homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Men are no longer the devil...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Men are no longer the devil...
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2008 13:19      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you heard it from me first.

I have no men to complain about at this time. I know, it is hard to believe, but true. Not really sure where me and this mystery guy are going to wind up just yet, but I couldn't be happier [Big Grin] How is everyone else on here doing with relationships? This has been such a quiet topic lately? Anyone???

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2008 14:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess - I'm pleased to hear you are having a good time. It is one of life's joys to have the opportunity to explore a new relationship, but there will always be one overriding principle to remember....
"There are many ways to have fun, and there are just as many ways to stay safe."

But to answer your question....

Just over 10 years ago I found myself saying the words "For richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health..." and it seems the Gods are going to call my bluff on that one! Still, if you find someone worth keeping, as I have, you'll find little time for regret. Yeah, shit happens, but the Sun will still come up in the morning if you want it to.

So, whether you and the new guy have a few weeks or months together, or whether this one is for life, I hope the relationship brings you what you are looking for. Mine has.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2008 18:16      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently working on this weird, convoluted mess of something that kind of looks like a relationship. I'm not quite sure what's going on yet, and that's mostly because the both of us fail at planning anything, but yeah... I'll keep the lot of you posted.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2008 18:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm writing up and doing experiments and kreziserb is getting tired of me dragging myself home after 10 pm. So he bullied me into taking yesterday off.

It was a guilt-ridden pleasure, but if he really wanted to help me, he'd cook me dinner more than once a fortnight.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 22, 2008 13:12      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I promised an update, and I guess I'm in one of those relationship things I keep hearing about. I'm wicked excited, and am still trying to figure out how this whole convoluted mess got started, but yeah, I'm happy about it, and I have to agree with geekygoddess on this one, men aren't the devil.

*Edit*: apparently it's still a weird confusing mess, not a relationship... oh well, hopefully this all figures itself out...

/me sighs

Damn.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 14:54      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to learn of this openness toward men.

My wife and I will soon celebrate 39 years of being married. It has not always been easy - there were some rough times in the early years.

Beyond that, all I can attest to is that I cannot imagine attaining to the level of joy we share with one another, nor to being nearly so joyful in life without such a stable, loving, supportive relationship.

YMMV, etc.

FWIW

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 22, 2008 23:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess... mag valour on your relationship, and three cheers for your Mystery Man who is seems to be representing us males in a no-longer-the-devil light. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 01:04      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, yay for men no longer being the devil - I long ago learned that you need to keep your enemies close [Wink]

Congrats, geekygoddess! Let us know how everything goes... and you too, SpazGirl, hope you get out of confusing mess territory soon [Smile]

On Halloween my boyfriend and I celebrate our two year 'anniversary'... which is hard to believe, given that I remember posting about when we'd just started seeing each other and I wasn't sure if it was a relationship yet and blah-blah-whine-whine-I'm-gonna-be-alone-for-the-rest-of-my -natural-life-until-they-invent-robot-boyfriends-you-can-buy-at-the-supermarket.

Er, yeah. So if things can work out for me, surely everyone has a shot [Razz]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 03:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes we are.
But you'll get used to it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 23, 2008 06:02      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait, men once were the devil?

certain specific men are indeed devil like, as are in fact the occasional female, but as a whole this is not true....

...besides, to follow up TFD, maybe you will get used to it.

or, to quote a hilarious fantasy style demotivation poster i once saw, "A demon watches over me: look, who do you want on your side, a feathered harp playing moralizer, or something that eviscerates the things that piss it off?"

just saying. [Wink]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 18:15      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course men are not the devil...

Unless of course you want us to be... I mean...
You know, whatever you ladies would like, were flexible. [Big Grin]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 08:54      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gf calls her other boyfriend "Devil Nerd", but it's a term of endearment, because he's actually a nice guy, even if he did rick-roll her webcomic because she didn't have a new strip ready.

As for my relationships, I commented to my wife the other day "Y'know, if the worst thing I have to complain about is that my gf lives too far away, things must be pretty darn good." And they are.

--------------------
We've succeeded when a Linux release is front page news.

Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2008 17:32      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the relationship and the change in mind on men.

I'm in that odd phase where I want a relationship again after a year and a half and be able to give someone my love. However, engineering has me really tied down everyday from 8:30 am till midnight.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 16:24      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm swearing them off for awhile. Went on a few horrible dates, then was seeing someone for about 2 1/2 months. I broke up with him ("broke his heart," he says). Now my friends are (jokingly?) calling me the "man eater." Ah, well. [Razz]
Posts: 79 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 18:01      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekgoddess,
I know how you feel all too well. It took me over a year to find this one, I am not letting him go anytime soon. On a lighter note, at least you only wasted 2 &1/2 months on that guy, I have wasted years on men that were not for me. Good to see you around here again. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2008 21:01      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, I'm picking up the whole dating thing pretty quickly. I dated the one before him for 3 years ( 2 1/2 year living together). From that I learned that its wayyyyyy cleaner to get out early on. I should have listened to my gut but I naively believed that love conquered all. The next one is going to have to wow me for me to stick around very long. [Smile]

--------------------
Geek chic!

neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2008 04:36      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekgoddess:
Now my friends are (jokingly?) calling me the "man eater." Ah, well. [Razz]

Woah-oh here she comes! She's a man eater! Woah-oh here she comes! Whatch out or she'll eat you up!

On a more serious note. Yes. Much easier earlier on. It's sad to say, alot of us can probably share a few examples, haha.

Congratulations on the ability to learn from the past! You should be proud of yourself ^_^

Edit: Oh! And, Yes. Men *are* still the devil. Just not all of them all the time. It's ok though. You learn to live with it, as was stated earlier.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 12:39      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, in typical fashion, I get a text last night from aforementioned guy asking to see me. I tell him that I have to be at work early this morning so its not a good idea. Then he asks permission to call me, so I say yes. We talk for like 15 minutes and he spills about how much he's missed me, how he's totally ready to be serious and the thought of me being with anyone else kills him and will I come over to discuss it. I keep telling him no until it becomes apparent that he's not going to give up and is actually really upset.

I go over there, he unloads on me about how he wants nothing more than me to be his girlfriend, how he was really immature before but the distance has given him some time to consider how amazing I am and how good we are together. I tell him that based on previous events I find it really hard to believe his sudden change of heart and the fact that he actually wants to be in a RELATIONSHIP-relationship. Blah blah blah.

I really like this guy and we've got super good chemistry, but a month of absence (after me breaking up with him) wouldn't really give him THAT kind of perspective, would it?

Any thoughts?

neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 16:25      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sort of question is hard to answer, in my opinion. It is easy to give some broad sweeping statement that generalizes all men. But, the honest truth is, while generally all very simple creatures, men can be very complicated to nail down sometimes. (Whereas you women tend to be completely complicated in every way.)

That being said, I will tell you the same thing I told my friend last night: men don't change.

Of course, this is a broad statement. Everybody changes with time, really. It's the big things that rarely change though. We tend to be creatures of habit. Most men behave the same at 30 as they do at 60. Of course, individual mileage may vary.

Best thing I could suggest is to take it slow. The mistake most often made "trying again" isn't the actual trying again, but jumping right back into the relationship where it left off.

You can't unlearn the things you know about each other but you can act like this is someone you're going out with on a first date. The idea here is to see if he is actually different, or only saying he is.

Of course, my advice must always be taken with a rather large block of salt. I'm rather jaded on the subject of inter-personal relationships. But, most often what I see is the "I've changed/matured/grown up/etc" statement isn't usually an actual lie to the person they're telling. More of a lie to themselves.

There are the instances where it's true though... SO, in summary: I dunno o_o

I do know there are many things that have changed about myself - my behavior or beliefs or whatnot - that have occurred almost overnight, if not overnight. An epiphany about your life, and what makes you happy in it can be a good thing (Or a horribly depressing one, depending on what makes you happy [Razz] )

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture