homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » Greetings from the East (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Greetings from the East
Mad_Hatter
Newbie Larva
Member # 5203

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 20:10      Profile for Mad_Hatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdee Doo.

My name is Shanna. I'm an honours biology student at Acadia University in Wolfville, NS. I like to think I'm pretty hip, but I'm most definitely a closet geek; as evidenced by my love of the internet and bands such as the Barenaked Ladies.

Oh, here's me.
 -  -

--------------------
I'm Just a fucked up girl looking for my own piece of mind.

Posts: 6 | From: Shakedown Street | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 21:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You look identical to my cousin who is studying in NS.

[Eek!]

Not that it matters.

Welcome to our corner of the universe. And the Barenaked Ladies are great. I've seen them live probably 8 or 10 times or so. They're a fun band to see.

Make yourself at home, and watch out for the ones that bite -- they'll make themselves known shortly.

</pretending-to-be-nice-and-not-one-of-the-people-that-actually-do-bite>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 21:24      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Shanna.

Hope you find the Geek Culture Forums a warm place in a cold ass place. Some people might think of it as that, but some of them are a bit ridiculous, so I understand, but over all, these people are tremendous. I mean really, have you seen us? We're phat. And that's with a ph. That means our ph balance is just perfect for us to grow a hybrid stalk of kick ass. That's right, fuck the can. But nonetheless, be us tragically small or otherwise hefty (THE BIG COLD WINTER IS COMING) we are all here for the same reason.

We're geeks.

</but-you-know-you-are-one:P>

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 29, 2006 22:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mad_Hatter!

Welcome! Great to have you here. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 23:27      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Shanna.

Welcome. Make yourself at home.

I not one of the one's that bite. Oh wait, yes I do, but only in a good way.

Just watch out for zesovietrussian. He's a trouble maker. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 23:44      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what it is. how ya doin. welcome. may your posts be many and sensible.

hope to see ya on the IRC soon.

jace

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 00:47      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.

"...love of the internet and bands such as the Barenaked Ladies."

I like Bare naked ladies too... Oh, you said the band... then disregard that last comment. I didn't know they were "geek listening".

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 03:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You listed drugs as a hobby in your profile. Which drugs are you particular to? Just curious. This one here is my fave.
 -

1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 04:14      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Hatter!
I'm currently studying engineering at Dal...it's always good to see another Scotian.

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 06:55      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Welcome to our corner of the universe. And the Barenaked Ladies are great. I've seen them live probably 8 or 10 times or so. They're a fun band to see.

Were they bare-naked ladies? Yeah, I'd imagine that would be fun.

Welcome Shanna, I'm not exactly an old face here but welcome just the same.

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 06:55      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I didn't know they were "geek listening".

Only if "geek listening" has been redefined as "top 40."
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 07:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I didn't know they were "geek listening".

Only if "geek listening" has been redefined as "top 40."
Really? BNL is considered top 40?

Interesting.

aazp
Newbie Larva
Member # 5186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 08:08      Profile for aazp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hatter, I'm pretty new here myself.

I guess this confirms for me that most hot geeky girls are studying biology or architecture. At least thatís the case in my university (a very technical oriented one) where the male-female ratio is depressing, except on those areas.

And about the drugs this is my favorite:
 - although I consume high dosages of the first one too (and more frecuently).

Posts: 5 | From: In front of my computer or at college (is there anywere else?) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 08:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me dons the asshat...and what truly defines you as a geek?

Recite Pi much? Hack through the night? Work on that biology stuff just because you think it's /really/ cool?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 08:47      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! Welcome!

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mad_Hatter
Newbie Larva
Member # 5203

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 08:59      Profile for Mad_Hatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha thanks for all the lovely greetings!

I suppose the BNL may not exactly qualify as a "geek band"... perhaps just in the eyes of my snobby beatnik pals.
They are a tad of a stain on my otherwise relatively hip playlist.
Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-check it out
Last.fm
Anybody else have an account? This site is probably my biggest addiction.

As for the drug question: I enjoy caffein in the morning to get me up, some quality green in the evening, as well as the occasional mushroom trip. [Cool]

And Dragonman, yes, I study biology because I think it's really cool [Smile] (If a tad misguided at times)

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 09:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Hatter:

I'd suggest Justin Timberlake and David Usher qualify as a much larger, smellier, harder-to-get-out stain, but such is life.

I've seen Bruce Cockburn and Steven Page perform Lovers in a Dangerous Time together live. That was fucking awesome.

Mad_Hatter
Newbie Larva
Member # 5203

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 09:18      Profile for Mad_Hatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe I would agree... but notice only one song by each of them (and Cry me a River did gather a semi-decent fan base among the "indie" crowd) and how low they are on my list.

But hey, I love bluegrass... so I learned not to care what others think of my music some time back [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 09:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome.

Nice to see another biogeek on the boards. I'm a grad student in biochemistry.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 09:48      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Shanna/Mad_Hatter and welcome to the GC. May your posts be many and may you be found on IRC often!

Like dragonman97, I am curious what other types of geeky things you are into. Anything you wish to elaborate on? [Big Grin]

(Nice pictures by the way. [Wink] )

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 13:43      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I'd suggest Justin Timberlake and David Usher qualify as a much larger, smellier, harder-to-get-out stain, but such is life.

I'm guessing you missed the Dave Matthews presence...better bust out the Clorox!

I've got a Last.FM, too, but I haven't been arsed to run it in a few weeks, so it's sorely lacking in the Steve Albini department: http://www.last.fm/user/demozthenes

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 15:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I'm guessing you missed the Dave Matthews presence...better bust out the Clorox!

Actually, say what you want about Mr Matthews. That guy + a guitar == wow. I could listen to him on a guitar for days.

quote:

I've got a Last.FM, too, but I haven't been arsed to run it in a few weeks, so it's sorely lacking in the Steve Albini department: http://www.last.fm/user/demozthenes

You have impeccable taste in music.
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 15:28      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ESC412540

quote:
Mad Hatter

Hip playlists are for scmucks (aka... non-geeks!). Real geeks listen to these!!!

Suga Shikao
Round Table feat. Nino
Up Dharma Down
Asami Izawa
JAM Project
Cibo Matto
Suneohair
Moonpools and Caterpillars
Cocteau Twins
Sugar Hiccup

Etc.

Ok so I forgot to add that I also have Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Cranberries, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Temple of the Dog. But I still get geek points when I use Microsoft Voice Command to play Plush by speaking into my bluetooth headset: "Play Stone Temple Pilots!"

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mad_Hatter
Newbie Larva
Member # 5203

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 16:16      Profile for Mad_Hatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fail to see what is so terrible about Dave Matthews. Sure he's cliched, but the man is an absolutely brilliant guitar player, and his band is full of incredibly talented musicians.

Say what you will, as I said, most people are skeptical about my choice in tunes... bothers me not [Smile]

quote:
Like dragonman97, I am curious what other types of geeky things you are into.
Other dorky things? Well, I think certain RPGs such as FF7 are pretty damn sweet. But perhaps my darkest secret is how my pal got me into an online game entitled "Urban Dead" some months back... complete with zombies and all! [blush]

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 12 posted May 30, 2006 17:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

last.fm is very cool, but something embarassing always slips in...

/me looks down Demothene's list and finds... Eminem!

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture