homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Friends??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friends???
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2008 11:11      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you just be friends with someone of the opposite sex (that you find attractive) or, is there always going to be the whole issue of wanting to go "bowling"? And let's say you have already bowled a game or two with this person, how hard is it now to remain only friends? [crazy]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2008 11:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Can you just be friends with someone of the opposite sex (that you find attractive) or, is there always going to be the whole issue of wanting to go "bowling"?

While it may not be possible to completely eradicate one's bowling urges with said person, it needn't become an awkward hindrance. Only if you let it. [Wink]

quote:

And let's say you have already bowled a game or two with this person, how hard is it now to remain only friends? [crazy]

V. tough, I would have thought. Doesn't everyone want just one more frame? [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2008 11:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Tis certainly possible to just be friends with members of the opposite sex. [Smile]

While there's something to be said for 'friends with benefits,' it can be an awful mindfsck and spungo probably hit the nail on the head. (On that note, it's probably a good thing that I lost a certain phone #. [Razz] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2008 18:26      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a couple went bowling and both people weren't bowled over, then friendship, at best, is the future outcome.

Also, what if the sex is great, but there are issues outside the bedroom that keep you from being a number?

I had sex with my best friend. She is a very beautiful and sexy woman. But the sex was just ... you're my best friend.

We're still best friends. If she stays late at my house she can sleep in my bed. But we're still best friends and the sex isn't the reason why.

What we've found out is that we can go out together, and just being out together helps the other find new dates.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 01:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can you just be friends with someone of the opposite sex (that you find attractive) or, is there always going to be the whole issue of wanting to go "bowling"?

Well, I can. YMMV.

quote:
And let's say you have already bowled a game or two with this person, how hard is it now to remain only friends? [crazy]

Not hard for me. Depends mostly on whether the other person can. Again, YMMV.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 14:04      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It ultimately depends on how strong your friendship is. How much do you value each other as friends vs. "bowling" partners? If the friendship is paramount, I think you can remain friends, but know there will be an adjustment period.

Now, if you're good friends, and the "bowling" was excellent, you might want to consider being more than friends. But, I don't really know the situation, just sayin'.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2008 18:52      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can you just be friends with someone of the opposite sex (that you find attractive) or, is there always going to be the whole issue of wanting to go "bowling"? And let's say you have already bowled a game or two with this person, how hard is it now to remain only friends? [crazy]

Well, to take things literally, I've bowled with my friends of the opposite sex all the time, even in large groups with strangers.

but seriously, the reason why I am never planning on having sex with my best friend of the opposite sex is because we both decided that it would be really weird if we did. I mean, she is really attractive, and there have been times where I was jealous of extra attention she was giving other guys, but I like things the way they are now, and don't want to mess everything up just for a little sex. But hey,if you can make it work, go ahead.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
MC43
Newbie Larva
Member # 19835

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 03:58      Profile for MC43     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm...

Well, there is the wanting and the availability of going bowling with these people, and then there's approaching the front doors with this person, only to watch them leave you and enter with some other schmuck.

...Ok, so I harbor some resentment for one of my best friends for constantly ignoring my advances, but why wouldn't she after 6 years of friendship?

Hm... I'm not going to make this about me though. Is it possible to have a friendship without bowling? Oh yes, it is. Will the issue come up, I bet it will once or twice, but if you can overcome it, then it will only make the friendship stronger because of it. That's my view anyway...

--------------------
(Inster Witty, humorous or insightful remark here!)

Posts: 8 | From: Left of Right. Look for me | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 11:02      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my good friends bowled with a good friend. They decided to remain friends. I think the fact that the bowling wasn't great made this easier for them.

However later boyfriends and girlfriends didn't like the fact that they had bowled, when they found out.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mangler
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 06:36      Profile for Mangler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While most females find no problem in being 'just friends' with members of the opposite sex, it is quite the opposite for most men. Men just want to see you naked. If they think they have a shot at that now or even a bit further down the road, then they will attempt to make it appear as a friendship. This is poor thinking on the male behalf, btw, because we all know that odds of moving from the 'friends' list to the 'lovers' list are not in our favor.

--------------------
I'm in ur Internets... stealin' ur infoz.

Posts: 10 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 09:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mangler:
While most females find no problem in being 'just friends' with members of the opposite sex, it is quite the opposite for most men. Men just want to see you naked. If they think they have a shot at that now or even a bit further down the road, then they will attempt to make it appear as a friendship. This is poor thinking on the male behalf, btw, because we all know that odds of moving from the 'friends' list to the 'lovers' list are not in our favor.

CHALLENGE!
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 11:32      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Men just want to see you naked.

Not all men.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 11:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:

Not all men.
Yeah not all men want to see a woman naked. Some of them prefer to see other men naked.
Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mangler
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 11:52      Profile for Mangler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Precisely why I ended the previous statement with the qualifier, 'most men'... didn't feel the need to repeat it.

And it wasn't a challenge. I think that would be a waste of time to pursue that endeavor. I think the 'three date rule' is genius, personally. For those not aware, the 'three date rule' states that if you don't score on the first three dates, move on to someone else. After all, a woman decides fairly quickly whether or not she's going to sleep with you--I'm not sure if it's within the first five minutes as I commonly hear, but it is definitely within the first three dates!

--------------------
I'm in ur Internets... stealin' ur infoz.

Posts: 10 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 11:56      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know within the first five minutes!!! [Big Grin]

But, we reserve the right to change that at any given time. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 12:24      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Geekygoddess wrote:
But, we reserve the right to change that at any given time.

And that in a nutshell is why I had to give up. [Razz]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 12:52      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aghhh, HalfVast, you can't give up!!! The best things usually happen when you're not looking, or so they say. Besides, you don't wanna end up like Steen do ya??? [crazy]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 13:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HalfVast, I think she's trying to tell you something.

YOU GOT TO GET ON DAT!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 23:21      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:

Not all men.
Yeah not all men want to see a woman naked. Some of them prefer to see other men naked.
I knew someone would pick that up and run with it. [Cool]

--------------------

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2008 05:42      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:

Not all men.
I knew someone would pick that up and run with it. [Cool]
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! [Big Grin]

The whole subject reminds me of the quote from "When Harry Met Sally". However, that said, I have plenty of male friends, but I would never date them. They're mostly colleague from work. And I have a general rule about "dipping the pen in corporate ink". Anyway, good luck, geekygoddes. [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 05, 2008 07:26      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its funny, this makes me laugh every time this topic comes up....

the overwhelming majority of my friends are of the opposite gender, and i do not have, nor have i had, the desire to "bowl" with any of them. which is good, cause many are married, some are gay, and i am married, so that works well all around. [Wink]

the funniest part about the situation to me is that while many a romance discussion points out that men are often unaware that they are being hit on, even when it is with a hammer (figurative speaking) women generally know they are being hit on even when the guy thinks he isn't hitting on her and he is working hard to be in the "only friends" category!

i suspect that this is why i have a lot of female friends, is they know they can stop worrying about "bowling" coming up.....

...though i admit i am starting to like the "bowling" reference. i may have to go text the wife and ask if she wants to pick up a spare or two tonight and see what her reaction is. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 10:38      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Aghhh, HalfVast, you can't give up!!! The best things usually happen when you're not looking, or so they say.

Well, if you're into blindfolds that is.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 00:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shentzu:

...though i admit i am starting to like the "bowling" reference. i may have to go text the wife and ask if she wants to pick up a spare or two tonight and see what her reaction is. [Big Grin]

Gutter ball?

/rimshot

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 20:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey...you can keep that last bit to yourself, Vic...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 10:58      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the gutterball or the rimshot? [Eek!]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture