this song out from a celebration of enduring friendship to encompass a gentle mourning the loss of childhood and innocence.

At the end of the show, she thanked us "for getting me out of the house". If she appears anywhere near any of you, get out of your house and go and see her. She is a lovely singer.

I bought the CD too. It's good.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 03:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

For material written more than 200 years ago, Burns is very contemporary.

I'm always reminded of Eddie Izzard when I think of Burns - "The best laid plans of mice and men, eh, Robert? Exactly what mice plans are you talking about? Plans to steal cheese?" Mind you, Burns' night is a pretty good legacy - Ceilidhs are great places to meet chicks and get smashed on whisky.

Yeah, Eddie Reader's pretty good - I've seen her on the telly doing one or two hogmanay shows.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 06:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is this 'Robert Burns' of whom you speak?

Och, ye mean Rabbie !

A man well ahead of his time,
would you have guessed that this address to a mouse
quote:

I'm truly sorry Man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
An' fellow-mortal

was written nearly 2 centuries before the founding of Greenpeace ?

Sadly, while a great poet, he was no prophet when he wrote
quote:

For a' that, an' a' that,
It's coming yet for a' that,
That Man to Man, the world o'er,
Shall brothers be for a' that.

trivia note: Rabbie is reputed to be the most statued non-religious figure in history. While those who make this claim are careful to avoid hard numbers, it may well be true.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 15, 2004 06:21      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot to mention his much lesser known brother, Rug Burns. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 17, 2004 03:04      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Fairground Attraction - (one of) the soundtrack(s) to my late-teenage years of angst! [Smile]

A fair chunk of their material always was traditional tunes anyway, and it's good to hear she's still making a living from them. I'll look out for the CD!

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture