homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » To give or not to give (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: To give or not to give
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 17:49      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, there is this girl... duh.

Anyway was here to solicite some help ladies. She is a Chem geek and am a business/MIS geek. So she is smart. She has a beautiful smile. She talks to me(not really rare but she initiates at times). She likes to do theater stuff as an actress, I love running sound and lights (that is how I met her originaly), she is 3 years behind me in school.

Now I am one of those helpless guys who is moderatly good looking yet doesn't have the stones to ask anyone out (oh yeah if that isn't creepy enough I am a senior at University)Anyway, the perfect progresion would be coffee followed (if it goes well) with an invitation to go to the homecoming banquit (I go to a conservative religious university so we do that instead of a dance.)

Well just wondering do I give her a call or ask her face to face? Treading on unfamiliar gound here so advice from out lady friends around would be great.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 18:56      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well just wondering do I give her a call or ask her face to face? Treading on unfamiliar gound here so advice from out lady friends around would be great.

Well Gnome...
This is a tricky thing. You see, all girls are different... and unfortunately... you never know which one you have. Some girls like a guy who has enough "BAWLS" to call them up and ask them out. Other girls get "weird" and freak when you ask them out... and then they avoid you and your phone calls... and then you lose the friendship too. So, you need to ask yourself... are you asking her out in hopes of establishing more than just a friendship in the future... or are you asking her out as a friend. Once you establish that, you need to know her well enough to know if that would freak her out. If she might get scared... then tell her you want to go out... or take her to the dance... so you two as BEST friends can hang. Who knows, she might see you for more than a friend that night... and want more herself. Let me know how it goes. I hope this helps even a smidge.
 -

--------------------
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

Posts: 28 | From: ID | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 05:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you ever talk/hang out with her outside of school?

If you don't, try to get her to meet you and some mutual aquaintances out somewhere. And work from there. Just take it calm and easy. Amd remember, nothing ventured nothing gained.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 05:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Amd remember, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I prefer - "Fishing for a good time starts with throwing in your line." </Tom Waits>

...not that I would want to make any subliminal marine-odour connotations... [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 06:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And..

<TomWaits>You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops.</TomWaits>

or he could just say

<MoreTomWaits>And I'll be your Dick, honey, if you'll just be my Jane</MoreTomWaits>

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 12:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<WWCVD>
Show up naked, with beer.
</WWCVD>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 03, 2004 12:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon, TFD, FatGnome is looking to impress a girl, so it should be:

Show up dressed-up (e.g.: in tails), with champagne! [Wink] [Big Grin]

OK, vodka-based cooler can do if champagne's too costly an option. She will get drunk just the same. [evil]

(I was about to add something about her getting to bed more easily once drunk, but it's too dangerous for one's sanity to utter such a thing here. [crazy] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 12:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
<WWCVD>
</WWCVD>

Or if it is a special occasion, show up with beer, naked....wearing a single tube sock [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 13:02      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
<WWCVD>
</WWCVD>

Replace beer with flowers and/or jewelry and that might have a chance.

...unless her parents are over. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 13:25      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

Show up dressed-up (e.g.: in tails), with champagne! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Be sure to speak with a thick Walken accent.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 21:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed your plane?
WWCVD ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 22:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Missed your plane?
WWCVD ?

Damn, my cover is blown......and I was gonna show up at your place.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 11:49      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Or if it is a special occasion, show up with beer, naked....wearing a single tube sock [Wink]

Does it still count as naked if you are wearing a tube sock?

With the holiday season rapidly approaching (or already here, according to major retailers) I think wearing nothing but a ribbon and bow would be appropriate costuming.

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 11:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stockings might be an option too.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 13:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
quote:

Does it still count as naked if you are wearing a tube sock?

With the holiday season rapidly approaching (or already here, according to major retailers) I think wearing nothing but a ribbon and bow would be appropriate costuming.

You're always naked.....under your clothes.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 16:50      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh heh she actualy lives with her grandparents while she is at school. We don't generaly hang out outside of common activities (ie. drama and just waiting between classes and an occasional social event)

But I like the tubesock and beer idea... Pretty sure grandma would beat me to death though.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 17:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FatGnome:
But I like the tubesock and beer idea... Pretty sure grandma would beat me to death though.

Umm, I wouldn't have phrased it like it if I were you *shudders*

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 17:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by FatGnome:

Umm, I wouldn't have phrased it like it if I were you *shudders*
gmilfs *Ewwwwwwww*

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 18:32      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:

I would think that with the holiday season... the apprapo costuming would be naked with Mistletoe hung. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

Posts: 28 | From: ID | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mac*mama
Newbie Larva
Member # 3062

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 13:55      Profile for mac*mama   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am the oldest person here, so, I'm going to pipe in with years of experience under my belt.

Dear Shy Guy,

The absolute BEST thing to do is be completely honest and at the risk of EVERYTHING just walk up to this girl and tell her how you feel.

Now ... don't go overboard and come off creepy, just keep it simple. something like:

"I think you're really great and I would love it if you would have coffee with me this week. Is there a day/time that would be good for you?"

This is non-threatening and if she can't make time for you, you'll know she is NOT interested and can move on without losing face.

Otherwise, she WILL accept the coffee date, during which you can find out whether she is possibly interested in you as more than a friend, too.

I suggest arranging the date in person, so you can see expression and body language.

If she seems at all "freaked" or "uncomfortable" by your attention, you can easily say, "it's no big deal, I just thought it would be nice to get to know you better, but if you're not interested that's okay. No damage."

As nice as it would be, we can't make anyone love us. But, it's also nice to KNOW if you have a chance or not.

I know you are shy and it's not going to be easy to just walk up to your crush and do this, so just practice it in your mind a few times (imagine you are someone you admire who has any easy time with the ladies), and imagine her smiling and accepting your date. Keep this picture of her in your mind when you find a good moment (she should be alone and not with other girls) to approach her.

You can do this.

Even if she rejects you, you're getting some much needed practice and it will get easier the next time.

Remember -- if she does reject you, it's not YOU it's HER. We all have things that attract us in others, and you might NOT be that. That's okay. It's no one's "fault." But everyone is someone's type, and you'll find the right girl for you, if she turns out NOT to be it.

However, you will increase the odds that you ARE her type if you approach her with self-confidence and courage and sweetness and honesty and a little humor.

In love it is best to find out as quickly as possible whether someone is REALLY interested or just accepting a date not to hurt your feelings or because they haven't learned how to say no. And, believe me, a lot of girls in their 20s don't know how to say no. So make it as easy as possible for her to get out of the date without "rejecting" you. And then don't ask again so you don't put her in the position of having to be blunt. "Maybe" or "I'm pretty busy right now" really means "I don't know how to say No without hurting your feelings."

I hope that helps.

--------------------
Gayanna Magcosta
60-Minute Millionaire
---------------------
Making computers work harder,
so their people can make more
working less.

Posts: 7 | From: missoula, montana | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 16:20      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mac*mama:
I think I am the oldest person here, so, I'm going to pipe in with years of experience under my belt.

I doubt seriously that you are the oldest person here. I am probably right up there with you.

But I agree with you 100%. If you really like this girl, just go up and talk to her. Liklihood is, she probably likes you too and is just as nervous to ask you out.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 21:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
I doubt seriously that you are the oldest person here. I am probably right up there with you.

We have a few members here that are older than dirt.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 22:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Hey !
I resemble that remark !

--------------------

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 09:05      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole aproach in a hey you want to grab some coffee #####night was the way I was planning to do it. I really doubt that she would find it creepy.

--------------------

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2004 14:08      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey !
I resemble that remark !

Don't tell me we're going to need an age roll-call here!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture