homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » The Rules of Attraction (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Rules of Attraction
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 20, 2004 06:21      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you find attractive in another person?

Let's ignore the obvious, appearance. Although, what one finds visually appealing is different from another's opinion. It's a subjective experience.

What I am talking about is personality, attitude, humor, etc. An example...

When I am in the Dungeon, surrounded by programmers and techno-geeks of every sort, the variety of personalities composing the energy in that room is a smorgasboard for a geek-groupie, such as myself.

Random movie lines are shouted out. Sarcastic rants about other programmers abound. Arguments about who's code is better rumble in the background. Music, from Nine Inch Nails to Britney Spears, drifts quitely from various speakers.

I love it!

Some of these guys are quiet and unsociable. Some are quiet, but sociable. Some are, what could be considered, the "average Joe." Some are megalomanics obsessed with shouting out, "I am the smartest man alive!", on a regular basis. Some are the distracted sort, hardly ever completing a sentence, their minds zooming ahead to another subject before their mouths can catch up.

I like all of those different characteristics, even the megalomaniac. Why? It's the mind behind the man, baby!

I am just an average female. I know about the world of technology a little more than most average females because of the nature of my associations. I find discussions of programming, networking, etc. to be infinitely fascinating...even though, I don't understand half of what they are saying.

To me, Techno-Geeks are artists to the nth degree. They are a breed apart who use the capacity of their minds beyond most folks in any other profession.

Now, that's attractive!

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 06:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the kind of place I'd wanna work!

The only thing I have never had in all my jobs, that I wish I did was co-workers who DO WHAT I DO -- so I can talk to them about the program we're writing, or I can get into arguments about who's structure is better, etc.

But back to the original topic. What do I find attractive in another person aside from the physical aspect? Lots of things.

- Above all else, brains. If she can't think on her feet (insert cap'n vic joke about her being off her feet here), then she's not worth my time. If she can't finish a sentence without going, "and like", I don't want anything to do with her.

- Craziness. I know this is an odd one, but I'm a bit of a freak in some ways with my stupid habits, crazy outbursts, inane rants, and hatred for stupidity. I need her to be a little off her rocker too. Makes for a more interesting time.

- Independent, but willing to accept help when it's needed. There're too many women, as far as I'm concerned, who are either A) hopelessly dependent upon their significant others, or on the other end of the spectrum, B) are so independent, they won't let you grab a drink for them from the fridge when you're in the kitchen anyway. There needs to be a happy medium. I don't want her to be dependent upon me, but at the same time, there's no better feeling in the world than being needed, and being able to follow through and live up to those expectations.

- Witty. This one is not synonymous with brains. You can be smart, but have no wit. I need wit. I need someone who can make smartassed remarks and good rebuttals to my outbursts. I need someone who can challenge me. Otherwise, I'll get bored.

- Crazy little quirks. Everyone has their own crazy little quirks. Whether it's funny noises you make while eating, or snorting when you laugh, or mispronouncing some words no matter how hard you try. I usually find those silly little things incredibly attractive in significant others.

I think what I find attractive in another person is a little different from others', but what can I say, I'm not normal. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 08:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta add one more thing dnm.

Patience: Since I am one of those geeks that gets absolutely obsessed over a piece of software, making changes to config files, or even building and modifying car and computer parts. I have to be with someone that can either a. cope or b. be wqilling to wait.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 12:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh absolutely. How'd I forget that? I'm *so* bad for "Just one more minute."

Although, I'm a sucker for beautiful women, so if my SO just kisses me the right way, and says, "lets go".. my concentration goes OUT THE WINDOW and I can leave anyway. [Razz]

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 12:57      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like someone not boring. A square peg in a round hole sort of person.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 18:04      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
I'd like someone not boring. A square peg in a round hole sort of person.

you would be referring to former president Taft or so my history text book would have me believe.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 18:19      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
- Crazy little quirks. Everyone has their own crazy little quirks. Whether it's funny noises you make while eating, or snorting when you laugh, or mispronouncing some words no matter how hard you try. I usually find those silly little things incredibly attractive in significant others.

Have to agree with everything but the noises while eating thing... [Razz]

Have to agree with CommanderShroom about patience, too. I am a neat-freak and have been know to drive friends and family crazy. Everything has its place, darn it! Stop moving my stuffed tree-frog!

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 21:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Gotta add one more thing dnm.

Patience: Since I am one of those geeks that gets absolutely obsessed over a piece of software, making changes to config files, or even building and modifying car and computer parts. I have to be with someone that can either a. cope or b. be wqilling to wait.

Oh yeah...that's definitely a biggie. I know that I'm notoriously bad about stuff like this. Thankfully, my colleague is not giving me crap about taking later lunches these days, as our work hasn't been overlapping much at the moment. I have a thing about my lunch break - I stop and take a break when it feels appropriate to do so. I hate stopping what I'm doing when I'm on a roll, and leaving stuff incomplete. That, and lunch is relatively unimportant to me, but taking a break (particularly when I'm not getting paid for that time) is - though I sometimes take work related stuff with me. Today, I had to get Firefox & Vim onto my USB key before I left, and took a laptop with me, and finally debugged some faulty code of a coworker's while I was out. Now, he can eat his words about Firefox being crap, as it wasn't displaying properly due to his faulty code* (which IE was just barely able to display - their sloppy code acceptance does a disservice to everyone). Oh, and even if nothing ever comes of it, I shared a pleasant word (or three) with someone whilst out, so that's never a bad thing.

Now, where was I? Hmm...yeah, desirable attributes**. I think dnf got a lot of good stuff in. On the matter of wit - that's definitely a good thing. A corollary to that - she needs to be able to grok my oft dry, occasionally damp, humor. If she can't tell when I'm being flip, and when I'm not, that's probably a *real problem.*

While it would probably be one of those lame "almost dating yourself" situations, I can't help but think I'd fall madly in love with an equally fluent (or more so) Perl programmer. Someone who could sort out the hashes I make of things, and really just get it [hearts] .

It would be rather nice to find a sharp programmer out there, or at least someone with said tendencies. If only I could find this girl again with reasonable ease, I'd definitely like to get to know her a bit more - she's been able to spot errors in /my/ code, and point out algorithms for stuff, when I was ostensibly teaching her. It's nice to be challenged with code stuff every now and again - hell, it means someone actually understands what the heck your code does, and if they can think of a better way to do it, that's *great* in my book.

One minus I'll definitely throw out there, for me, anyway, is smoking. Why, oh why, must many cute, interesting girls smoke?! I do not want to be in that boat again, and yet I see a number of potentially interesting people smoking. Argh!

I don't think I'm much more capable of thought at this hour, so I'll spare the lot of you from any more of my incoherent ramblings now, and sleep. Buenas noches.

*I also reminded him: "Do you know who wrote Javascript? [Him: No] *Netscape*. So yeah, Firefox probably has the best implementation of Javascript out there."
**I hope never to hear about how Java calls their stuff by either this name, or some far more precious term.
***Why do I think these fall under a category Cap'n Vic once alluded to? *shrug* I'm a bit tired, and I'm probably just letting my fingers wander across the kbd, right along with my mind right now.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 04:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by klynn:

Have to agree with CommanderShroom about patience, too. I am a neat-freak and have been know to drive friends and family crazy. Everything has its place, darn it! Stop moving my stuffed tree-frog!

I'm diagnosed obsessive-compulsive. So yea, patience is a big thing.

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
While it would probably be one of those lame "almost dating yourself" situations, I can't help but think I'd fall madly in love with an equally fluent (or more so) Perl programmer. Someone who could sort out the hashes I make of things, and really just get it [hearts] .

While dating a woman who knows programming would be sexy and all, admittedly, I think I'd be kind of turned off if she turned out to be a better programmer than me. I'd feel like such a loser. [Razz]

quote:
One minus I'll definitely throw out there, for me, anyway, is smoking. Why, oh why, must many cute, interesting girls smoke?! I do not want to be in that boat again, and yet I see a number of potentially interesting people smoking. Argh!

Hell yes. Smoking is a disgusting habit. It smells bad, it looks bad, it's bad for your health, and I simply DONT date girls who regularily smoke. I can handle the odd cigarette like .. once a month because she's stressed, but anything beyond like.. 1 a week is too much for me.

Although if she smokes marijuana, while I don't agree with it, I don't particularily care.

quote:
***Why do I think these fall under a category Cap'n Vic once alluded to? *shrug* I'm a bit tired, and I'm probably just letting my fingers wander across the kbd, right along with my mind right now.

Your mind is much too small a think to let out on its own. [Wink]

Besides, letting your brain walk around on your keyboard probably isn't very healthy. [Big Grin]

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 09:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Smoking is a disgusting habit. It smells bad, it looks bad, it's bad for your health, and I simply DONT date girls who regularily smoke. I can handle the odd cigarette like .. once a month because she's stressed, but anything beyond like.. 1 a week is too much for me.

Although if she smokes marijuana, while I don't agree with it, I don't particularily care.

Perhaps because I am a smoker I don't have that particular problem. And I really don't see how pot is better. That stuff stinks too, on top of that little legality thing.

Though I don't really care about that either.

I guess if you don't smoke you wouldn't want to be with a smoker. Your call. But if it comes down to it. Is smoking such a deal breaker if everything else is right?

Now if it comes down to ...

He/She smokes in the livingroom of my house and in my car, burnt the f'n seat, etc.

Then there are issues about their respect for your feelings, it is only partially the smoking.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 13:01      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How 'bout if being around smokers makes you sick? Is it then justifiable to ask them to smoke when you're not around? And what about the whole kissing thing? Blech.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 13:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
How 'bout if being around smokers makes you sick? Is it then justifiable to ask them to smoke when you're not around? And what about the whole kissing thing? Blech.

Thankfully the kissing bit was never really an issue for me, as I never ended up tasting an ashtray, though it was a fear often on my mind. Being around a smoker in close quarters was really unpleasant though, and something I never want to go through again. I can stand outside with a smoker and hold a conversation (I do this not-so-infrequently with my boss), as I always try to keep good ventilation on my side.

But, man, I have been really disappointed when I see someone I had previously held an interest in, outside smoking. It's just a thought of "Oh well, another one bites the dust." BTW, there's no tactful way of saying "You don't smoke, do you?" to someone? I have no wish to even go down that road, as I just see it as a waste of time.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 13:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can handle the smell of weed a lot easier than tobacco. I puke when I smell tobacco. ugh.

It's all about smell to me. That's the worst smell in the world.

Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 13:42      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... BTW, there's no tactful way of saying "You don't smoke, do you?" to someone? I have no wish to even go down that road, as I just see it as a waste of time.

I don't see what's wrong with asking someone if they smoke. It's like asking someone if they drink coffee. If they say no, then you have something in common. If they say yes, then you can politely run away. [Big Grin]

I smoke, and I'm not offended when people ask...though usually it's other smokers looking to bum a cigarette. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 16:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually don't have to ask...I can smell the smoke on the smoker. But I might be weird like that.

Smoking isn't an instantaneous turn-off for me, but it does lose the person some points. I've never dated a smoker but I'm told it's like kissing an ash tray.

My criteria:
Smart: this is what will get me interested in you in the first place.
Nice: this one is self-explanatory. I don't like mean people. I especially don't like people who are nice to me but not nice to anyone else.
Funny: it helps if we can share a quirky sense of humor, especially since when I get stressed out or angry the smart-ass comments tend to fly.
Common interests: I like to play. If you don't like to play, we've got a problem.
Adventuresome: I'll show you new things if you show me new things, and then when the weather's too foul to go out and play we can sit around and discuss these new things.
Respectful: I need my space. You need yours.
Patient: for the same reason someone a few posts back mentioned, though in my case it's biochem that I obsess over. Peeling me off the bench is like peeling some of you off the computer.
Patient: I screw up. A lot.

Personally, I wouldn't want to date someone in my field. Especially since this department is so close knit. It would feel incestuous. It would also be, IMHO, kinda boring.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 18:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, interesting question...

If I were to answer from a past perspective, the number one thing I found attractive was if I thought the other person found me attractive (me, insecure, never! [Wink] ) I'm fairly easygoing, so I guess I figured anything else could be worked around. Oh, and the capacity for both silliness and seriousness as well, since I tend to mix both of them.

Now, I'm not sure. If I were ever in a position to be dating again, I'd have to carefully consider what I was looking for in a partner so as not to make the same mistakes again. Preferably without "Lets go for the complete opposite of my ex", which would be very tempting, but may not necessarily work either.

Oh, and I'd never date a smoker. Can't stand the smell (even on their clothes), and kissing would be .. ugh...

Edit: On reading dman's post, I'm not so sure that I'd want someone who is incredibly like me. I think a strong common set of interests is good, but it's also good for each person to have their own interests too, IMHO.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 18:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about if they only smoked pole?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 19:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth Xanthine:
I usually don't have to ask...I can smell the smoke on the smoker. But I might be weird like that.
Well Xanthine, I think you know that I'm pretty sharp about this one - I have a rather sharp sense of smell about smoke (and in general), but I have been caught by surprise a few times. It takes getting a bit closer to someone to really notice it if they aren't a really heavy smoker, and so I've been caught by surprise a few times. I remember this one girl, who I'd run into in school, with whom some pleasant discussions had transpired, and we were just starting to get to know each other better when we walked outside sometime, and she took out a cigarette, and lit up. That was a let down to me - I definitely had not noticed the smell of smoke on her before. I don't want to be rotten here, but I almost don't feel like getting to such a point and learning the hard way - it just feels like a waste of time, and a great annoyance. *sigh*

csk: I'm not looking to date myself, nor Jeannie Steinman, but it might be nice to find a fellow hacker, no? A geek can only dream...

Xanthine: Why do I find your comment about patience mildly amusing? [Wink]

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 20:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: I have no idea wtf UBB did to my last post but I'm trying it again.

quote:
Xanthine: Why do I find your comment about patience mildly amusing? [Wink]

/me whistles innocently
I have no idea. Ooh, look at the pretty birdies...

I don't know what's sadder. The fact I worked nine hours, went to an aikido class, and then went back to the lab to spend an hour doing something that could wait until tomorrow or the fact I was able to get a ride up here from someone in a similar situation. Being a grad student is not a job. It is not a choice. It is not even a lifestyle. It is a state of being. :/

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 23:05      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Ahh, but you forget my Christian fundie background. Those sort of shenanigans only happen after marriage (and then only if you're lucky [Wink] ).

Edit: Psst, dman, look here. And she's a python fan, so shows obvious signs of intelligence [Wink] Unfortunately (for you), she's got quite a little fan club on fark, so is probably inundated with offers atm.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2004 04:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

If she's good at it you can overlook other indiscretions. [Wink]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2004 08:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk: Ja/woot. Oh well, not gonna happen.

--------------------

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2004 21:32      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, I've always been attracted to guys who are into mathematics, especially if they are better at it than I am.

Allright so maybe I'm just strange in that regard...

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2004 21:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
For me, I've always been attracted to guys who are into mathematics, especially if they are better at it than I am.

I think we were accounting for that in the equation.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2004 22:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

I don't think that's strange. I met my husband in our calculus class. I barely passed that class and he got a B. We've been together for almost four years now.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture