homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » What is Love? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is Love?
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2004 11:15      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What is loooooooove anyway? Does anybody love anybody anyway?"

Howard Jones, probably a distant relative [Wink] . Brilliant song.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2004 11:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Howard Jones, probably a distant relative [Wink]

I'd have kept that one quiet. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 15:11      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with having a welsh surname? [Wink]
Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 15:33      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! My last name's Welsh. [Razz] Tom Jones is the greatest Welshman that ever lived. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 18:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Tom Jones is the greatest Welshman that ever lived. [Big Grin]

It's not unusual ... for Welsh folk to say that. [Smile]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 21:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The good thing about being Welsh is ....

... you can take a leek anywhere you want.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2004 07:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but you could never make it as a bookie.

--------------------

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 14, 2004 07:51      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I'd have thought 'Done Bookmakers' would be a pretty crap business proposition but they seem to be doing OK...

(end local reference)

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Desteny
Newbie Larva
Member # 2791

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 13:05      Profile for Desteny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in a similar situation as you. I think that high school wants to play some kind of mind warp on most people. Cliques are the main points of it, when it should be learning and such. That is restricted and people become segregated, some worse than others. People in high school are just...not nice. My solution was to get out early. Yes...heh. The best thing is to be patient and wait it out, though. People are going to be self centered and close minded for the rest of their lives. You obviously have some motivation and love for something...you've taken the time to learn a programming language. :-p

Don't let people get you down in high school. They aren't worth it, and a lot of the time their jokes backfire on them. Ah yes...the geekiest geek at my school was on prom court. It was a good day.

Anyways, getting off the topic. People suck. There are a ton of people that you can relate to out there, unfortunatly, nice and caring people seem to be the minority.

--------------------
SPOOOOOOOOON!

The Tick rocks :-p

Posts: 5 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 16, 2004 20:26      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY ((C)1911 Released April 15 1993) [devils]:

LOVE, n. A temporary insanity curable by marriage or by removal of the patient from the influences under which he incurred the disorder. This disease, like _caries_ and many other ailments, is prevalent only among civilized races living under artificial conditions; barbarous nations breathing pure air and eating simple food enjoy immunity from its ravages. It is sometimes fatal, but more frequently to the physician than to the patient.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 20:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, I love dict - two can play at that game [Wink]

quote:
From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03) [foldoc]:

love

What many users feel for computers.

"I don't really love computers, I just say that to get them
into bed with me". (Terry Pratchet)

[What did you expect in a computing dictionary?]

(1995-05-10)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cbouncey
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2809

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted June 24, 2004 12:19      Profile for cbouncey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love? What is love? It is that special feeling you get when you can hang out with someone and be yourself and not feel self concious about anything. And totally wanting to attack that person and devour them with your kisses. Ok, perhaps, that is more like rape. Well, I'm a girl and we can get away with stuff like that.

I want a geek...they are awesomely special. I like everything about your type. So smart, kind, funny, generous, bizarre yet unique, some shy, most not realizing how cute they really are. Behind the Clark Kent exterior, lies a gorgeous Superman in all of you.

You think girls are tough, hell, you have no clue what we want. It is NOT the gorgeous type...woman like that are stupid and suck. Screw Them (sure I know you would) what I mean is..they are not worthy of you guys. There are a lot of dumb woman with big breasts but no brains. Trust me after that night, by the morning after...you just sit there bored at their stupidity. Not all woman that are beautiful are dumb. Of course not, I would consider myself cute and pretty smart but that is just an opinion. Some are attracted to me, some aren't. Thats life and that is always the case, no matter what you look like. TV is not the real world. Don't try to be what you aren't, be happy with what you are and I promise you, you will get plenty of sex and love because there are plenty of woman that desire the same things as you.

Ok, I just wrote too much here. I better stop now. Say hi if you want.

--------------------
Geeks are the most special creation ever made. So overlooked, so under-appreciated, so unloved and yet so amazing, incredible, wonderful, smart and sweet.

Posts: 2 | From: Wappingers Falls, NY | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 25, 2004 02:04      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and welcome to GC! Don't worry, you didn't write too much, keep going if you want. Some of that stuff was really nice, might pass it on as a hint [Wink]

Oh, and I'm going to steal your .sig for my quotes file [Big Grin]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 02:44      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, that original post sounds like me.. MMmmah, it's been such a long time since I've been around quiggy geeks.. *cough* Anywho, umm.. yes, love.. Whew, emotions are tough for me, I don't feel much other than anger, except when I'm around me special geekette, Twinkle Toes. Uhh.. That whole schtick aboot the cuteness of geeks made me smile, heh.. Only person to ever say I, in particular, am cute is my Geekette..
Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drasca
Assimilated
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 06:45      Profile for Drasca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love ain't marriage.
Love ain't sex.
Love isn't mood rings.

Love is utterly impractical. Cherish it.

--------------------
-Drasca
"To dream is the most wonderful and foolish thing there is"

Posts: 400 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
frostgard
Newbie Larva
Member # 2810

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 05, 2004 21:46      Profile for frostgard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to get trashed for this one, but here goes...

I personally am of the unpopular opinion that men and women aren't all that different. It mostly seems to be a difference of scale-- men are encouraged to like big things (cars, sports arenas, war) and women are encouraged to like littler things (shoes, kids, rumors). Now that we have reliable birth control and are allowed to own property, biology is no longer destiny. [Wink] Both genders would like the same things if they were allowed to. I should know; I have guns.

I won't give you a big thing on love, since I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I do have a couple things to help you understand other people. Try studying communications instead of philosophy (we won't go into my opinion of Socrates), and study sign language to improve your grasp of body language (ASL, not SEE, please).

If you really are manic-depressive, get help. There are decent meds for it that won't make you sick, and may help with your self-loathing. Or you could just try doing something to be proud of. You can't have high self-esteem until you have something to hook it to.

As to Christianity, all that "loving god" imagery is fairly recent. If you read much of the Bible, it is full of killing and vengence. And dietary guidelines, for some reason. Exodus 34:26 "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk."

OK, I guess I have offended enough people for one post.

Posts: 9 | From: Mars | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2004 06:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as I read this topic name, I got that damned "what is love?" song stuck in my head. You know, the one featured in "A Night at the Roxbury" with Will Ferrill and Chris Kattan.

I will have to disagree with the last post. I think men and women are very different.

Men operate on logic.
Women operate on emotion.

Most of the time, logic and emotion share a common goal/belief. Other times, they're complete opposites. I'm not saying that men possess no emotional traits, and women possess no logic, but I believe, for the most part, that's how it goes.

But I'll have to also agree with one of the previous posts. Love is looking at someone, and realising you are very interested in spending the rest of your life with them. Realising that you don't have to pretend, lie, or act different from your real self around them to be accepted. Love is feeling comfort in their very presence.

That's all I have to say about that.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
frostgard
Newbie Larva
Member # 2810

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2004 18:08      Profile for frostgard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Good one, Newfie!! I have 3 brothers, and I have yet to see them operate by logic! Not to mention my ex-husband, several friends' husbands, and even the genius-level-IQ guys I have known. Just because your system of making decisions makes sense to you, and not to us (and vice versa), doesn't mean that either gender is or is not logical. In fact, I would go with NEITHER gender being logical, any more than any other creature.

...I wonder if anyone has ever researched gender differences in decision-making processes of lab rats?...

Posts: 9 | From: Mars | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2004 20:08      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...I'll still never forget Nemo's response in a similar thread years ago, when I first signed on:

love leaves you bleeding at the side of the road (not sure exactly, but that's close)

I tended to agree with her, but what a difference 2 years makes. Now I'd say it's....magic. [Happytears]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2004 20:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frostgard:
...I wonder if anyone has ever researched gender differences in decision-making processes of lab rats?...

After careful study of myself and my colleagues, all I can say is female lab rats tend to focus a little bit more on how people are going to feel about the situation, but just a little bit.

However, we lab rats aren't exactly normal people so any data that comes from studying us should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless your interested in seeing what happens when you throw a bunch of nerd together and let them nerd away into oblivion. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2004 21:09      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Unless your interested in seeing what happens when you throw a bunch of nerd together and let them nerd away into oblivion. [Razz]

That might get you some kind of crazy website. [crazy]

[Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 01:29      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Heh...I'll still never forget Nemo's response in a similar thread years ago, when I first signed on:

love leaves you bleeding at the side of the road (not sure exactly, but that's close)

I tended to agree with her, but what a difference 2 years makes. Now I'd say it's....magic. [Happytears]

Magic, aye.

But a well-placed hex can leave you bleeding at the side of the road. [Wink]

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 01:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or as someone said once (I can't remember who)

quote:
It's better to have loved and lost, than to have fallen through the blades of a combine harvester

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 08:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still find myself hearing that damn 'a night at the roxbury' song when I read this thread name.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 19:50      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I still find myself hearing that damn 'a night at the roxbury' song when I read this thread name.

You know what, so do I. Weird.... [Geek]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture