homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » GUYS! How to tell if a 30 year old geek likes you (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: GUYS! How to tell if a 30 year old geek likes you
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 18:30      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
You want to know if a 30 year old geek likes you? hm. Does he let you hold his walker for him? Does his colostomy bag begin to fill out of nervousness when you're around?

... ok, I guess 30 isn't that old.

I'm so mean.

Here, hold my colostomy bag while I beat you over the head with my walker, whippersnapper.

God, I love the smell of Geritol in the morning. It smells like ... victory!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 23:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe we're on the second page and no-one has offered that timeless bit of advice....

... show up naked, with beer.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 23:57      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh you are so right.

Capn vic would be so disgusted.

Although it came up in another thread and led to a totally ahhhhhh enlightening(if slightly off topic)conversation.

Perhaps it would be safer to just skip it? [Wink]

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 01:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, you're not interested in engaging in such piercing conversation again? Has that desire been nipped in the bud? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
girlygirl
Mini Geek
Member # 4886

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 08:59      Profile for girlygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the advice you guys!! Everybody is so hilarious!! =) I think I'm such an old fashioned girl and I'm used to the guy making the first move, but this time around I don't have much choice!! I'm just afraid I have read him wrong and he doesn't even like me at all that way (total embarrasment factor for me).

He asked me yesterday to help him find a winter jacket so I think I'll use that and go from there =) It's kinda nerve racking for me though! I haven't felt like this since highschool!! I guess it doesn't help that I've been in a relationship for the last 7 years of my life.

Posts: 52 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 09:58      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He wants you to help pick out clothes?

Girl just relax and enjoy and see what happens.

If he is asking for your help in the clothing area I would just have fun with the shopping and know that another date will come out of it. just watch for an opportunity to ask/

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 16:36      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Ask him to help you pick out a computer. Make him feel important when he does.

"Blow a ton of money, then patronize him."

Personally, that sounds like way too much cash to blow in the efforts of picking somebody up. Plus, maybe it's me, but I hate showing weakness or ignorance of a subject when I'm still getting to know somebody.

My advice? Ask him out or at very least tell him how you feel. If he says no, well, Peebs and her riding crop sound wicked hot...turn your attention elsewhere. [Big Grin]

Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 09:14      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggest your availability for said jacket shopping is Saturday morning. After he obtains said jacket, suggest going to lunch because you're hungry. Go dutch unless he really insists on paying, but you dont pay for both... although if he pays you could then pay the tip.

Next date is when he asks, not you.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 09:28      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could make it an evening shopping trip and suggest a casual dinner.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 19:19      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I noticed people said that a guy gets nervous around people they like. I find I am doing some of the same things with this girl I like.

We chat often via Gmail, and email. I sit next to her in the 2 classes we have together. But when the class is over I disappear into thin air.

For me it's a mix of mostly rejection type feelings and fear of the unknown. I have NEVER had a girlfriend and I'm almost 23.

She likes the same things I like, she can program Java blindfolded, and has a couple of Linux PCs on her home network. She's envious of my CISCO router, and my Laser printer. She wanted to know more about CISCO equipment. She's taking the same degree as me which is great.

I told her about a Wired article I had read about a condition she has, and she seemed interested. I dug up a link on a random Google Search and sent it to her.

I say ask him out for coffee, don't pressure him too much, he may be nervous, etc. When I went to see 40 Year Old Virgin in the movies, it kind of reminded me of myself in 20 years or so.

Don't be afraid of rejection, just go for it, or you'll never know how he really felt about you. I say it's better to know about something and remove all doubt then be left in the dark.

In my life, I want to ask this girl out, but I am afraid of losing a good friend. Plus it leads to akward feelings. Anyone know of any Linux expo coming to NYC [Wink] .... I wish one would come my way, that way I could invite her somewhere where the pressure is off the both of us, and we can just relax and enjoy our time together.

There comes a point in your life, where like the Rev. Flake told us at my college graduation "Execute". Just do it and find out for sure.

P.S. I should take my own advice [Wink]

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
girlygirl
Mini Geek
Member # 4886

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 11, 2006 22:21      Profile for girlygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys! It sorta gave me the push to actually do something about the situation.

He seems to like the jacket I picked out for him. As for our status....

1 "date" so far--asked him out after work one day after I requested a ride home and he agreed!! We went for dinner the next day, and aftewards walked around a quiet mall where the restaurant was. It went well and it was AMAZING!! Just talked and stuff, but it was nice. The reason it is a "date" in quotations is because I asked him in a casual manner to "hang out" but he asked later whether it was considered a "date". I was so flustered and taken aback that I told him that I merely just enjoyed his company (Am I sending confusing signals here or what?)

Was this question a sign that of his intentions? We agreed to have lunch together again the next day. We've become a LOT closer after all this, but everything is still up in the air because we both seem to nervous to discuss our feelings towards each other.

He's even taken it upon himself to inform the office how he's obligated to now have lunch with his "wife". Is this immature act an attempt to let me know he's not taking this whole "dating" thing seriously? Or is it just some nervous knee-jerk reaction to all that his happening? I can't tell what his motivations are.

Nonetheless we have even made plans to go to Europe together (backpacking)! It's SO crazy!!! I don't even know what to think right now. Is he into me or is he not?? Do I stay patient and drag this whole charade on or do I attempt to have a talk about our "feelings", which may possibly scare him away and make things even more akwaard (can things get more akwaard?).

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 02:47      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey girlygirl,

It's good to hear that things are going great with your geek. It sounds like he's really into you. Wow you have plans to travel together already. Sounds serious.

If you find a time when it feels right to tell him how you feel, go for it. The risk that you always take is that he doesn't yet feel the same about you. You already know that he's pretty shy so he might be waiting for you to make the first move again.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 08:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to say stop overthinking and go out with him a few more times and see what happens. You said in your original post that your friends say he's shy and reverts back to acting like a 9 year old around you. Now he's joking about you being his wife. Stop thinking of that as a charade and consider meeting him halfway. He obviously likes you and his inner child wants your inner child to come out and play. Don't force him to do his chores and eat brussels sprouts instead.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 08:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...YES...he's into you.

Have fun, relax, just enjoy the ride.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 09:45      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Wouldn't the guy be the one "enjoying the ride?" [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
girlygirl
Mini Geek
Member # 4886

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 10:42      Profile for girlygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You made a good poing Steen! I think I've been taking this whole thing too seriously. I have to "play along" more and just "enjoy the ride" =)

I'm usually very outgoing, but around him I just feel so nervous! I haven't such an intense case of "butterflies" since I was in highschool, and I'm now 25! I never had to do so much work before--but what do you expect in a situation like this right?

At the same time I'm battling all the criticism from my friends. "Are you sure you want to be his FIRST gf? and "you guys are moving too fast". Everything just feels so right though, and for once I want to trust my instinct.

girlygirl
Mini Geek
Member # 4886

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 10:54      Profile for girlygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:

haha =)
girlygirl
Mini Geek
Member # 4886

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 11:36      Profile for girlygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow oh Wow! I did a lil search for how to attact a geek and I got TONS of relevant info in all the forums!

Funny how sometimes in life you think you're alone, but you find out that so many other people are like you! I would describe myself as an average girl who is CRAZY about intelligent, nice guys, prefarably ones who like to wear polo shirts/shirts& ties(aka a "geek" to many). I just seem to attract all the wrong men--the typical "bad boys"--and it seems like my life long persuit of something meaningful with a wonderful geek is so difficult!

They don't seem to go for girls like me =( I was once lucky enough to catch this geek's attention (magic player/trekkie), but he was a bit much for me. I just hope this works out!!

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 12:11      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by girlygirl:
...and it seems like my life long persuit of something meaningful with a wonderful geek is so difficult!

Funny, it seems like every single chick around here wants an ex frat monkey type.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ksuguy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 12:45      Profile for ksuguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He probably does like you. I've got a similar problem. I am very shy and if I do see someone I would like to date, I am usually too afraid to say anything to her. I might throw out the occasional "Hi", but I have trouble doing more than that. The problem is even worse if there are other people around. Do you find him hanging around you or using flimsy excuses to come over by your desk? If so, he's probably hoping for an opportunity to talk to you, but he may be having trouble.

We've got a new girl at work that I've been really wanting to talk to for the past 2 weeks. I've only had a few brief conversations with her, but whenever I get the chance to say more, I always end up panicking and making a hasty exit.

Posts: 2 | From: Wichita, KS | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 15:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, actually... If he's sitting on the couch and she's straddling his legs... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 17:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
quote:

Well, actually... If he's sitting on the couch and she's straddling his legs... [Roll Eyes]
Funny...you make that sound like it doesn't happen. [Razz]

/me thinks wistfully...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 17:40      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
....Well, actually... If he's sitting on the couch and she's straddling his legs... [Roll Eyes]

Damm you. I had work to do tonight, now all I can think about is sex.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 17:46      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

the Reverse Cowgirl is better.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 20:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
girlygirl wrote:
You made a good poing Steen!

Thanks. I'm so proud of my poing that I'm going to have it bronzed and hang it on the wall next to my awards for tasteful humor. [Smile]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture