homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Love Respect and the Truth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Love Respect and the Truth
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 11 posted August 27, 2007 21:27      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Respect and the Truth
What is it that we in life have forgotten about these things that make the relationship work.
My two cents, on the matter.

Love, this is the binder that makes you want to return to that person over and over again. It fulfills your need for belonging and reassures you when you’re in doubt. It can be a gentle touch to reassuring words to passionate sex when the mood takes you. It will unconditionally accept the good the bad and the “holy crap” I did that?
Respect is the condition to trust, without it we wouldn’t trust the person we love, and without it love doesn’t have a chance to survive .
The truth, all in all secrets and denial (the easiest way out) will destroy or strengthen your love and respect, sometimes you need to tell the truth however hard it may seem at the time or however mad your partner will be, you can work your way thru this using communication, rebuilding trust and respect and thusly the love will return once again.

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 17:24      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice - I totally agree - but I'm sure it can also apply to the prostitutes.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 17:57      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hal9000:
What is it that we in life have forgotten about these things that make the relationship work.

Who's we? Are you talking about yourself? Or your country? Or everyone?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 05:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that people have forgotten the importance of deep interpersonal relationships, and general feeling of selfishness all around. People have forgotten about the importance of family, and seem to have decided that hard work is, well, too hard. They want love, good jobs, lots of everything. But are unable to put the effort needed into it.

As I have stated before, most people use love cheaply. They toss the word around like a hackey sack at a Phish show.

It seems to be a damned theme to want perfection, and if a person is not perfect, to pack up and split. I think many people have unrealistic notions on how love and relationships work. Too many movies, harlequin novels, Penthouse Letters or something.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 21:37      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The We is me, and some of the people i know.

I think this is more of a lesson learned, than anything else.

I find myself looking in, from the outside, trying to figure out what it is that makes it all come together.

So these random thoughts congealed as jello in my head and i thought it might be good to share it with others.

I agree with C.S. that the word love is too loosely used. However the quest to be "In Love" is different.
Its a perspective thing, who and what you Love about a person should only grow over time, not dwindle.

I believe that you should want to enjoy the company of someone that thinks alike , has the same goals and ideals as you do.

But its not self love i am trying to describe here, its the feeling of belonging because your understood and accepted.

Once ... hold on... more than once i thought i was in love... I was mistaken, i was infatuated with only a few aspects of what i should have known. oh and guess what.... this is still all a guess as to what i think i should know...

Who knows maybe i am on the right highway with a moped.

--------------------

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 08:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah I agree with CS that love is thrown around way to much by certain people - but look at the definition.

quote:
Love has many meanings in English, from something that gives a little pleasure ("I loved that movie") to something one would die for (patriotism, pairbonding). It can describe an intense feeling of affection, an emotion or an emotional state. In ordinary use, it usually refers to interpersonal love. Probably due to its large psychological relevance, love is one of the most common themes in art. The majority of modern movies have a love story and most pop music is about love.
I usually save the term "Love" for my immediate family, Gf's, and my cat who has been there with me through the bad and the good.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 09:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have become much more selective about my use of the word. Now I save it for very important things like snack cakes and beer.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 10:00      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

Taken from "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 13:54      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English is such a sloppy language. What we sum up in one word, Love, the Greeks had at least three words for, each meaning a much more specific thing.

Erotas: "Erotic Love." Sexual, passonate love.

Phileo: "Brotherly Love." The emotions and feelings you have between your closest friends. The root of the name Philidelphia, the city of brotherly love.

Agapi: "Pure Love." or "Unconditional Love." The ideal love a parent has for a child. A self-sacrificing kind of love. A better description of Agapi can be found in The Bible: 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8.. that one verse you hear at weddings all the time.. "Love is patient, love is kind...." etc.

What was my point again? Oh.. right.. If we boil down these three /very/ different emotions/feelings/ideas down into one word, Love, and we don't distinguish between them, it's no wonder we get confused over what "Love" means.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 16:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there's that special kind of love that only shepherds understand...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 16:40      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love myself every chance I get...

[blush]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 17:02      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrm. Love is a chemical reaction, (yes as all emotions are we all know) but I still enjoy placing myself in those situations where the reaction is most likely to go off. It's like a drug!
Fall in love a little with a stranger drinking coffee... stalk them for half a block before becoming bored and then stop in at the coffee shop for another muffin. Fall in love with muffin...

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 22:19      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, Well i needed the laugh.. best of all i guess we all need a lesson in Love of the little debbie snack cake and an ice cold glass of milk.

Damm if that pesky perspective doesnt just get things out of wack for some and puts it in for others.

Btw i love my car, but i love my motorcycle more... and the car is jelous.

--------------------

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 4 posted August 30, 2007 22:20      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have new socks on.

--------------------

Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2007 02:58      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love new socks.
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2007 19:33      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the three loves previously mentioned, there's also a fourth kind called storge, which is the affection between parent and child.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 10 posted September 06, 2007 20:50      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See i learn something new every day. input

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture