homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » What is your perfect date? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is your perfect date?
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 11:16      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:
A beautiful woman; a warm, clear moonless night; dark skies, chilled champagne and my 5" Newtonian Reflector showing her the wonders of the universe.

Newtonian Reflector? Thats quite a fancy name, yanks usually call theirs "johnson," or something along those lines. Also, are you sure 5" would be enough to show the wonders of the universe? [evil]
Yes, well we all know Americans are anything but fancy. And as for 5"...well size isn't everything. You have to think of portability and control too. It can often be hard to get bigger scopes to where you want them to go. In my experience, if you know what you're doing, smaller scopes are just as good as bigger ones. [evil]
Yea, but a 5" scope has no "WOW" appeal.

If you tell a girl you have a 5" scope she probably isn't going to be interested in seeing how it works and you will not have the oppertunity to show her how skilled you are. On the other hand if you scope is named aricebo or NRAO very large array (or very large anything for that matter) you friend will probably be more interested in seeing what you can do with it. [evil]

My Uncle is a senior programmer for the NRAO VLA. Seeing the innuendo you guys attribute to that, it's no wonder my aunt acts the way she does [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 13:59      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
A beautiful woman; a warm, clear moonless night; dark skies, chilled champagne and my 5" Newtonian Reflector showing her the wonders of the universe.

Newtonian Reflector? Thats quite a fancy name, yanks usually call theirs "johnson," or something along those lines. Also, are you sure 5" would be enough to show the wonders of the universe? [evil]
Yes, well we all know Americans are anything but fancy. And as for 5"...well size isn't everything. You have to think of portability and control too. It can often be hard to get bigger scopes to where you want them to go. In my experience, if you know what you're doing, smaller scopes are just as good as bigger ones. [evil]

If you tell a girl you have a 5" scope she probably isn't going to be interested in seeing how it works and you will not have the oppertunity to show her how skilled you are. On the other hand if you scope is named aricebo or NRAO very large array (or very large anything for that matter) you friend will probably be more interested in seeing what you can do with it. [evil]

Oy, [Roll Eyes]

As any good spelunker knows, 5" is more than adequate for exploration. 5 1/4" being average, correct? And that's in the fully operational state. So anyone with an average (or even smaller than average, for that matter) *reflector* would be well served to learn how to get (and give) the most out of it.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 14:02      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Whether it be a first date or a date with someone you've been seeing a while and feel completely comfortable with, tell us what your perfect date would be. [Smile]

Women I've known for a while, on the other hand:

A friend of mine works in an ice cream shop on Fridays. I visit her there after I leave work. Our standard greeting involves her taking a running leap into my arms and I carry her around for a while, or until new customers come in. Any customers already in the store just have to cope. It's not a date, but for a few minutes each week the rest of the world just disappears.

A few years ago, another friend of mine and I would curl up together on her couch and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 each week. Sometimes, she would fall asleep on me, and I wouldn't move until she woke up. Again, we weren't romantically involved, but it was a really nice way to spend the time together.

As long as I could reach the remote control, it was. [Big Grin]

Poor Supaboy, all those superpowers and he still doesn't notice when I woman is in to him. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Silly, needs-to-be-hit-over-the-head-to-get-a-clue Supaboy.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 14:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah...while that might appear to be the case, it isn't always so. I can't speak for such giddy enthusiasm, but I have a female friend or two almost like that...and at least one is attached.

Methinks supa isn't an utter fool. [Wink]
(Unlike me. [Smile] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 14:48      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My Uncle is a senior programmer for the NRAO VLA. Seeing the innuendo you guys attribute to that, it's no wonder my aunt acts the way she does [Embarrassed]
I guess it's a good thing then that I may have the chance to get involved with the Square Kilometer Array project then. [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 14:56      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Paaalease. [Roll Eyes] Geek men are the worst for reading the signs. Even the ginormous neon signs. Think: Clark and LL.
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 15:03      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Paaalease. [Roll Eyes] Geek men are the worst for reading the signs. Even the ginormous neon signs. Think: Clark and LL.
Yes, yes we are! [crazy]
However, women could be nicer and just tell us... [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 16:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Geek men are the worst for reading the signs. Even the ginormous neon signs. Think: Clark and LL.

I dunno, I'd say Lois was the thick one of the pair.

repeat
{
   Glasses: Clark
   No-Glasses: Superman
} until Lois_gets_a_clue;

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted March 21, 2007 20:07      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two arms holding me, a kiss of thanks for keeping the kids away while he drummed, and clasped fingers between mine as he walks me to the bedroom.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 21:09      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, yes we are! [crazy]

Okay, allow me to clarify: [Smile] JUMPING into a man's arms and letting him carry her around and/or falling asleep on him, IS, for most women, TELLING him.

Next time a woman hurls her body at you or uses you for a pillow, ASK HER OUT. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Geek men are the worst for reading the signs. Even the ginormous neon signs. Think: Clark and LL.

I dunno, I'd say Lois was the thick one of the pair.

Haha! True. [Big Grin] Although, you know, Clark didn't have the curl.
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 21:10      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Two arms holding me, a kiss of thanks for keeping the kids away while he drummed, and clasped fingers between mine as he walks me to the bedroom.

Awww, you two are so cute together. [Smile]
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 22:57      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, yes we are! [crazy]

Okay, allow me to clarify: [Smile] JUMPING into a man's arms and letting him carry her around and/or falling asleep on him, IS, for most women, TELLING him.

Next time a woman hurls her body at you or uses you for a pillow, ASK HER OUT. [Big Grin]

If it happens in the next 14 months I will. After that I might get in trouble. [Razz]

--------------------

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 04:03      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, yes we are! [crazy]

If it happens in the next 14 months I will. After that I might get in trouble. [Razz]
Priesthood?
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 05:14      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the love of all things non-religious...NO! [evil]
How's this then: If any girl threw themselves at me in the next fourteen months I'd ask them out. After that hopefully it's only one girl throwing herself at me... [Wink]

--------------------

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 05:25      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For the love of all things non-religious...NO! [evil]
How's this then: If any girl threw themselves at me in the next fourteen months I'd ask them out. After that hopefully it's only one girl throwing herself at me... [Wink]

Okay Mister Cryptic. [Big Grin] It's good to know you have a plan. [thumbsup]
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 05:12      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Poor Supaboy, all those superpowers and he still doesn't notice when I woman is in to him. [Big Grin] [Razz]

The one who curled up with me on the couch to watch movies: there was kind of a triangle thing going on and the other leg of the triangle carried a huge torch for her. He was a friend of mine as well, so I chose the path that resulted in no bad blood.

The one who jumps into my arms, is smart, and is fantastically pretty, is also still a teenager.

So yeah, while I am cluless about the subtle stuff, I try hard to not do dumb things.

quote:

What he said! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 06:36      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
quote:

The one who curled up with me on the couch to watch movies: there was kind of a triangle thing going on and the other leg of the triangle carried a huge torch for her. He was a friend of mine as well, so I chose the path that resulted in no bad blood.

The one who jumps into my arms, is smart, and is fantastically pretty, is also still a teenager.

So yeah, while I am cluless about the subtle stuff, I try hard to not do dumb things.

quote:

What he said! [Big Grin]

You can't listen to dragonman. He's just as clueless as you are. [Big Grin]
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 20:53      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
A Gwar concert where we both get splattered with fake blood, semen and pus coming from various orifices of the demon men on stage.

Wait... that was last week... [crazy]

Once gay marriage becomes legal, you and I need to hook up! lol

Saw Lamb of God last month and had a jolly good time [Smile]

Other than cracking skulls together, I like museum walks, playing video games (on the same team is better), going to the zoo, history museums (they're always only as fun as you make them!), camping, and road trips. I like doing things or going places where I can goof off and joke around and cause shananigans at (any place where you don't have to take life so seriously and can relax).

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 13:44      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, another girl metal fan! [Big Grin] ... we need more of em round here now that Demos has disappeared. I'm just starting to get into it, really... since Gwar I've been obsessed [Smile] . I bet Lamb of God were <i>awesome</i>... lucky [Big Grin]

</gushing> [Wink]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 15:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone's said it yet, but every time I see the title of this thread, I think of "Miss Congeniality":

Stan Fields: Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date.
Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I would have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 15:42      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I don't know if anyone's said it yet, but every time I see the title of this thread, I think of "Miss Congeniality":

Stan Fields: Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date.
Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I would have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.

I've been thinking the same, but I was so shy to comment... I didn't want the topic to detour.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nintendo Girl
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8340

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 17:30      Profile for Nintendo Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and a few friends were discussing this the other day.

We were talking about how as soon as you turn 18 round where we live everyone asks if you want to go for a drink sometimes and I said that it just doesn't interest me and that guys would be better off saying:

"do you wanna come round and play video games?"

[Big Grin]

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 18:16      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo Girl:
Me and a few friends were discussing this the other day.

We were talking about how as soon as you turn 18 round where we live everyone asks if you want to go for a drink sometimes and I said that it just doesn't interest me and that guys would be better off saying:

"do you wanna come round and play video games?"

[Big Grin]

I see you'll fit in great around here [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 12:25      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Required Apparatus:

1. smallish triangle pick
2. torsion wrench
3. deck chairs, glasses
4. a bottle of port of acceptable vintage
5. waterballoons
6. drunken students

Method:
1. Using 1. and 2. gain access through the service hatch on the top floor to the roof of Glen Eyre halls.
2. Arrange 3 appropriately, with a reasonable quantity of 4.
3. Drink 4 until 2.00am, observing how the distant concrete monstrosities on campus look suddenly beautiful in the light of the setting sun.
4. Shortly after 2am, 6. may be found staggering down the path.
5. Combine vigourously with 5. and possibly 4. for maximal entertainment value.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 06:24      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Dinner (jalepeno and pineapple pizza or nachos are optimal)
2. Fun activity (may include computer games (strategy), TV series/movies/cartoons, stargazing, hedgehog hunts (with a camera), or anything else that seems like a good idea at the time.)
*Optional: Alcoholic beverages
3. Comfortable location (couch, bed, kitchen floor) and snuggling/cuddling/talking/etc.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture