homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » An entirely under-used potential topic!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An entirely under-used potential topic!
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 06:41      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women are confusing!

I don't say this as a mean statement. It is merely an observation. The few times I have talked about this with anyone, the statement has been made "Well, men are confusing too."

I can accept this. But, I have to say it must be a matter of perspective.

For instance, they say that a man enters a relationship looking for affection right away to see if the emotional attachment is worth it. Women tend toward the instinct to withhold affection until they are already certain they want the emotional attachment. Does that make any sense?

I don't know. Honestly, this has been driving me absolutely bananna-sandwich for weeks.

Of course, it's not necessarily just the confusing opposite gender that has been running the wheels in my gerbil cage. It's the idea of relationships in general.

Consider - In the age we live in, we can communicate readily with people all over the world. We're doing it right now!

But, what is the affect of that on the social structure on an individual level? As in, meeting people in person, socializing. I don't know. It could just be me.

I'm socially inept -_-'

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 10:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ neotatsu __ I have long held the belief that men and women do not speak the same language. The words sound the same but do not have the same meaning.

Troublesome words

Maybe
Later
We'll See
After you take a shower.

Men read something different from these words than women do, I am not trying to be sexist here just pointing out that at first glance these words may mean something entirely different to each gender.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 05, 2008 11:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
_____________________ neotatsu __ I have long held the belief that men and women do not speak the same language. The words sound the same but do not have the same meaning.

Troublesome words

Maybe
Later
We'll See
After you take a shower.

At the risk of being expelled from the sisterhood, here are the translations:

Maybe: I pretty much made my idea already, but don't feel like being straightforward. Could be "maybe" - yes and I want to tease you, or "maybe" - no but I don't want to argue about it just now.

Later: I don't feel like it for now, and may never. In any case, don't bother me about it.

We'll see: My mind is not set, but don't bother me about it. I'll tell you when I reach a decision. (But you can try corruption, as long as you don't say it is.)

After you take a shower: Gah! I'm not talking to you now! And better do something to make up for exposing me to that much nastiness!

Also note: variations of those translations are possible depending on the tone used - a women can convey even more information by her intonation than with the words themselves. Beware! [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 12:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't resist adding the man's version...

Maybe:
I haven't decided. Now is the time for you to tell me what choice you'd prefer that I made and then shut up and let me decide.

Later:
Ask again after I'm finished with what I'm currently doing, but before I start something else.

We'll See:
I'm not making this decision right now. If you push for me to do so, I will choose whichever option will piss you off the most.

After you take a shower:
I'm probably going to say no, but I'd like to see you naked one more time before you stop talking to me for a week.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 12:47      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, this is getting good guys!!!

In my perfect world...

Maybe- Depends on how well you can persuade me:)

Later- Depends on how much sweet talk you do:)

We'll see- Depends on how cute you look at the time:)

After the shower- Just meet me in the bedroom, we'll discuss it:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 12:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very important area to explore, if we are ever going to understand each other better. So I would like to suggest refinements to three of GrumpySteen's male translations:

1) Maybe = No!
2) Later = Never!
3) We'll see = It's still no!

Trouble is, most of us fellas can't be bothered with the confrontation caused by giving the real meaning of 'Maybe', 'Later' and 'We'll see' - so we just make some non-committal noises that our SOs can interpret how they wish. And after all, we don't want to risk withdrawal of conjugals now, do we chaps? [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 05, 2008 13:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Maybe- Depends on how well you can persuade me:)

Later- Depends on how much sweet talk you do:)

We'll see- Depends on how cute you look at the time:)

After the shower- Just meet me in the bedroom, we'll discuss it:)

Come on, gg - this is the "infatuated woman [hearts] " version. You should really warn the boys that it only lasts for so long, or they'll be all confused again. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 13:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe = buzz off
Later = Later...on my time scale. [evil]
We'll see = STFU and go away
After you take a shower = you stink!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 13:23      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Ok, Stereo,

Maybe that was my "only been dating you a few months version"

So, as not to confuse the guys... What Zanthine said!

Except if he's really super duper cute, then I just can't resist [hearts]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2008 21:58      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very informative ladies, thank you!

And, Steen... That's very amazingly accurate. It's good to know at least *someone* knows what those words are supposed to mean.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2008 22:49      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the Mom-speaking-to-child interpretation:

Maybe - I want to say "no", but I don't want you to be upset right here/now. I might change my mind if you're good.

Later - I'm hoping you'll forget before I have to follow through.

We'll See - Let me think about it/talk to your dad first

After you take a shower - This is a quid pro quo situation. Do something I want you to do and then I'll do something you want me to do.

Come to think of it, that's pretty close to what it means when you're a woman talking to a man too. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2008 09:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or:
"Do you like This?" (It could be anything, food, a TV show, whatever)

Real Meaning:
"I hate this, and I want you to hate it too."

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2008 10:34      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're on the topic, ladies -- what does "Look, leave me alone or I'll call the police!" mean? Is it similar to "Oh god, no! Please -- stop it! Ow, my head! Arggghhh!" or maybe "Oh sweet Jesus, why are you doing this?" or perhaps "Someone please help me! Grrhhhh... *gurgle*... awwwwwgghhhgjggfoaiugyp9v8!!!... please stop -- I don't wanna die!... *gurgle* erghjjhfjhfh... owwwww... help!... *thud*" ??? [Confused]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2008 08:55      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neotatsu is correct in saying "it must be a matter of perspective." And I have to say, I am really impressed by Stereo's, GrumpySteen's, and PB's takes on MoMan's "troublesome words". You guys did a great job of clarifying the nuances of each different perspective. [Smile]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2008 15:19      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Neo... really good to see you back here man!

Great post too!

I think the others have covered most of the interpretations... but of course I will add my own (btw in this post Hers = what she means, His = What he means... actually there is a good gag there in what A says vs what B hearslll)

Maybe
Hers = No, or at the very best certainly not in the near future
His = not right now... but ask in an hour or after you/I have showered

We'll see
Hers = buzz off creep/forget it for today at the least
His = I am not really interested... but if you throw me an incentive I might change my mind

Later
Hers = not a chance today/if ever
His = I am sort of busy atm - ask me in an hour

After you take a shower
Hers = You stink right now and in an hour (after you shower) I/you may have changed our minds
His = OMG! You need a shower REALLY bad! I'm off... /oh wow you are turning me on... can I join you in there ...
(Guys will make a lot of allowances if it means "chick action" even more for hot chick action...)
Actually a lot of guys have a bit of a thing for freshly sweaty girls... and or the shower games that may follow... (maybe girls are the same - I don't know..)

OK I will see if others post the What she says/what he hears answers before adding mine [Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 00:44      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it occurs to me I never put in my $0.02 on themoman's list, so here goes -

Maybe - Maybe. As in, I dunno, lemmee think about it, or "we'll see". Also read as "I'm not prepared to make a decision on that yet". Important to note - I'm very open to influence on the subject if this was my answer. [Wink] [Wink] *nudge nudge* "Say no more, say no more; if ya know what I mean"

Later - Later. Some future time. Probably best to remind me as soon as I'm done with what I'm doing, but before I start doing something else (Yeh, steen said it first, but it's the truth.)

We'll See - I don't know, or I'll find out the same time you do. I probably don't wanna talk about it just now.

After you take a shower. - Probably my way of saying "hurry up so we can go". Depending on context, of course; it may also mean I'm open to the suggestion of *sharing* said shower about 2 minutes after you get yer tush in.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2008 01:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He Says - He means
Maybe   -  maybe
Later   -  later
We'll See   -  We'll see.
After you take a shower.   -  Not Applicable, no man has ever said this.

She Says - She means
Maybe   -  No, or yes, (whichever he doesn't want) or You don't love me anymore!
Later   -  When hell freezes over, or as soon as I finish doing my hair, or next Tuesday at 1:48 pm exactly, and if you're 30 seconds late there'll be hell to pay.
We'll See   -  Yes, but I'm going to make you beg for it, or I saw how you looked at that waitress, and now I'm going to make you wish you'd never been born!
After you take a shower.   -  After you take a shower I'll be asleep, don't even think about waking me.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture