homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » Nails (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nails
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 00:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the off-chance that some of y'all girls take much better care of your hands and feet than I do, I have some questions.

Which do you like better, gels or acrylics? Which make a hand look more feminine, round tips or square; which are easiest to live with/less prone to break? If I'm wearing an ivory dress, what color nail polish should I wear?

I hate lotion. Can't stand touching the stuff. How can I keep my feet nice without using lotion?

Thanks for entertaining my questions. I s'pose the pretty, popular girls were born with this knowledge, but my head was filled with academic pursuits, not the stench of cosmetics.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 06:44      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's my $0.02:

Don't get fake nails. Have your natural nails manicured short (which is the trend now, not long dragon claws) and since its winter/winter wedding, have them put on one of the new, highly fashionable dark colors (dark cherry, brown, burgundy--OPI has some great colors this season).

If you're going for fake nails anyway, get gels or silk wraps. Much less damaging on your natural nails than acrylics when you get mad at them in a couple weeks and rip them all off. Still go for the dark polish color. Trust me.

As for feet, if you don't like lotion, I would suggest using an exfoliating scrub in the shower and also a moisturizing body wash on your feet. That should help them to stay fairly nice. And get regular pedicures.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 07:35      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fully agree with Black Widow on that fake nail thing, you don't want to look like a 5-dollar-hooker on your wedding, do you? These acrylic things are nasty, they all look the same and severely damage your natural nails plus it's quite costly to have them filled up regularly to maintain that nice look. Not so sure about the dark nail polish, though. Wedding photos usually include a close-up of the hands and rings and depending on the light, dark colours don't look nice in pictures. When I got married in February I had my natural nails manicured in the French look, meaning rose polish and white tips. As you're going for an ebony dress I think it would be nice to have the tips in the same colour, just take your dress to the manicure studio, they will find the proper colour. And don't forget to bring your ring. If I remember correctly it has a light-blue gem, right? Light-blue and a dark nail colour would, imho, be too much of a contrast ...

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 07:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, though for your fiancé's sake I must ask, will he appreciate it? Will he see his bride and think "oh my, what have you done?!" It's his special day as well as yours, don't make him horrified. Too much make-up can be quite a turn-off to some men -- as long as you're subtle it's usually OK. Subtle, not with painted nails that makes you look like a 45-year-old mother trying to pretend she's young and trendy again ...

After all, it's not his and your families that you he has to have sex with on the night, it's you.

If it's what he really wants, then sure, go for it.

IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 09:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

I hate lotion. Can't stand touching the stuff. How can I keep my feet nice without using lotion?

Change your socks a few times a day. Serioulsy.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 13:03      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the french manicure. its a classic that will never ever look out of style. you won't want to look dated in your wedding photos 20 years from now.

and pedicures seem frivolous -- they're your feet for goodness' sake -- but they're the best and fastest way to pretty them up. I usually get my toes done with a french style too, when I decide to spend money on them.

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 13:26      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
and pedicures seem frivolous -- they're your feet for goodness' sake

Unless you have someone who is partial to feet... [blush]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 13:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know absolutely nothing about manicures. My nails are bitten off and I have some glove rash because I forgot to wear my liners yesterday, so I'd be afraid to even go near a nail salon. That said, I wouldn't recommend anything flashy.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

Wash and dry them daily. Change your socks when they get wet. Never spend more time than you absolutely have to in wet socks and never start a day with damp socks and cold feet. That's how trench foot happens. Although, really, it's wintertime. It's the season for nice closed-toe pumps or soemthing, not strappy sandals. Unless you want to be like Julia Roberst and get married barefoot...

I like lotion. It keeps my knuckles from bleeding at random times for no apparent reason.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 16:05      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not the best advice-giver here, seeing as my nails are bitten down to the quick and my feet are a mess of calluses, but I find that a short French manicure (glossy clear polish with light tips) look extremely classy without being overdone. As for making your feet look better, try investing in a pumice stone and buffing 'em off in the shower.

Also, if you go for the muted French manicure, pair it with minimal makeup...foundation and a little dewy rouged lip stain and gel blush. It looks natural and lasts longer than lipstick and powder blush...and it flatters almost any complexion.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 18:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: Do your knuckles bleed at random any time during the year, or just during the colder months?
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 18:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it coincides with how often she has to put up with emo kids...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 21:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, one of the beauteous (sp) things about being a senior grad student is I can completely avoid the emo kids. That said, they make me more amused than enraged.

The bloody knuckle thing is a dryness issue. It's more of a problem in the winter for some reason, but I've had issues in the spring, summer, and fall as well. The fact I have to wash my hands a lot doesn't help. Stress doesn't help either. Nor does a mild latex allergy. Fortunately, there are lotions out there that DON'T contain xanthan gum.

I have lovely hands. I think the manicurists would faint if I ever let one near me.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 22:32            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah sounded like that. It's fun to be at work with blood running down onto the keyboard from your hands but I don't think I ever did manage to horrify anyone. The fact that it hurts, isn't quite as fun.

Nails though should be as short as is reasonably practical :P (Just enough to provide some grip)

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 01:27      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My post asexually reproduced it self. [Eek!]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 01:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

The bloody knuckle thing is a dryness issue. It's more of a problem in the winter for some reason, but I've had issues in the spring, summer, and fall as well. The fact I have to wash my hands a lot doesn't help. Stress doesn't help either. Nor does a mild latex allergy. Fortunately, there are lotions out there that DON'T contain xanthan gum.

I have the same issue. It is more of a problem in winter becuase cold air holds less moisture. I personnaly use Nivea Creme if my finfers and elbows crack and dry, but I prefer prevention.

MOst hand soaps and shampoos contain around 15% surfactants(soap). This is what dries your skin by pulling oils out of your hand. The high surfactant amount in soap is there to create viscosity and not so much to clean. 3-5% surfactants is all that is needed to clean. I make my own liquid hand soap with these low surfactant concentrations and compensate for the viscosity drop with methyl cellulose, with also helps with the drying of the skin. (an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure)

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 04:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you need to go into production, misappropriate empty bottles of liquid soap, remove the labels, fill them up with your concoction and flog 'em
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 05:11      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Maybe you need to go into production, misappropriate empty bottles of liquid soap, remove the labels, fill them up with your concoction and flog 'em

Two problems

1.) I know how to make soap, I don't know how to market soap.

2.) I don't know what "flog 'em" means.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 05:16      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn: Sorry, late to the GC party as ever these days. I use, and thoroughly recomend OPI nail envy.

http://www.opi.com/nail_envy.asp

Stuff is great as it strengthens and protects. Use it by putting on a single coat every 2 or 3 days, then clean off one a week. Not that I do but you can also lacquer on top if you like a bit of colour. Either do your own shaping, get a friend to help or visit a salon. Since I started using it about 3 months ago I've broken 1 nail and that was when I was decorating.

I would go with rounded tips and colour to match your dress, something like 'Precious' from Chanel.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 08:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
My post asexually reproduced it self. [Eek!]

It's ALIVE!!!

Run!!!

I knew handwashing was murdering my hands. I just didn't now why. I can't wash my hands less, but at least now I know what's going on. :/

I wonder if that surfacant thing is why the only soap that doesn't leave my skin dry and itching is this really nice handmade stuff I can only find in Seattle (yeah, I know, you can get handmade soap all over the place, but the stuff I like I can only find in Seattle). Fortunately my family helps m maintain a stockpile out here in Boulder.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 11:33      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanth, you may be able to get liquid soap like surgeons use... unsurprisingly that stuff is made to clean and kill germs without drying out the skin... can't have the surgeon suffering with cracked knuckles... doesn't look nice !!!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 12:29      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Handmade soap, meh... Haven't you people seen Fight Club? [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 13:29      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate nail polish. I like to buff the nail to a polish. You can get special buffing files through Avon and many other places. It makes you look like you have a clear coat of nail polish on without the fear of chipping polish at your wedding.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 15:35      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
I hate nail polish. I like to buff the nail to a polish. You can get special buffing files through Avon and many other places. It makes you look like you have a clear coat of nail polish on without the fear of chipping polish at your wedding.

Two words: angle grinder [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 16:17      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about types of fake nails, but I do know my friend who got married about a year ago had the nails put on right before the rehearsal dinner and was *miserable*. Couldn't put stockings on, couldn't do her makeup, couldn't do anything without help and it was driving her nuts. If you are getting long nails and you aren't used to them, get them done *now* so you have a few days to get used to them, especially if you wear contacts! They can always be touched up the night before the wedding if necessary, but getting used to having things at the end of your fingers if you aren't used to them is kind of weird, and not feeling comfortable about how your own hands work on your wedding day would be bad and most likely frustrating. It can also lead to nasty scratches later [evil] I wouldn't get them too long either, not much more than 1/8 of an inch or so.

I second/third/whatever the french manicure. I would go for peach/Pink with Ivory tips. Expect typing to be really odd for the first two days. I have the opposite problem. I have freakishly strong and fast growing fingernails, so I let them get too long out of laziness, and when I cut them off (usually after I break one) everything feels strange for a day or two. Also my typing speed decreases for about 24 hours. Of course I fully expect, that whenever I actually am going to *care* about my nails being all the same length, I will somehow destroy them on the day of the event before pictures.

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 11:07      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely no acrylics. Bad, bad, bad for your nails.

Go with French as everyone else suggests. Or a soft pink, if you don't care for the white line (which a lot of places can make too wide, IMO. I like a thin line). One benefit to a French manicure is that it makes a short-ish nail look longer, and as has already been said, don't go for really long nails when you're unaccustomed to them. I would do a test run, and then have the nails repainted the day before the wedding. French manicures can chip easily if it is done straight on an unwrapped/ungelled nail.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture