homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
NicoleTheStrange
Newbie Larva
Member # 2625

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 02, 2004 16:05      Profile for NicoleTheStrange   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who here has seen this?

I must say it was most excellent.

--------------------
"The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads. It's not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; it's correctly comprehending what we see." -Transmetropolitan

Posts: 6 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 20:57      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me! And I agree, it was fabulous. Probably one of the best movies I've seen in recent years. Are you a Charlie Kaufman fan, Nicole?

And I must say, it was nice seeing Jim Carrey *act* for a change instead of flailing about onscreen. I wasn't sure he had it in him...

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2004 22:53      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch the Truman show, and you'll see it. Not a whole lot, but it's there.

And I agree, it was excellent.

And I feel sad that there are people who are skipping it to see Hellboy instead, but I feel relatively certain that it would be wasted on them.

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 10:42      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ESOTSM was ineed an excellent film. Once again Jim Carey really showed off his acting chops in playing a introverted, understated guy on the outside but a person with great passion living inside himself that we get to see from his point of view. The timing setup of the film was a lot of fun. I thought the trailers were a little misleading in one aspect, though. The Lacuna group is a very significant part of the story that is left by the wayside in the trailer. No big deal, really, but there's more to the movie than Jim Carey and Kate Winslet's characters.

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 12:49      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slurpy:

And I feel sad that there are people who are skipping it to see Hellboy instead, but I feel relatively certain that it would be wasted on them.

Hey now, some of us don't want our motion-picture experience to be rich and moving. [Razz] It's all about vapid entertainment, big explosions, and actors under so much makeup you'd never recognize 'em!

So there!

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smurf Boy
Geek Larva
Member # 2537

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 21:17      Profile for Smurf Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
quote:

Hey now, some of us don't want our motion-picture experience to be rich and moving. [Razz] It's all about vapid entertainment, big explosions, and actors under so much makeup you'd never recognize 'em!

So there!

Don't forget about the giant underground parties with chicks wearing see-through clothing jumping up and down! [Razz]
Posts: 26 | From: The Land of Heat | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smurf Boy
Geek Larva
Member # 2537

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 21:24      Profile for Smurf Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a screening of ESOTSM a couple of weeks ago hoping to see Jim Carrey truly act in a good movie. As the fellows above me have said, he definitely exceeded my expectations. Hopefully more movies will be made in the future that draw from his (now) proven acting abilities.

--------------------
I didn't spend all that time playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage.

Posts: 26 | From: The Land of Heat | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 21:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Carrey can definitely act, given the chance (Truman Show, Simon Birch to a small extent). He's a bit like Robin Williams. If carefully managed, both are capable of some excellent acting. If not, you get "Patch Adams" and "Ace Ventura".

Come to think of it, add Rowan Atkinson to that list of traditionally comedic actors who are versatile enough to do other things.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 21:35      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smurf Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
quote:

So there!

Don't forget about the giant underground parties with chicks wearing see-through clothing jumping up and down! [Razz]
Of course. Mind you, it was during that scene where I wished that they had swapped the casting around for Trinity and Persephone. It's never a good thing when you can't easily tell which one's Neo and which one's Trinity during a sex scene.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 04:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's not because it might have meant Monica Bellucci getting her norks out, then? [Wink]
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 04:20      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh! the eternal sunshine of Spungo's spotless mind! [Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 05:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
So it's not because it might have meant Monica Bellucci getting her norks out, then? [Wink]

No, just to save confusing the viewers (though I wouldn't have objected if it was Monica in the slow-mo-twist sequence [Wink] . Shame their casting decision was irreversible.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 03:30      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Shame their casting decision was irreversible.

Ha ha - that be a joke, yes? Arf. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 05:59      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen it (but it's early days yet)...

However, since I'm in "movie" mode - not to mention an advanced state of refreshment - may I recommend "Girl with a Pearl Earring" (no, not Pearl Necklace, smut-heads) - I only caught up with it last week and would recommend it to one and all...

[Cool]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 07:21      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to concur with Hey-U, really good movie. Saw 'Eternal Sunshine' last night and that was brill too.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2004 06:04      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was great, no doubt Jim Carey's best. Really liked it.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 06, 2004 02:31      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoah!

SUPERB film!!

Thanks for mentioning it here, everyone, as it might otherwise have passed me by (have been v. poor at getting out to see good cinema lately). I thought it was a beautifully observed study on what love is and why we continue to do it. Highly recommended!

Oh and if you want a snappy summary, call it a fluffy Memento [Smile]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted May 06, 2004 10:51      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not playing in the theatres around here anymore, and I missed it [Frown]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2004 23:05      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah definitely a good flick, we had to drive up to the mainland (mumbles and grumbles about galveston) to see it but I think its one I'll probably buy when it hits DVD. Its kinda creepy at times with the erased faces and things during the memory wipe. They really did a good job at representing it all.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2004 12:04      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time i checked rotten tommatoes, it had something like a 96%.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture