homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » How far will you go? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How far will you go?
Definitely Helen
Maximum Newbie
Member # 14084

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 10:45      Profile for Definitely Helen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by Definitely Helen:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
...I consider 30 miles to be a bit of a nuisance. (Hopefully I /should/ have the English/Europeans in my corner on that one...as 100 miles is a *long* distance for them...

100 miles? Hmm... That'd be, what, 3 time zones? ...4, maybe, depending on Daylight Saving Time, I guess... Prolly also need a visa...

You talking about the US or the UK there? 'Cuz where I live, you can drive 100 miles and not even leave the state, never mind the time zone.
UK. I've never been to the US.
Sorry, I could/should have been clearer.

Posts: 17 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 13:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, that was sort of the point of my nearly year-old post. ;P

Kind of funny how the local sentiments can sink in, though.

I drove a few hundred miles in England and I was feeling thoroughly worn out. I've done the same in the States and it felt substantially more normal. (Hell, few weeks ago, I drove to and from Boston in one evening, and went to work the next morning. Don't ya just know that the next day all hell broke loose and I had to stay 'til 11...did *not* need that.)

The roads are so much more civilised [sic], though. The "Services" that can be found every ~50 miles on the M4 & M5 are really quite nice. We'd be so lucky if some of our roads had anything nearly so good. I gave in to English sensibility and stayed in a roadside hotel one night, even thought I was doing less distance than NY to Boston. Granted, it was a dark and story night. (*groan*) However, the good thing to come from all that is the ability to laugh in the face of grim weather here: "This is rain?! I've driven through rain in England, and this is /nothing/. I mean, come on, you can still see the road!"

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 14:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time zones tend to be about 1000 miles across (although political borders alter this), so 100 miles will only get you from one time zone to a second unless you're in a boat off the shore of Iceland.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 15:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Helen: Well, I laughed... [Smile]

/que_pena

P.S. The motivation for the original comment is a saying from across the pond:
"In England, 100 miles is a long distance; in the United States, 100 years is a long time."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 17:29      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen: I laughed, too. I don't think most people realized how firmly your tongue was planted in your cheek. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Definitely Helen
Maximum Newbie
Member # 14084

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 00:58      Profile for Definitely Helen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Helen: I laughed, too. I don't think most people realized how firmly your tongue was planted in your cheek. [Razz]

Mmhm... Dry Brit humour, I'm afraid...

...*le sigh*...

But I meant no offense to anyone here, though, I should add - I wasn't snarking or anything, I was genuinely trying to make an amusing comment.

I mean, everyone knows 100 miles would put you on an entirely different continent anyway... [Wink]

Posts: 17 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 06:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how many laps would a thousand miles be? [Razz]
Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 07:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think it's interesting that you actually -can- go through three time zones in 100 miles somewhere besides the north and south poles even if everyone did miss the point of my post. [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 04:38      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are all getting off topic here!!!

I originally thought I could not handle a LDR, but now, I think I could. I would rather have one weekend of wonderful every so often then none at all. Geez, I'm all mushy this morning [hearts]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 20:20      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, HalfVast, How did it go with your situation? I think we are all curious to know how things turned out. [crazy]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 14 posted October 07, 2008 08:49      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Goddess I had an excellent weekend on my meet up and it went better than I could have hoped. Her
and I will definitely be seeing each other again. I've decided that a good LDR is possible after all.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASCII_Freak
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 23815

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 01:06      Profile for ASCII_Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I think LDRs can always work, assuming your boyfriend doesn't break up with you to avoid hurting you. [Roll Eyes]

It's a funny story, actually. My friends didn't approve of my boyfriend (2ish hours away) so they stole my phone, broke up with him, deleted all my text messages and his contact out of my phone (Thand goodness they had made me call him earlier so his number was in my Recent Calls.) We agreed to pretend it never happened, but then I got stupid and kept complaining to him that my closest friends like hated me (They weren't really that great, I shouldnt've wasted my time) and he decided that it was more important for me to have friends at home than to keep dating him.

The stupid, selfless jerk. [hearts]

At any rate, we're friends now and don't talk that often. I still kind of wish I knew what we could've been, but I'm starting to sound like a cliche'd country song so I'll stop. [Big Grin]

If you recognize yourself in this, please realize that the people in question and I have stopped hanging out. I have a different circle of friends who were more than willing to have me back. And if you're still even remotely interested in me, I'd love to go out with you again.

(I'm putting this here because it's highly possible he has seen this forum before, him being a geek and all. [Big Grin] Cute geek guys, heck yes!)

--------------------
Yeah, I officially can't think of something original and witty to say here.

Posts: 1 | From: The Instrument Room | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 05:03      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let me first start off by saying welcome to the forum [Applause]

Then off onto the subject at hand, old as it may be.

Many of you will of course be aware my first ever girlfriend I met on GC. From that experience, I can tell you that I believe an ldr can work out, yes.

But, they are fantastically difficult to maintain sometimes. In my case though, it wasn't the distance that got to us in the end. It was my ineptitude which did that.

To this day I wonder if things would have worked out the way we had wanted if I had managed to move closer. But, secretly I know they probably wouldn't have. LDR or not, a successful relationship often requires a much higher level of emotional maturity than I possessed then - probably more than I possess now for that matter. [tired]

Having started a few relationships the old-fashioned way since then however, I have to say that I think that an LDR can be very much better option for the beginning of a relationship. But, ymmv [ohwell]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 16:07      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a LCR can work out, as long as there are plenty of visual aids. [Big Grin] Just sayin'

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 16:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
But, they are fantastically difficult to maintain sometimes. In my case though, it wasn't the distance that got to us in the end. It was my ineptitude which did that.

Sounds similar to my own experience. Particular mistakes can amplify relationship trouble in LDRs. While I can't take all the blame for the failed relationship, I know my lack of assertiveness was a major cause.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 18:13      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Geekygoddess wrote:
I think a LCR can work out, as long as there are plenty of visual aids. [Big Grin] Just sayin

With this in mind both parties should own digital cameras. This is IMPORTANT! Trust me.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 14:26      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/agree with GG and Halfy

Very very important.

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2008 18:27      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just upgraded to a Fuji Finepix 8MP digital camera, it takes awesome shots. I sold my old 2MP HP315 on Amazon for $20. Someone paid me $20 for it OMG!.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2008 18:29      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maggs:
[QB] I just upgraded to a Fuji Finepix 8MP digital camera, it takes awesome shots. I sold my old 2MP HP315 on Amazon for $20. Someone paid me $20 for it OMG!. I might be moving to Boston to date a girl, she has a boyfriend though, but she does talk to me on myspace late at night. Maybe she doesn't want him anymore.

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2008 19:12      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
she has a boyfriend though, but she does talk to me on myspace late at night. Maybe she doesn't want him anymore.
Uh, you may want to research that more thouroughly before relocating. Just saying...
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2008 10:53      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
quote:
she has a boyfriend though, but she does talk to me on myspace late at night. Maybe she doesn't want him anymore.
Uh, you may want to research that more thouroughly before relocating. Just saying...
I'm relocating because the taxes and the shitty service in NY blows. They are going to raise fares, she would just be an added bonus. I doubt she'll break up with her bf because of me.
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2008 21:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far will I go?

To hell and back seems to be the standard distance for these kinds of things. Give or take a few kisses.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tugguy19
Maximum Newbie
Member # 20132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 14:55      Profile for tugguy19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think LDR can work fine. I'm a merchant seaman, have been for 35 years and I've been married for 27. I have had various different schedules over the years, but for the last 20 yrs or so I will go to work on the boat for 3 weeks, than I will come home for 3 weeks. The 3 weeks away can be tough, but the 3 weeks home is like a honeymoon.
If you pick the right girl to marry, trust them and respect them, then it can work out just fine.

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 02:26      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tugguy19:
If you pick the right girl to marry, trust them and respect them, then it can work out just fine.

A very important key, to be sure...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture