homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » Tips for snagging a girl (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Tips for snagging a girl
chicgeek
Geek
Member # 1556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 02:43      Profile for chicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know finding a significant other -- or even an insignificant other for that matter -- is difficult. (I'm still looking for a guy, myself!)

But I do have one tip for any guys looking for ways to meet girls who aren't skanks or ditzes: If you have any rhythm whatsoever, take ballroom dancing lessons.

As a woman, I can say it's extremely difficult to find a straight guy who knows, or even has the will to learn, ballroom dance. And it's a [email protected] shame.

There's not a single woman I know who didn't swoon over Richard Gere in "Shall We Dance". And yet, so many straight guys who complain about not being able to meet a girl refuse to take ballroom dancing lessons.

Don't you guys get it?!? Women, as much as we have changed and evolved into our independent selves, still want chivalry from our men. We don't want pimps, we want gentlemen! Ballroom dance signifies something that has become lost on so many younger generations. Ballroom dance signifies the kind of old-world charm and sophistication that makes even the most brazen or broads weak in the knees!

We women do so much for you guys: We pluck, shave, wax, primp, tone, lift, minimize and maximize strategic parts of our bodies to please you! The least you could do for us is to learn how to dance.

Posts: 235 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 03:02      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I have a problem of tripping over dust mites lol. I think dancing would just embarace me. I am the biggest clutz in the world.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 03:35      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you definitely have a point, cg, but, personally, I'd find it a bit of a turn off if a guy was an avid ballroom dancer. Likewise, old world charm and romantic gentlemanliness do little for me, largely because it seems quite patronising, and doesn't put both people in the relationship on equal footing. I'm not trying to come across as negatively uber-feminist, here... it's just less sexy to me to be treated like I'm made of porcelain.

Just my twopenneth, of course. [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 03:57      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it for half a year or so, but found that my complete and utter lack of co-ordination couldn't be overcome [ohwell]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 04:11            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely by definition, everyone at this forum is to be presumed to have bad co-ordination ;) If we were any better, we'd be jocks and out playing sports... (and it's not just body control -- and mine's terrible -- but a very reliable maintenance of rhythm)

We women do so much for you guys: We pluck, shave, wax, primp, tone, lift, minimize and maximize strategic parts of our bodies to please you! The least you could do for us is to learn how to dance.

This is predicated on the presumption that all men expect the above of all women, which I don't believe is true for a minute. Plucking out hairs for me would be pointless masochism and I'd simply laugh at you for inflicting unnecessary pain on yourself. Heck, if you're not sexually active (and not everyone agrees with sex before marriage or until a relationship is at least stable) some more items on that list get thrown out, since we're not going to see you naked anyway.

Something that is sorely omitted from that list is exercise and sharpening of the mind, which is so much more valuable, and intellect (and genuine technical prowess ;) is a serious turn on for me.

But anyhow ...

IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 08:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
I think you definitely have a point, cg, but, personally, I'd find it a bit of a turn off if a guy was an avid ballroom dancer.

i.e. gay [Big Grin] I think it would be cool to know how to Tango and some of the South American type dances.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 09:52      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to ballroom dance, and I would probably laugh off the idea of going ballroom dancing on a date. (Frankly, the time I would've spent learning to sweet around the dance floor was spent on things in which I'm far more interested...like reading books, writing code, and making music.)

Some women don't want a stereotypical gentleman, they want a rock star who'll roll out on late-night urban adventures with them. Some suspiciously self-referential women might even prefer a man who can hold his own in a circle pit to one who can do a perfect pirouette.

(Amazingly, there are also some women out there who don't pluck, wax, primp or tone...and there are women out there who take care of their bodies for themselves, not for the sake of landing a husband.)

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 11:07      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In defense of ballroom dancing:

Modern dancing styles typically preclude contact between partners except for simulated humping. I am uncomfortable grinding against a girl I've just met, but putting my hand on her waist is certainly something I wouldn't mind. There is a tremendous amount of communication that takes place between dance partners. Sometimes the sense of intimacy that arises from dancing with a girl is very heady. I, myself, do not ballroom dance, but I have been known to bar-room swing. The two have in common being allowed to touch one another without rubbing against any legs. (The leg-humping is reserved for the second date.)

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 11:14      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chicgeek:
If you have any rhythm whatsoever, take ballroom dancing lessons.

And if we don't have rhythm?
Posts: 33 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 12:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by atayarani:
quote:
Originally posted by chicgeek:
If you have any rhythm whatsoever, take ballroom dancing lessons.

And if we don't have rhythm?
Then you'd better not be Catholic ! [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 12, 2007 12:27      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
(...) Likewise, old world charm and romantic gentlemanliness do little for me, largely because it seems quite patronising, and doesn't put both people in the relationship on equal footing. (...)

My dance teacher had us repeat this exchange more than a few times:

quote:
Teacher: Who's leading?
Men: The man!
Women: On the dance floor only!

Chicgeek, I'm with you. (There's not enough single men in my class, and most of them are much older than me.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 12:56      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I never tried to dance much, i just know how to dance those very very slow love songs.lol
But about the gentlemen thing, i have to admit i am very polite and romantic with girls and because of that i got a few rejections, but i won't change my way with girls, there's got to be a least one girl who will like it and that's the one i want. [Wink]

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 13:25      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reedius:
i have to admit i am very polite and romantic with girls and because of that i got a few rejections

How old are you?

One of my better friends is in his late 30s now. He's a large, ponytailed, leather jacketed nightclub bouncer. He also has a very old-fashioned set of manners regarding women; opening car doors and standing when a lady enters the room come to mind. Not just women he's interested in sleeping with; every woman is treated like the Duchess of York when he's around.

My friend is never at a loss for women to talk to. Women see him lighting a ladyfriend's cigarette and they're impressed, and come up and chat with him. He's always dating someone fantastic, and his relationships last a long time before, usually, ending civilly.

Take a hint from him. It might not reap you the big pimpin' rewards right now, but that sort of thing stands out, and further down the line, women will remember you as the incredibly respectful, well-mannered man that you are. [Razz]

Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 13:52      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sixteen.lol
I'm not large, i don't have a ponytail and i don't look good with a leather jacket(at least for now) but i'm glad there are wemen who like well-mannered guys.
In my city girls feel more atracted to money and a metrosexual look than a gentleman. [Geek]

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 14:06      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite possibly, but I'll guess that what they want isn't as much metrosexual as neat, clean, well-dressed, and well-mannered. That's probably how they see themselves - perhaps trendy clothing or personal style is of great importance to them.

All reasonable people want to feel important and special. Everyone wants respect. The style of manners you use is up to you. I'd avoid anything overly pretentious since it will feel insincere.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 14:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and then there are some girls who just about bristle at the prospect of having a nicety shown to them. *sigh*

Who said chivalry is dead? A bunch of women, that's who...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 14:11      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reedius:
I'm sixteen.lol
I'm not large, i don't have a ponytail and i don't look good with a leather jacket(at least for now) but i'm glad there are wemen who like well-mannered guys.

That's not the point, the point is that he doesn't look like a ladies' man...he looks like a big burly biker. Largely overweight and pretty much unshaven...but his manners shine through. [Big Grin]
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 14:19      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my cousin isn't a metrosexual but he got some trendy clothes and he has more wemen a guy can wish for but he has a natural ability to talk to them and make them do what ever he wants.i guess that's the miracle maker.
[Roll Eyes]
If i want to feel important and special i just have to go to a bookstore and buy a 600 page book in english(in portugal only geeks read books in other languages)and see everybody stare admired(i love doing that), i am incapable of spending money on clothes unless i really need it, because money spend in anything that is not books, comics, star wars collectibles, etc is wasted money for me. [Big Grin]

quote:
That's not the point, the point is that he doesn't look like a ladies' man...he looks like a big burly biker. Largely overweight and pretty much unshaven...but his manners shine through.
That's even more impressive. [Wink]

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 14:24      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I dance, the earth weeps. (And not in a good way).

--------------------

Posts: 33 | From: Hacker Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 16:48      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting flick to check out: The Tao of Steve
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 20:51      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally,

I find a spawn bag and a treble hook work exceptionally well for snagging chicks.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 21:12      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZER:
When I dance, the earth weeps. (And not in a good way).

LOL

When I dance, the earth falls apart laughing hysterically.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 05:00      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I won my class Waltz competition in Grade 7. I'm sure I could resurrect those skills again. In fact I'll have to for my cousin's wedding in September. Now if only I had someone to take...

And funnily enough Shall We Dance was on TV tonight. [crazy]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 05:41      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I prefer the original Shall We Dance in Japanese. I just refuse to watch the Hollywood remake with JLo. Richard Gere I can handle but not JLo. Sorry...
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 08:01      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been dancing since I was about five. One of my great uncles insisted on all of us kids learn how to dance properly. I can still waltz and foxtrot, I can polka as well... but outside that I don't dance enough to remember anymore. Oh, and I learned how to tango (kind of) recently, a friend of mine was in one of the dance classes and needed a practice buddy.

FWIW, in my men I like a sense of humor, if you can make me laugh, you'll have my attention. Then again, I'm not your average girl either, take me to a football game and I'm pretty happy. [Razz]

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture