homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » Why is it....?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is it....?
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 2 posted August 04, 2004 23:48      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that everytime I meet a girl/woman that I think is the one for me she turns out to be something totally not what I'm looking for? Just wondering... I don't have any difficulty finding a woman to be with but I'm really looking for someone to settle down with. The last one, while she did have two kids (not always a negative) lied to me constantly. Specifically about doing (drug name deleted). I'm really tired of all the strung out women out there... aren't there any sane women who are looking to settle down? I mean I hold a respectable job, I an very much a gentleman, and a nice guy... of course we all know the nice guy finishes last.

Anyway sorry for ranting here, I just thought this would be the best place to do it and maybe get some feed back.

~Richard

[edited 1]

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 06:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The short answer is no. There are no women out there who're just normal. At least I haven't found any. [Wink] You just gotta find one whose issues come across to you as mere intricacies.

I've never met a woman who wasn't at least one of: neurotic, crazy, mischievious, untrustworthy, weird, strung out, boring, etc.

Not to say guys are perfect. I know I have my issues.

But like I said, the issue is finding someone who you can deal with and enjoy, regardless of any of those things.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 06:49      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AS Patsy Clairemont says, "Normal is just a setting on your dryer!"

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 07:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I've never met a woman who wasn't at least one of: neurotic, crazy, mischievious, untrustworthy, weird, strung out, boring, etc.

You say that like it's a list of bad things. At least three things on that list attract me to a female [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 07:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I just say that Mrs. CSK is really stupid to give you up?!?!

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 08:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
May I just say that Mrs. CSK is really stupid to give you up?!?!

I'm glad you think so [blush]

Hmm, maybe I can print out this thread and send it to her as a "reference" of sorts. Or a puzzle, where she gets to work out which of the list I'm attracted to, and which ones she is (and any overlap) [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 08:30      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
of course we all know the nice guy finishes last.

Yes, indeed, the saying goes: "Nice guys finish last." However, it is important to note that the saying does *NOT* say: "Nice guys don't finish."

For it is true that nice guys DO indeed finish, they just tend to do so at a slower pace and later date then... uhm... un-nice guys. [Smile] And I believe that the nice guys, because of their patience, perciverence, and other descriptors that start with "p," will finish in a much more satisfied position, rather then being un-happily married all their lives, as seems to happen to many un-nice guys.

Also, if you think about it, statisticaly speaking, meeting someone who has the same or similar interests as you AND who has a personality that is compatable to yours AND who has a belief/moral system compatable to yours AND who you find attractice AND.... The chances are staggering!! [Eek!] I beleive there's a little more than just chance and luck at play, but that's me.

Good luck and keep your chin up. The finest gold passes through the hottest flames and all that. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 08:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Also, if you think about it, statisticaly speaking, meeting someone who has the same or similar interests as you AND who has a personality that is compatable to yours AND who has a belief/moral system compatable to yours AND who you find attractice AND.... The chances are staggering!! [Eek!] I beleive there's a little more than just chance and luck at play, but that's me.

Hmm, I'd only start looking if Mrs csk remarried someone else. So, my actual chances of finding someone else are

Pex_mrs_csk_finding_someone x Pcsk_finding_someone

Plus, those probabilities are further reduced since neither of us would date/marry a non-Christian.

You're right, looking at it from a purely mathematical point of view is incredibly depressing [Frown]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 08:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be crazy, be spontaneous, be nutty, marry a Jehovah's witness!

*ducks*

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 08:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop it, CSK, or you'll get me depressed too.

/me wonders how to compete with a "Crystal" for the affection of favorite most eligible man.

--------------------

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 09:52      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pperson_not_being_ex_mrs_csk=~6,000,000,000.
Pperson_of_preferred_gender =~3,000,000,000.
Even if your odds of finding someone just right for you are 1 in a 1,000,000, that makes 3,000 people who are just waiting for csk to come around.

Let some physics cheer you up. While it's highly unlikely that that population inversion would occur. The number of attempts photon's make are so high, that population inversion occurs all the time.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 10:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, but Ooby, don't forget to eliminate the parts of the female population who are unavailable due to age, marital status, religious beliefs, geography, etc.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 11:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that's gonna help the odds any. [Razz]
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 11:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly my point, newfie. [Razz]

EDIT: Thank you, Captain Obvious! [Wink]

--------------------

Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 6 posted August 05, 2004 11:38      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not really looking for sympathy, mostly I was just trying to set off some steam.

Also I'm not looking for someone normal, as I am not normal, the two would be completely incompatable. It's like trying to use an EISA modem in a PCI slot. I'm crazy, insane a little but mostly in a good way, at least that's what everyone that the Institute keeps telling me [crazy] . I'm just trying, like the rest of the world out there, to find someone who fits in at least a little. As a teacher I laugh at often might say "Drugs are bad mmmmkay."

Apparently there might less self destructive women in PA... hmmm have to check that out sometime.

Thanks all.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 12:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
I was not really looking for sympathy, mostly I was just trying to set off some steam.

Also I'm not looking for someone normal, as I am not normal, the two would be completely incompatable. It's like trying to use an EISA modem in a PCI slot. I'm crazy, insane a little but mostly in a good way, at least that's what everyone that the Institute keeps telling me [crazy] . I'm just trying, like the rest of the world out there, to find someone who fits in at least a little. As a teacher I laugh at often might say "Drugs are bad mmmmkay."

Apparently there might less self destructive women in PA... hmmm have to check that out sometime.

Thanks all.

Only a geek would come up with that PCI/EISA analogy.

Only a geek would understand and be able to sympathise with it. :|

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 23:33      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Only a geek would come up with that PCI/EISA analogy.

Only a geek would understand and be able to sympathise with it. :|

Hehe. One of the religious threads I was going to explain how Christianity and the church congregations around the place are like the Linux kernel and the plethora of distributions (the core part is the same, but the surrounding emphasis, purpose, etc can be very different. But they still all can rightly call themselves "Linux" or "Christians" respectively). But I wrote it off as way too geeky at the time.

So, given those probabilities we were discussing earlier, if I end up finding someone else years down the track, I expect mass conversions to religion by all you people, since it is very unlikely to happen by chance [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 06:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think that analogy would have worked perfectly. Especially in this group. [Big Grin]
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 14 posted August 06, 2004 14:49      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I think the analogy would work well... I'd particularly like to hear it more in depth [Smile]
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 19:28      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, to put it in musical terms: It's a theme and its variations. The Bible's teachings are the basis for Christianity (acknowledgement of sin, belief in salvation provided through Christ's death on the cross, confession of faith in Christ). That's the theme. The variations come in to play when people--with differences of perspectives and cultures--read the Bible and attempt to live their faith. Some people are going to have a rather ascetic view of Christian life; others will lean toward the Apostle Paul's view that "everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial." Some people have a fast and loud Christianity. Others play it with rubato and depth of emotion.

Clear as mud? [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture