homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » (non)Geek Girls (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: (non)Geek Girls
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 23:29      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every guy here seems so wrapped up in finding the right 'geeky' girl. I, personally, have never met a geeky girl that I have been interested in. In fact, I have always been interested in girls that are slightly more active than I am.

Finding a girl that has similiar interests does sound interesting, but a slightly different kind of girl might [keep me in better shape|broaden my perspectives|whatever]. What is your opinion? Is it 'Birds of a feather...' or 'opposites attract'?

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 05:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend isn't really much of a geek herself -- she has some of the tendencies of a geek, like preferring Linux now that I've taught it to her, and she's a bit of a comic book geek, but for the most part, she's the type you'd see in a cafe writing poetry. Her and I work perfectly together...

Although, that's just anecdotal.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 08:38      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about just looking for a girl in general, without seeking her for 'geekyness' or 'non-geekyness'. I, for one, never seem to go out with the type of guy I say that I am attracted to. It just happens [Wink]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 10:50      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do what I did. I found a regular girl married her then slowly turned her into a geek. She even recently wanted a new computer. And hers wasent even broken. She just wanted the latest in technology. She can now wright in Basic and HTML. Soon I'll get her into C++ and pearl hehe

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 01, 2005 12:11      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Soon I'll get her into C++ and pearl hehe

All the best with C++ (though I believe a real OO language would be better), but to get a girl into pearl(s) is asking for (money) trouble! Wait 'till she asks for a 5-ranks, 1/4', 18", necklace and you'll understand. Altough it would be worse to get her into Ruby/ ruby!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 09:53      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Soon I'll get her into C++ and pearl hehe

All the best with C++ (though I believe a real OO language would be better), but to get a girl into pearl(s) is asking for (money) trouble! Wait 'till she asks for a 5-ranks, 1/4', 18", necklace and you'll understand. Altough it would be worse to get her into Ruby/ ruby!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

You beat me to it. [Wink]
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 16:08      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Shriver:
quote:
In fact, I have always been interested in girls more active than I am.
Not all geeks are pasty-legged blobs that just camp out in front of their computers. I'm much more active than most of the "regular" girls where I live. I camp, hike, backpack, play racquet ball, and lift weights. To assume that geek girls could not keep you in shape seems like an appalling generality.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 17:33      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zim'et:
To assume that geek girls could not keep you in shape seems like an appalling generality.

It is, but it makes my point.

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 07:28      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shriver:
quote:
To assume that geek girls could not keep you in shape seems like an appalling generality.

It is, but it makes my point.
I wish I could make stuff up to prove my points [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
bageria
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3758

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 08:34      Profile for bageria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that just cause I'm a geek doesn't mean I'm not active. I love the outdoors and spend half my time camping (even in snow) I also work out. You can find time to work on a car, play the newest game, watch the latest SG-1, install new software and write a program, work out and camp, go to work and pull out the chains in the bed room. Just cause your a geek girl doesn't mean you have to be 300+ pounds eat ice cream while working on your newest prgram and nothing else. And NO it didn't prove your point at all.

As far as birds or a feather verse opposties attract. I don't believe it's either. I believe it's both. In order to have a decent relationship...unless it's just about the sex...You need to be able to find a common ground of things that interest you both AND have differences that encourage you both to strive for more and learn new things. Being the same is boring and static, being completely different is futile. A good relationship needs to encompass both aspects from both parties, if not it's not worht anyones time
Bageria

--------------------
Life isn't like they tell you it is in the movies.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 10:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies, if shriver thinks active and geek and female don't go together, it's his loss, not ours. We don't need him. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 13:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bageria:
I agree that just cause I'm a geek doesn't mean I'm not active. I love the outdoors and spend half my time camping (even in snow) I also work out. You can find time to work on a car, play the newest game, watch the latest SG-1, install new software and write a program, work out and camp, go to work and pull out the chains in the bed room. Just cause your a geek girl doesn't mean you have to be 300+ pounds eat ice cream while working on your newest prgram and nothing else. And NO it didn't prove your point at all.

Bageria

It's Doritos, not ice cream. [Big Grin]
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 14:10      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like I'd better be pretty careful where I tread from here on out... I guess what I meant by the original comment was that I tend to be more interested in girls that are athletic before geeky.

I didn't mean to start a flame war here, the main point was the question: Which do you think is more important-- common interest or unique traits?

I like Bageria's point that it takes a little of each.

I'm not sure if I can backpedal myself out of this one, though. maybe just an apology is necessary.

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 22:12      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find artsy girls are more my thing. Any of the more mathematically/technically intelligent girls I come across have weird social problems.

I like athletic girls - they have a good sense of self-respect, they play well with others, and, of course, they have *awesome* bodies (alright, well, excepting female linemen-- didn't mean to generalize). Seeing as to how I'm into boxing, Taekwondo/kickboxing, football, etc, a girl who is physically active will always receive some interest from me.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 11:41      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah boxing! Sport of the gods!

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 13:42      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

....and what God doesn't like punching someone in the face repeatedly?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 13:47      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trying to stay out of this one, and the other ladies have done a good job thus far of defending our kind, but I just want to give my own perspective about geek girls in general, with no offense meant to anyone.

There are a few of us that can actually use both sides of our brains. I am the most mathematically/technically minded girl that I know, but I am also an artist, and a good one. I also am not completely socially inept, while I do tend to steer away from social scenes where stupid people tend to congregate. In addition, I would say, I am far from a gelatinous blob that sits in front of the computer ALL day. I workout, and, yes, even lift weights. I would even say I have an "awesome body". So, lets get to the heart of the matter.

What I think any geek girl or guy is looking for is a well rounded, outgoing, thinking individual. People that I am interested in, romantically or otherwise, tend to be complex, with many different interests and talents. Yes, shared interests are nice. (The couple that programs together stays together.) But what we are really looking for is someone who can also teach us a thing or two, and it is also nice to spend time doing your own things.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 18:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Nah, God's more a wrestling kind of guy (Genesis 32:21-32). And none of that faked stuff, either [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by maia:
I workout, and, yes, even lift weights. I would even say I have an "awesome body". So, lets get to the heart of the matter.

You mean you posting pics of your butt, right? [Wink]
</GC cliche>

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 20:15      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Ask, and you shall receive. I told you it was awesome.

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 00:24      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.....lets just say that there is enogh for all of us.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 01:01      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

I'm still stunned by the rapid response and the fact we didn't need to harp on for years and years for her to post it. Unlike the original (and the best?) butt exhibitor.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 10:12      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I certainly wouldn't want to be the butt of any jokes. And I just don't think it's fair to keep my fans waiting.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 10:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a geek who definitely only has one side of his brain working. I can write software, solve problems, learn just about anything, and fix any problem, from cars to computers.

I have the creativity of a retarded fork.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 13:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

I'm still stunned by the rapid response and the fact we didn't need to harp on for years and years for her to post it. Unlike the original (and the best?) butt exhibitor.
Did you miss my "There is a god thread" in da club hizzle?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 15:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture