homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » How does a shy geek guy go about getting the girl? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How does a shy geek guy go about getting the girl?
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 21:35      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, in a break from the last two topics about not-so-geeky-girls trying to bag the geeky guy, today I will offer myself up onto the gods of message boarding and turn myself into a sacrifice for the sake of providing conversation material for everyone on this board.

Bear with me if this is a little long; it's sort of a narrative of what's going on in my life right now. At the least I think my literary prowess will awe you and give you a good read. [Razz]

Here's the scenario: we have a really geeky guy trying to woo the not so-geeky-girl. It's the same basic participants as the other two topics by Crazy and girly, but this time it's the guy (i.e. -- me) trying to make the moves, and we're taking it from my point-of-view.

About 3 or 4 months ago a new wave of agents came into my company, among them was this cute pretty girl who caught my eye (partially because she "resembles" this other girl I liked, partially because she seems a fun, friendly and demure sort). Her station was close to my station so I got to see her a lot, and she sort of grew on me. Not when I say she resembles another girl I like, I'm not saying she physically resembles the girl to the point that I can use her as a "replacement" for the other girl, but rather that she gives off the same "vibe" as the other girl (you could say that "vibe" is my type).

Well I'm a really geeky guy, SSB (single since birth -- never really got into a serious real romantic relationship before), and I absolutely suck at relating with girls in a romantic way. I honestly don't have a clue. I honestly don't know this girl very well yet, I've been looking at her (maybe a bit impolitely I might say at times) for the past month or so, and I've seen her glance back quite a few times (doesn't mean anything I think) and so I took it slowly until yesterday I managed to introduce myself to her almost by chance.

About 3 weeks ago I chanced upon her in our HR department, I was there consulting with one of the HR peeps, and she suddenly passed by to submit some documents, and I made some very small talk. Didn't go introduce myself though, and she left after a very quick exchange.

3 weeks and a lot of looking-at-her-and-her-occasionally-looking-back-at-me-from-across-the-room pass. Enter Friday, our floor plan seating arrangement was shuffled so she was transferred to a far part of the floor where I don't usually see her anymore. This was a bit of a downer but I told myself, I'd find a chance!

Then yesterday I happened to come across her in the locker area. She had her back to me and was moving back to the floor area when I perchance cleared my throat because of some phlegm. This caused her to look back at me. Then out of the blue I just wave and say hi. She says hi back with a smile and goes back to the floor.

THEN at the end of the day, I happen to be talking with some people on her side of the floor, and she waves at the person I am talking to. Basically she has to stay for a meeting and the guy I was talking to (who is incidentally one of my friends) says he'll go ahead then (I think they were supposed to go home together or something). She turns to go back to her team meeting, and my buddy then goes, "you like any girls in my team, I'll take care of it!" That was sorta, "WTF" but that prompted me to go, "Hey why don't you introduce me to your friend." And so he did introduce me to her.

After introducing us she moves to leave again, before she gets too far though my buddy goes, "Hey no handshake?" Then she does something funny, she's kinda weird in some ways. She offers her left hand to shake, I do. Then she offers her right, prompting me to switch my phone to my other hand and shake, then she goes "both!" and crosses my hands over and shakes my hands crossed. =_= After that she says something, and I am not sure whether I am supposed to read anything into it: "Don't be a stranger now."

Then flash forward to today, and I'm in high spirits having actually gotten to know her and talk to her for a change! Now she usually goes to lunch about 1:30pm due to her work schedule. My lunch times are flexible so I take lunch pretty much whenever. I went to lunch at about 1:38, not really trying to run into her, and when I reached the elevator lo and behold she was standing there waiting to go down with some crackers.

She goes and greets me and says hi in her cute way of talking. I ask her if she's had lunch already, she says no. I then say that I'm about to go to lunch on the second floor (we're on the fourth) and ask her where she's eating lunch. She says she's also eating on the second. Now, normally i take the stairs down to my lunch floor but, never being one to pass up an opportunity, I take the elevator with her this time to the 2nd floor.

Now some things to note here: I've seen her eat lunch on the 2nd floor once, but normally I think she eats lunch on the fourth floor (we have different concessionaires per floor). She also usually eats with two other people from her team ordering a plate meal on the 4th, but after eating I am not sure what she does... other than she usually finishes eating about halfway through her lunch break (1:30-2:00pm). The day previous I met her at the locker near the end of her lunch shift alone but I don't know if she still goes around with her lunch teammates. I don't now much what she does after she finishes eating. Today though she was all alone with some crackers, and going down to the 2nd floor. About 10 minutes after the usual start of her lunch break.

While I doubt she was waiting for me to pass the elevator (unless she keeps tabs on my eating schedule), somehow I found her eating lunch on the second floor (and her lunch being crackers) a bit dubious... I don't know if I'm reading too much into it but on with the story.

We got to the cafeteria and she proceeded to eat her crackers. I went and bought some pasta. As I sit down, she goes, "have we had lunch before?" I'm like, huh? I've heard pick-up lines where you ask a girl if you've met before but this was kind of out there.

She then goes to say that the way I walked over to the seat and sat in front of her was very reminiscent of something she remembered some time back. At this point I'm thinking she had deja vu, and I bring this up. She informs me that she also has prophetic dreams sometimes, and she's had some instances where she dreams of meeting people and the next day she meets those people in the exact way she dreams.

Well this may weird out some people but for me it's a bit of a turn-on since I'm into this psychic stuff. Of course I try a sly, "so did you dream about me last night?" crack though she says she didnt. [Razz] Anyway we get into a nice lunch conversation talking about diets; apparently she is on a diet since she only ate half the pack of crackers she brought! She offered the other half to me and I make a token attempt of getting some, then offer her some of my pasta in return. She declines though; she's on a diet of sorts though I am quick to point out and do some really geeky banter by pointing out the Southbeach diet principles of how eating refined carbs like crackers is bad for losing weight!

Well anyway it was a very enjoyable lunch and I enjoyed her company a lot. She was also very attentive and looked like she was enjoying herself. Too bad her lunch ends at 2:00 so we had to bring the lunch date short and get her back to her station.

There was a bunch of stuff I wanted to talk about, but didn't get the chance to because of the flow of the conversation and the limited amount of time.

I did get to ask her about where she lived, what school she attended, and some anecdotal stories about her school life.

I did not get to ask her about: her hobbies, her past romances, whether she is currently seeing anyone, and a whole ton of other stuff. I sort of kick myself for forgetting/not managing to get her number.

Well that was pretty much the end of my encounter for today.

What do you guys think? And what do advice can you guys give me? How do I setup ways to meet up with her and basically waste time with her, what things should I talk about, what things should I NOT talk about, etc.

And if there's no advice, at least I hope you guys enjoyed this little anecdote of my miserable love life. [Wink]

Tomorrow is another day, I'll be pushing to do what I can but again I am totally clueless at this stuff.

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 01:28      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep on witht the chatting and the hellos. Try asking her out for some coffee or maybe a quick dinner after work. Then just relax and see what happens. From what you have described about her eating habits if she does say yes to dinner you at least have an idea that the check wont be too pricey. [Wink]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 01:50      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How does a shy geek guy go about getting the girl?"

This won't help you at all, but what's gotten me beginning to be less of a shy geek guy is having a crush on an even shyer geek girl who I *know* will never make the first move. A bit frustrating, but I think it is good for me - has been so far, anyway.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 02:42      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not shy, this is shy, psychologically damaged shy: I met this girl on myspace, who happens to go to the same uni as me. We've been messaging for a few weeks now and I gently asked if she'd like to meet. After a couple weeks of her playing cheeky hard to get, walking past me without even looking (turns out she's walked past me once a week since semester started, about 8 weeks and we never noticed, which is crazy 'cause she is HOT).

Anyway, last week we organised to try and meet again, after me saying that if she forgot and did keep walking past I'd chase after her. Well it happened, but I chickened out AGAIN. I'm hopeless.

Mochan, just keep plugging away. Try and make the lunch a regular thing, maybe. Get to know her that way.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 05:04      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yer i agree with yayawomen, apart from the fact of asking her out to dinner... It is a little early in the relashionship to be asking her out for dinner, because that is normally when somthing will happen afterwards... (at least thats what us men hope for... not being shallow or anyhting, i don't do it for a one night stand or anything, okay i will stop digging)

But i certainly think that you should maybe ask her out for lunch on the weekend or like yayawomen said a coffe after work,but don't rush into it otherwise you could blow the whole thing.

As far as my experiances go, women don't like men that rush into stuff to much, they like the small talk and the casual side of things first just to get to know the guy, and then if they like you they will be more than happy to go out with you, the key is timing, and knowing when she is ready.

Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 06:29      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(turns out she's walked past me once a week since semester started, about 8 weeks and we never noticed, which is crazy 'cause she is HOT).
You, my dear sir, need to get your eyes checked! For shame, not noticing a hot girl passing by!

Ok, I'll go with the lunch option. I did do this before (with the girl I said looks kinda like her) -- basically I would always hang out with her and her gang during lunch. I made it a point to take my lunch whenever they took their lunch and ended up being good friends with the whole lot (which was nice, because all 5 of them were babes! -- and they didn't know who I was aiming for heheh).

A bit harder this time though since she eats lunch on a different floor than I do usually, but I guess I'll have to find a way to make it work.

I guess my problem is finding that "timing." I am so bad at reading people to know their moods and feelings. I fear I won't know it even if she were ripe and ready (pardon my choice of words).

I'll turn this thread into my blog for this thing for a week or so. Please help me out with my progress (or lack of!)

Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 07:33      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick update on what's happening. It seems she is already taken! I did some digging with her friends and found out she has a boyfriend already. Well that sucks!

But I'm told she is looking for a new boyfriend. I don't know why yet. Need to do more digging. Regardless it's still not the ideal setup; I'm generally wary of women who will trade their current loves for another one. Of course I don't know the circumstances; maybe the guy is a real jerk, I don't know. I'll have to take a look into it further. But for now I will follow my heart and just keep going at it. Time will reveal if she is someone worth fighting for, I think.

I find that fate seems to have a cruel thing for me. The last girl I liked, whom I mentioned in this thread and whom I mentioned this girl resembles, also had a boyfriend at the time! Just my luck to always fall for the taken ones. Incidentally that last one was the first time I tried to pull something like this (ahas is what we call it locally here - literally means "snake" and it's a term we apply to someone who tries to steal someone else's girl). Well as fate would have it, I'm here to try to pull it off again (like I didn't learn the first time!). Ah well, we shall see how it goes.

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 08:50      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keep on learking around her... but not too intrusefley, so that you are in the front of her mind [Wink] and be kind, and just generally seem like a nice guy, (not that you arnt)

So that when she does come round to picking her new boyfriend she will think of you.

*childish i know*

but i kind of like the idea.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 03:15      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mochan:
quote:
(turns out she's walked past me once a week since semester started, about 8 weeks and we never noticed, which is crazy 'cause she is HOT).
You, my dear sir, need to get your eyes checked! For shame, not noticing a hot girl passing by!
Sorry Mochan, but I'd get whiplash if I turned at looked at every hottie that walked past at uni.

My own mini update: I went especially to uni today when I didn't have to, to go see her. I went to the physics pc lab to see if she was on myspace like she was at the same time last week, and to organise a meet that I couldn't chicken out of. But she wasn't online so I couldn't do anything. And she doesn't finish til late tonight and she works tomorrow, so it might be the weekend before she reads the messages that I left her on myspace prostrating myself before her begging for her forgiveness for being such a wuss.

Aaarrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Oh well, just have to wait til next Monday and not chicken out this time

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 05:22      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I noticed in my experience: proclaiming you're a wuss never seems to wash well with women for some reason. It's as if they expect us to be "strong" or something. I don't know, but doing this has never endeared me to women.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 07:42      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
quote:
quote:
Sorry Mochan, but I'd get whiplash if I turned at looked at every hottie that walked past at uni.

My own mini update: I went especially to uni today when I didn't have to, to go see her. I went to the physics pc lab to see if she was on myspace like she was at the same time last week, and to organise a meet that I couldn't chicken out of. But she wasn't online so I couldn't do anything. And she doesn't finish til late tonight and she works tomorrow, so it might be the weekend before she reads the messages that I left her on myspace prostrating myself before her begging for her forgiveness for being such a wuss.

Dude, what happened to that whole SaSTronomer thing?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 09:21      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One thing I noticed in my experience: proclaiming you're a wuss never seems to wash well with women for some reason. It's as if they expect us to be "strong" or something. I don't know, but doing this has never endeared me to women.

Really? I find that being upfront about not being particularly confident actually helps. It shows them an inner vulnerability, and that you're willing to be honest and open to them. Plus some find it endearing. Like SaSa [weep]

As for the SaSTronomer thing, well since she doesn't come here anymore...it was going great until I said a few things that were too much for her in her somewhat emotional state, still not completely moved on from her ex-fiance, and a previous bad online experience. Thanks to a financial problem on her family's part we were out of regular contact for about 6 weeks. I told her how much it hurt to not be able to talk to her, and once I was able to break through a little, found out she felt the same way.

In the end, I think we just mixed each other up too much. At the end of March I started thinking about a trip to see her and I think that started the downward slide. I think she might have realised how serious I was taking the relationship. Over the 1st weekend in April, I went down to the south coast for a fishing trip and when I got back there was an email from her waiting for me. It said that she thought everything was her fault, even from the very beginning when we met here, and that she didn't want to cause me any more pain. So she broke it off then and there. I tried to send something to her saying that it wasn't her fault, etc. Pleading with her to reconsider, but she'd blocked that email. I sent it using another one, but never heard anything back. That was about seven weeks ago.

A couple of weeks after that I joined MySpace, and I think about a week after that something made me decide to search there for her. And I found her and left her another message saying how I felt about everything. Unfortunately she hasn't logged on since the beginning of March, so she hasn't got it. I could send one of her buddies a message to get her to read it, but I'm hesitant to do that. I'm not sure that by pushing it, I'd get the reaction that I want.

The crazy part is, that even though I never met her, or even spoke to her on the phone, I love her. I still do. I might have moved on somewhat, but I don't think I'll ever get over her or forget her. She changed my life. Before her I was the pathologically shy geek that never took any social risks. And now, well ok I'm still shy, but I've made more friends since meeting her six months ago than I have in the six years it's been since I left highschool.

I don't know what else to say, except, Sara, if you do, by some unknown power, reason, feeling, intuition, etc ever read this, all I want you to know is that I do love you and that I'd give anything to hear from you again.

--------------------

Crazy Girl
Geek Larva
Member # 5146

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 14:13      Profile for Crazy Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mochan
My advice on the matter is similar to which you have already received - keep running into her. Even if it means walking the long way around at work just to pass by her station and say hello. Try to have lunch with her a few times a week!
I look forward to seeing how things go!

Posts: 22 | From: Crazy World, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 17:45      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, just do all manner of funny maneuvers just to see her! That's what I've been doing today, actually.

The bad thing is that I'm swamped with work this week (and next week), so it's hard for me to find time to casually work my way into her presence, but I'm doing what I can.

While checking on one of her teammates who I was cross-training, I passed by her station to say hi, and noticed the really funky colored adn striped socks she was wearing. I mean, it was like purple badned on raspberry on mulberry and it had little toes for each digit, man they were so cute!!! I couldn't resist telling her how cute her socks were, and she smiled at least. I should have asked for my own pair! LOL

For today, I was too busy to mosey my way over to her lunch table. I did catch her on her way out of the pantry when I went for a water refill. I asked her how her Skyflakes diet was going (Skyflakes is the cracker she was eating when we had lunch) and she just smiled and said it was going well. Though I think she probably ate something else other than Skyflakes today.

Since we were going the same way, I walked with her to the locker room (which is on the way back to the floor) where she stopped one row to the right of her actual locker. I chided her for having poor spatial reasoning then opened the locker for her. Now, celphones are prohibited for Level 1 employees in our workoffice because we're at a call center taking international calls, and the celphone signal disrupts communications. In practice though, everybody brings their celphones with them to the floor.

She then placed her cel into her locker, and I was like, "Wow, you actually follow the celphone rule?" Nice, I love a girl with integrity. [Smile] She said though that it was more of a hassle, since calls or texts coming in tend to bother her during calls, so it wasn't an issue for her to follow the rule. I go on about how my team had their celphones with them at all times. Now, she used to sit right behind one of my teammembers, so she goes, "No wonder it was so noisy when I was sitting back there!"

Now in hindsight I kick myself for not taking perfect advantage of an opportunity to do a little touchy-feely by playfully grabbing her and apologizing profusely for my team's actions disturbing her! Well I'll do that next time. [Smile]

Anyway we head back to the floor and part ways with a smile. Not a terribly eventful and nice day, but there was enough there to keep me happy until tomorrow. [Big Grin]

Now, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice or tips on how to go about this. I normally eat on the 2nd floor, she eats on the 4th. Her lunch time is not an issue, although she follows a break schedule, I have the freedom to choose whenever I take my breaks. What I am worried about, though, is because eating on the 4th floor is not part of my routine, it would be so out of place to go with her on the 4th floor for lunch. It would be blatantly obvious!

Do you guys think I should be this obvious, or should I employ a little more subterfuge ("pa-simple" as we call it here in the Philippines).

If I go the pa-simple route and just blatantly barge in on her during lunch, then I have no need for any tips or advice. If you gusy recommend a subtler method, though, how do you think should I go about arranging bumping into her to have lunch with her? I've come up with lots of cornball gags before but I'm not really very good at it, any advice?

I wish we ate lunch on the same floor. Makes me wonder how we ended up eating lunch on the 2nd floor the first time. It seemed like a miracle. [Smile]

Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 01:18      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleh, well last I spoke with her was last Friday when we had lunch together. Not just the two of us though, we had some of her friends along. This helped ease the tension and break the ice, but of course I liked it better when it was just the two of us. Now the question is if she liked it better that way, too. [Smile]

Haven't managed to find the opportunity to see her today or yesterday. Hopefuly this Wednesday will be different! I have the backing of some of her friends now (allegedly) so hopefully I can make some things happen.

MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 24, 2006 05:34      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are able to, leave her a hand written note with a small flower attached to it on her desk saying Hello on her desk. You can just happen by her work area and leave it as you walk by. She will find you and Thank you for the flower.
Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 18:49      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sign my name on the note, right? [Wink]

Okay, some weird developments. Yesterday, while meeting with three of her friends, one of those friends told me a story about how she had broken up with her BF (We shall call this friend, "Friend A"). The other two friends (Friend B and C) though said that they were with them (her and the BF) just the other day playing billiards, so that wasn't true.

Well I didn't pay this any mind. Today though I happened to sit with her AND the Friend A at lunch. When that happened she was mincing funny jokes putting Friend A down. I was like, "what did you do to make her beat you up!" They would not tell me what he did though, but she was playfully (though quite venomously) picking Friend A apart with verbal jabs through the meal.

After she and some of the other girl friends she was left, Friend A and I were left. Friend A (who is a guy by the way) then told me that she had been mad at him all day because "Friend A was 'selling' her to me" by telling me that she and her BF broke up. Ok, that nuance didn't quite come out right in translation. Basically she felt that Friend A was pushing her towards me with that.

This has me reeling at the possible implications. As I see it, they are:

1. Either Friend B or Friend C ratted out on me and told her about how I felt and about how Friend A had told that story about her and her BF (Friend B and Friend C though are also my friends)
2. She now probably knows I like her (not necessarily a good thing this early in the game, especially since it did not come from me)
3. She is now likely on guard with me around
4. She probably isn't particularly interested in me.
5. She is probably not quite ready to make a clean break with her current BF just yet (they have some issues though which Friend A told me about)

What do you guys think? Suddenly this became a bit of a mess. I'm not sure what she thinks right now, which to me is the important thing. What do you guys think does she think? And why? Ah I'm getting a headache.

aazp
Newbie Larva
Member # 5186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 20:10      Profile for aazp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new here, but I must say that I've been right there Mochan, and although it didn't go well (didn't go anywhere actually), your results may be different.
It's possible she now knows you like her, but start acting according to that unless you re sure. (there may have been something else going on)

And a last comment, it looks are thinking to much about it. It has been found that thinking in excess may be hazardous to your health and relationships (when you give too much thought on one particular thing you loose perspective, therefore believing incorrect things and making/saying stupid or out of place things)

--------------------
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. - Isaac Asimov

Posts: 5 | From: In front of my computer or at college (is there anywere else?) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 04:55      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I guess I just won't think about it too much and just do my thing! I know what you mean about thinking too much about these things.
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2006 16:17      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, looks like my fears were correct: she probably *does* know I have the hots for her. Which as mentioned is probably not a good thing this early in the game, and actually the results seem to have shown themselves already: since she knows, she is now "guarded" against me.

I'm having trouble just approaching her and striking conversation like I did last week; she's not as responsive and talkative as she used to be. We don't talk directly to each other at all these days; it's more like we just end up commenting on what everyone else around us is saying. It's very frustrating?

Girls, why is it that you all seem to turn away when a premature revelation like this happens? Well at least it always seems to happen for the girls who are my type (I always seem to pick 'em, that's why they're my type). Any of you gals there have any advice for me? How do I get her to open up again? Is it even possible now that she has her defenses up?

In addition a little extra element to the plot: apparently she told Friend A that her PC was broken, and that she needed it fixed. Now I don't know if this is some kind of Geek Justice but Friend A is actually clueless about these kinds of things (I don't know why she told Friend A to come over and fix her PC -- Friend A by the way is married with two children so she isn't interested in him in that way). Now Friend is on my side trying to do something for me, so he proposes I come along with him to fix her PC (that is my forte, after all).

Well, very tempting but I told him not to bring me "as a surprise." Given how I think she is avoiding me, that would not be a nice thing to do. I told him that if that was the plan, he should clear it with her first. If she says no, then forget it. If yes, then I guess I have an opportunity.

Gah, things got complicated when I got Friend A involved, but hey maybe something will come out of this yet.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 08:30      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
quote:
quote:

Another update.

I finally fronted up and met the girl today. I strategically placed myself where, if she came, she couldn't help but see me. She did and we said a quick hello as she was going into the computing lab to do some work.

Luckily my afternoon lecture finished an hour early and I went back to the same place to read/work until I was being picked up. This was a good thing because she was there again too, this time waiting for people to do a group assignment. They were taking a while, so her, her friend and I had a nice chat.

It's her birthday on Thursday, so I'll send her a nice e-card.

Hopefully things will go good from here.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 12:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nono make it a real card. e-cards are lame. Not just the inherent cheapness but that you've got to futz around with e-mailed links and then end up on a cheesy page full of ads or something. And I think I got sent one where my HTML stripper deleted the HTML e-mail content necessary to even open it (it was a spam protection, and the plain text half of the message was incomplete and badly broken). And it was a card from the head of a Web design agency.
IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 12:54      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, maybe, but I don't want to be too forthright. We had a good chat over the weekend about stuff, like how neither of us is looking for anything serious, etc. That's why I'm gonna go with the e-card. It's a nice, innocuous gesture from one new friend to another, that says yes I'm thinking about you, but no, not that much.

--------------------

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 13:00      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about this?

Buy one of those humorous funny birthday cards. Raunchy or silly or....eh, you know what I mean. Something that will make her laugh without feeling all pressured. Then go up to her during the day and give it to her and say "Happy Birthday".

No cheesy email, no declarations of undying lust or love, just a smile and happy birthday.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted May 29, 2006 13:04            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] That's the spirit =)
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture