homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Online dating, what's your take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Online dating, what's your take?
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 04, 2008 01:28      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea or nay?

--------------------
Geek chic!

Posts: 79 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 01:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say 'nay,' w.r.t. to dating sites, but YMMV.

I do know of some people who have done alright, but then again, a friend of mine and I have seen a pretty horrific pairing that resulted from one of them, and we feel awfully bad for one of the two parties.

I could also be tempted to make some silly remarks, but I'm not feeling quite witty enough ATM. [Razz] Besides, I don't think I've quite been able to pick my jaw up off the ground after the end of this week's bit o' Who.

And just because I can't think of some kind of footwear-related-lines, doesn't mean I can't be frivolous. Since the other geek*goddess has possibly gotten our quirky-links-fellow a bit preocccupied, allow me to drop a grand link in, courtesy of b3ta:
http://b3ta.com/links/Elemental_Cup_Of_Brown_Joy_Dir_Moog

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 04, 2008 02:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met my wife online... so sometimes I lean towards yea and sometimes towards nea.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 04:48      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's a reason to limit yourself with regard to where you are open to meeting people, but I think you should be careful about dating with intent. There are a lot of people out there who are willing to lie, to tell you what they think you want to hear, so that they can use you to satisfy their own needs (not just physical needs, you pervs). It's easier for them to lie to you online, and harder for you to catch them and prove it, and they know that.

I think the best relationships grow out of friendships. I met the person I'm with online, but not through a dating site (GC, as a matter of fact). It was several years before we decided to try a relationship.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 06:37      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my 2 cents... What I like about online dating is that you really get to know the person mentally first. I have put alot of energy, in the past, to just the physical aspects, which makes for hot sex, but that is usually about it. This way you get to really know the person and see if you want it to go somewhere other then just friends. And I also believe that all the best relationships have started out as friends first. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 12:52      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until they perfect online sex, I'll stick to traditional means.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2008 09:32      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My college roommate met her husband online, back in 1995. A former co-worker met a wonderful man online (2001), but the "long-distance" (two hours each way) killed it in the end.
My online dating experience usually ended in disappointment.

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

Posts: 29 | From: In the Heart of the Seven Mountains | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2008 09:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteSD39:
My online dating experience usually ended in disappointment.

Thus far, all my romantic relationships that originated offline have ended in varying degrees of negativity, and all but one of the romantic relationships that originated online.

(What defines a relationship ending in disappointment? Is there ever a relationship where the ending doesn't disappoint in some way? Well, unless the relationship up to that point was an absolute nightmare, dating a psychopath or something. Then I guess the ending would be a relief. But I don't think we can really qualify one where the simple fact that it's over is reason for joy as a success.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2008 10:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst fallout from dating people I met on the internet: They broke up with me.

Worst fallout from dating people I met in person: I've been shot at and stabbed.

Imma have to go with yay internet dating [Smile]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2008 10:31      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife & I met online too. We really got to know each other before we met in person, and since we were using CuSeeMe we could tell if the other had a crazed look in their eyes and I could tell she wasn't a 12 year old boy pretending to be a woman. As far as actual online dating services or dating services in general I think they're a waste of money.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2008 10:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met my wife online. Not through a personals site though, by weird coincidence.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2008 14:31      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm neutral regarding online dating. I've tried different sites, but haven't really found them to be much more than a way to meet the occasional person. Then again, I'm just not very good at dating in general.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2008 06:06      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs....

In this case, I'm defining "disappointment" as the person I met online was not the same as when I finally met him face-to-face; either I had different expectations or he did.

After the third "disappointment," I pretty much gave up on the online dating route. In each case, I was never really upset, it was more of "well, it's his loss" kind of thing.

I believe in things happen for a reason...fate, destiny, etc...which is a good thing, because I eventually met my husband, through mutual friends, at a local race track (that story I'll save for another day...a case of "things happen for a reason.")

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

Posts: 29 | From: In the Heart of the Seven Mountains | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 11:10      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried online-dating but the pickings were slim in my locale.

Most of the people I talked to seemed too closed-minded to meet anyone interesting. I found a lot of profiles that made strict demands. Itís probably because people online tend to be terrible communicators.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture