homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Favorite Movie Geek (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Favorite Movie Geek
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 07:30      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter movies. (Yes, yes, I'll eventually get around to reading the books....)
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 08:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Of course, any list of best geeks must include that time-travelling uber-geek The Doctor.

/me needs a sonic screwdriver.

heh, i know a (minor) incarnation of the doctor... this guy is my physics tutor at college [Big Grin] . unfortunatly his main site's down at the moment so you can't download his videos (some of which aren't that shoddy), but he's in the middle of making a new one which should be out soon. you should hear some of the stories he's got from filming
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 09:16      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumina Manson:
She dressed like a bloody polygamist in that movie! She was so mousey...

You mean she accessorized with spouses?

-- If the plural of 'mouse' is 'mice', L.S.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 09:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Rachael Leigh Cook in AntiTrust?  -

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 11:14      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Punk Rawk Poet:
Gweneth Paltrow as Margot Tennenbaum. Moody theater geeks are the best. And for TFD there is some girl on girl action.

I see your Margot.
And Raise you one Dudley

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lithandro
Geek
Member # 2407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 12:50      Profile for Lithandro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
How about Rachael Leigh Cook in AntiTrust?  -

With extra credit for playing an art geek in She's All That.

--------------------
But why is the rum gone?

Posts: 106 | From: Pontefract, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 17:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colin Friels as Malcolm in 'Malcolm'

For the benefit of non-aussies who may not have seen it, this is a very funny movie about a painfully shy mechanical genius who works for the tramways, until he gets the sack for building his own tram out of spare parts. He then gets led astray by an ex-con, and uses his mechanical genius to embark on a life of crime, committing some very funny robberies.

A film no geek should miss.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 17:49      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cool robots from Mystery Science Theatre (the best reason to have Sci Fi channel in the UK), no B movie is safe from their barbed comments!
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 19:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Colin Friels as Malcolm in 'Malcolm'

For the benefit of non-aussies who may not have seen it, this is a very funny movie about a painfully shy mechanical genius who works for the tramways, until he gets the sack for building his own tram out of spare parts. He then gets led astray by an ex-con, and uses his mechanical genius to embark on a life of crime, committing some very funny robberies.

A film no geek should miss.

Well, bugger me, I remember that now! That's the one where the ex-con's girlfriend is walking around in something comparatively skimpy in Malcolm's presence, the ex-con tells her to put something more on, so she then goes to the opposite extreme with a big fluffy jumper, shapeless jeans, etc. Funny the things you remember.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Icypher
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2600

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 21:47      Profile for Icypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta include Samantha Carter from SG-1.

Also:

Dr. Jack Horkheimer from PBS.
Eddie from Jurasic Park: The Lost World.
Thomas Dolby.
Don't know their names, but the father-daughter team of the Godzilla Detection Network from Godzilla 2K.

Posts: 3 | From: Greenwood, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Icypher
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2600

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2004 21:56      Profile for Icypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap!!!!!!

Almost forgot the uber-geek of all time:

MacGyver!!!!

Posts: 3 | From: Greenwood, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 00:58      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You mean she accessorized with spouses?
-- If the plural of 'mouse' is 'mice', L.S.

LOL, SupportGoddess, I meant that she dressed really chaste in that movie, like those polygamist in Colorado River. Everything covered, ankle socks with a dress, ewww! C'mon! The best of the worst of the late 80's/early 90's. [cry baby] I stand by my mousey look comment. [Smile]

--My foot's asleep, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 06:50      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
The Lone Gunmen, from the X-Files - especially Byers. They rock!

psht, langley was my favorite. in a show of my poorest taste, i loved the lone gunmen's spinoff show.

most of the cast of freaks and geeks was entirely too awesome, but my favorite member of that cast was the their D&D game master, with such choice quotes as, "every night's a makeout party with judith." [Big Grin]

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 07:17      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumina Manson:
I meant that she dressed really chaste in that movie, like those polygamist in Colorado River. Everything covered, ankle socks with a dress, ewww!

Can someone translate this into English for me? What's the connection between someone with multiple spouses, and chastity? I mean... polygamy and chastity are literal opposites, aren't they?

And what does either one of them have to do with clothing?

And what's Colorado River? If I google for it, I just get... the actual river by that name. Even if I put "Colorado River movie", I still get nothing enlightening.

--Dazed and confused, G.W.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 10:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's the Colorado River which used to run to the Gulf of Mexico but doesn't because of all the damming and draining for irrigation, but I associate that more with hysterical news headlines than chaste polygamists.

Maybe she meant Colorado City. That's over on the Utah border. Lots of very fundamentalist Mormoms over there. More Mormom than their counterparts in Utah even.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 23, 2004 14:35      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I believe the reference is to the Colorado City polygamist communities.
Very strange indeed.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 01:25      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bad. Thanks for the linky, MTB Babe!
It's Colorodo City. I guess my mind was on Laughlin. Those girls dress really chaste but they're married to one guy. Strange, no? Yes!

--What?, C.P.

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 6 posted March 24, 2004 23:57      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeks before their times.....old movies

The movie "A Touch Of Evil" 1958
Crime/Film Noir/Thriller

Evil Geek [evil] ...Capt Hank Quinlan played by Orson Welles...and he had neat geek toys for his times.

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 14:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q

(and I'm not talking about that annoying git in Star Trek TNG)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture