homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » has your mind been blown lately? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: has your mind been blown lately?
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2004 23:58      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I haven't read The DaVinci Code, I have been reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, which is kind of about the same thing, I guess -- signal vs. noise, codes, and crypto. I find it just this side of completely mind-blowing: books like that make me really wish I was better at math.

I haven't yet read any of the Baroque Cycle, mainly because I like his sci-fi, so I'm kind of leery about a different genre...although Cryptonomicon isn't really sci-fi, and I like it, so maybe I'll give 'em a chance later. Once they come out in paperback, and a poor geek like me can afford them... [Smile]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2004 06:17      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cryptonomicon was really good! Try Quicksilver next, it's really good too!
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2004 06:12      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a copy of Quicksilver from the library; haven't started it yet. It's next.

I don't think this one's likely to be published in paperback any time soon. It's physically enormous.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2004 12:40      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
I don't think this one's likely to be published in paperback any time soon. It's physically enormous.

So was Cryptonomicon, which is why it took me so long to get around to reading it -- I admit, I was intimidated by the size. [Big Grin]

However, I did find the slightly more portable, 10 lb. trade paperback version, so I'm hoping Quicksilver will be published like that soon. I can wait -- I've got a few other things on my reading list I need to get around to, and summer is not the best time to read intellectually challenging stories. For me, at least.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture